PDA

View Full Version : Telling people...

mummypink
September 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM
So, how many of you have told people about your pregnancy yet? What reactions have you had?

We told my mum and step dad as they were over staying with us last week and my mum would have guessed as I've been so nauseous and tired. I let dh tell his mum today on the instruction that she isn't to tell anyone else yet, I would rather wait until 12 weeks when hopefully we will hear the heartbeat. I'm worried about jinxing it I guess.
I was worried about what my mil would say, my dh called her on the phone and I dived in the shower lol! Apparently she was really fine about it and said congratulations, the bits I heard though when I was out of the shower were her saying how difficult it was going to be for us. That it would be a lot of work for dh looking after me and the boys while I was pregnant (wtf?! I am still doing pretty much everything despite feeling like poo the majority of the time!). She also said 'Oh, I knew a couple once who went on to have 5 daughters because they were so desperate for a son'. Which annoyed me, we have always said we would like 3 children, and in my mind I have always thought 2 boys and a girl would be perfect, but we're not just having another to try and have a girl. Of course that would be fantastic but I hate the implication that we wouldn't have had any more if our 2nd baby had been a girl.

I wish people would just keep their comments to themselves! My step dad even said 'oh but the chances of it being a girl are really low aren't they as you have two boys'. So I said 'well actually no the chances are pretty much 50% either way and actually mixed families are more common than same sex so you never know what we will get.'. Why is suddenly everyone an expert?!

I'm already worried about what the comments will be if we find out we are having another boy, I don't want people saying 'oh well, never mind' like he would be a big disappointment. The disappointment would be not having a daughter not gaining a son if that makes sense? I think only you lot really understand what it is all about, so glad I found this site!

mrshonyez
September 9th, 2012, 01:51 AM
We told our families almost right away, but I've been so nervous about the comments I will get for my other 2 being so young still. We announced online to everyone else on Thursday, and most everyone has seemed happy for us. But there has been a TON of "hopefully this one is a girl!" or "praying/crossing our fingers for a girl!". I haven't told many people that we were trying for a girl, but I have to keep saying that it would be nice, but that we are just blessed to be having another baby. It gets kind of frustrating. Then I've also had comments like," oh wow" or, "oh another one? I didn't know you were trying so soon". I don't think people actually think about what they're saying before it comes out... I'm thankful for this site too!!

mummypink
September 9th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I had a lot of that when I was pregnant with ds2 as there is only 17 months between my sons. It was on purpose as we knew we wanted 3 so made sense to have two close together so I could have a break before number 3 if I wanted. So many people thought he was an 'accident' and my mils response when we told her was 'Oh my goodness, you're going to have such hard work, how are you going to cope?' which she could have kept to her self! Ironic as there is only 12 months between my dh and his brother and they were both accidents!

Hopefully people will stick to more of the nice comments for all of us :)