PDA

View Full Version : Another Interior Design Question- Carpet Bedrooms ?????

AnnaG1
February 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
So I am having the new hardwood floors in dining room, kitchen, living room.. and this other room off of the living room - like a small family room-
DH and I are not agreeing on the upstairs- He wants wall to wall carpet- I hate hate hate that. He says he likes carpet in the bedroom and wants it on the stairs too. I dont want that. I wanted to sand/stain the stairs and put a runner. And do the same in the hallway upstairs. He claims this is "dangerous for the kids" to not have carpet on the stairs. I dont agree w that at all. Everyone that I ask agrees w/ DH ??????
Of course my first choice was wood floors upstairs but that didnt happen, which is really OK. Not a big deal.
Maybe compromise and get hall and stairs sanded/stained and carpet bedrooms- IDK

xnicolax
February 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Sorry, im with your husband on this one. I like wall to wall carpets in the bedroom. They are more comfortable and it makes less noise. We just carpeted our bedrooms that were wood, it sounded like a herd of elephants were running around upstairs when it was all wood. It's so much quieter now. I like the stairs and hall idea though with the stained wood and runner.

AnnaG1
February 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
LOL Thanks - The noise factor- I know. My parents said the same exact thing!!!

nuthinbutpink
February 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Regarding the stairs-- total wood stairs are dangerous but you said a runner and I don't think that is any different than carpet from a danger perspective and I agree with you that I like that look. But it is really expensive- not only do you have to re-do your stairs depending on how many treads you would see the wood on the sides but then you have to get a runner. Still like the look though!!

In theory I would like my entire home to be hardwood- from a cleaning perspective...carpet is so gross. But, like PP mentioned, the noise, and then I know I would want to buy cute rugs to put in all the bedrooms so I am back to carpet anyway. I think hardwoods are very pretty and I prefer them to carpet but I just don't know how practical having it in the bedrooms really is. Carpet is a lot cheaper obviously.

I still would do the stairs - with the runner!

AnnaG1
February 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Ok well time is of the essence - I want to get in the house already! (Once I am settled in house- its HT time) I have to make a decision today. I couldnt swing doing the floors everywhere :( - So I will do carpet in the bedrooms - Even though I think they are just dust collectors. But ..the noise..-good point! I was quoted 500 to sand/stain stairs and I dont know what the hallway would be, but how much could that be.. its not a big hall. I have no experience with sanding/staining- hope that it will come out nice-

nuthinbutpink
February 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
$500 for the stairs sounds reasonable to me! Sounds like a plan!

AnnaG1
February 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Another question if anyone interested in this lol- I have def. decided to sand/stain stairs- But I just cant go with the carpet. I 100% agree about the noise but I will have to just keep my fingers crossed with that one. Im not a big believer in "carpet makes the bedrooms cozy" like I've been told a million times. So, basically the reason for no carpet is just the germs/bacteria/dust perspective- and how it all just stays within the fibers of the rug despite vacuuming. I guess Im a bit of a germ-a phobe when it comes to this. We are supposed to go today to some stores and decide.
Someone had suggested a laminate "hardwood floor"- At first I was opposed but just for curiosity I went to the Pergo website and I really didnt think it was that bad. I know they have a bad rep for being "cheapy" but it didnt look *that* bad to me. Dh said def no but Im sure if I really want it he will just get tired of this conversation and just agree - and mostly b/c now this indecisivenss is just making it that much longer till we get in the house.

hopefulfornumber3
February 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I'm a little late here but thought I'd chime in:) My original vote for carpet or wood is all wood. I am not big on carpet either but it is used almost all the time so now- a days it's almost rare to not see carpet in bedrooms. The house I am in now is all wood. I do think you have to have some kind of rug in a all wood floor bedroom to warm it up. In my guest bedroom I have a 4 x 6 at the foot of the bed. I wouldn't do carpet on the stairs. I am kinda with you on the stairs thing. Doesn't seem *that* dangerous to me. I'd do wood risers and treads in a heartbeat. My opinion on the pergo- wouldnt do it. I am sure it is much less expensive but I guess I am a bit of a wood snob and prefer the real thing. Having said that I have heard that the Pergo/fake stuff has come a long way and I am sure looks much better than it used to but I still wouldnt use it. A friend of mine has it and it looks really fake. I think you will love having real wood in your home 100 xs better. ALso wanted to add about carpet. Carpet has come a loooonnnng way as well. There are some nice berbers out there that are not as "fluffy" that will maybe gross you out less, LOL. Just a thought. That horrible carpet that was kinda puffy and came in all sorts of colors, real popular in the early 90's, has come around:) Sisal inserts are another great option. Let us know how shopping goes today.

AnnaG1
February 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks Hopeful - I would have loved to put the teak upstairs but it really was just too much. I had to decide what was on my priortiy list and I didnt want to give up my French patio doors that I have always wanted So now Im stuck on what to do. I know- the fake aspect of the Pergo... DH said we go for all this money in floors and renovations and I want to put sh*t upstairs
Well, atleast the stairs aspect has been decided. What are Sisal inserts... Im going to Google.....

hopefulfornumber3
February 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Sisal is carpet. You usually see sisal in a cut floor rug but you can also do sisal inserted into your wood floor. You can do any carpet that way. Berber and sisal are just cleaner looking options...

AnnaG1
February 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM
So the final verdict - We have decided to go w/ an oak floors upstairs - its alot less expensive than the teak so it is do-able. Suprisingly after bargaining and relentless negotiating I was about 1000 more for the wood than a "quality" carpet.
Thanks for your advice!!!

JackiesHope
February 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oh I'm so glad you chose the wood floor upstairs. We used to have carpets in the bedrooms but that got old very quickly after we had kids and they would throw up at night and I'd be having to disinfect carpets.

AnnaG1
February 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Yep My thoughts exactly- I got a good price so Im happy. I did have to hear how I will regret putting all harwood throughout the upstairs and how I will eventually want carpet - I said I can guarentee that will not happen. So, we ordered it this morning!
We will be in the house for THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

Tweens&aBaby
February 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
UGH my DH is a carpet pusher as well. I love hardwoods! We fight about the same thing. We have a new house with carpet so we'll keep the carpet until it gets worn out then we will have the same battle :)