PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY warning on folic acid

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, I just realized that my autocorrect has been changing micrograms to milligrams in the sway plans, and since folic acid is the one thing I never ever ever change and include in all sway plans, it took me a bit of time to realize this was happening. Correct dosage of folic acid is in MICROgrams, mcg or ug, not milligrams, mg. I think most people are aware of this but just want to make sure.

Northern_Shutterbug
August 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Well done for spotting it!

Just out of curiosity, how much do you recommend? I'm taking 400mcg a day

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I didn't catch it unfortunately, one of the blue swayers did. It only seemed to do it on things I edited so anytime I changed the doses, it switched from mcg to mg but only when I hit save, so I never even saw it happen - to me it looked like mcg!!! ARGH.

For pink swayers I recommend 1200-1600 mcg broken into 3-4 doses of 400 mcg taken 3-4 times a day, for blue swayers I recommend a minimum of 2000 mcg broken into 5 doses of 400 mcg taken 5 times a day

pebmcpd7
August 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Oh I did'nt realise I was to take them 4 times a day, I was taking 800mcg twice a day

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
It's fine Peb, they're just absorbed slightly better if you take them more often.

Mrs_P
August 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Just to be doubly sure my folic acid tablets are 400Ug, they say take 1 per day DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE (in big scary letters like that). I am swaying pink, i am supposed to be taking 2 or 3 of these a day aren't i (it won't do the baby any harm if i do catch)

Mrs_P
August 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
bumping .... just to check

Mum23boys
August 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mrs p thats fine - mine are 400 ug too which is just a unit of measurement which stands for micrograms. There are 1000 micrograms in 1 milligram.

Therfore Atomic says we can take 1200 - 1600 MICROGRAMS so we can safely take 3-4 tablets a day :-) PHEW !!! As thats what ive been doing for 6 weeks - hate to think i was poisening myself !!! ha ha

atomic sagebrush
August 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just to be doubly sure my folic acid tablets are 400Ug, they say take 1 per day DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE (in big scary letters like that). I am swaying pink, i am supposed to be taking 2 or 3 of these a day aren't i (it won't do the baby any harm if i do catch)

Yes, you need to be taking 2/3/4 a day for pink and 4/5/6 for blue. Pink swayers are eating a much more restricted diet than the average person and are getting less folic through diet, and blue swayers are eating foods that can cause folic acid to leach from your system and need more than the standard dose.