PDA

View Full Version : ICSI

GT77
September 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hi,

I wanted to know what you feelings are about ISCI. I read an article that stages ' the arbitary selection of sperm has a potential for increased risks of genetically abnormal embryos and birth defects including infertility. I am going to be doing IVF for PGD w/ ISCI & I am worried about these statistics. I was wondering if you could help ease my thoughts on this, or if you feel that is my partner does not have a low sperm count that I should avoid ISCI? Or do you feel that ISCI is needed for all PGD cases?

Any insight will be great!!

Thank you,
GT

Carole
September 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I wanted to know what you feelings are about ISCI. I read an article that stages ' the arbitary selection of sperm has a potential for increased risks of genetically abnormal embryos and birth defects including infertility. I am going to be doing IVF for PGD w/ ISCI & I am worried about these statistics. I was wondering if you could help ease my thoughts on this, or if you feel that is my partner does not have a low sperm count that I should avoid ISCI? Or do you feel that ISCI is needed for all PGD cases?

Any insight will be great!!

Thank you,
GT

Hi GT,
I wrote a blog post on this topic that might help ICSI, the Good, The Bad and the Ugly Sperm Injection: The good, the bad and the ugly. | Fertility Lab Insider (http://fertilitylabinsider.com/2010/06/sperm-injection-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/).

Some kinds of PGD require that ICSI be used to get a clean genomic sample. ICSI avoids the possible contamination by other non-fertilizing sperm. So depending on the type of PGD, you may not have a choice. Be sure to discuss this concern with your clinic, to be sure that you have to use ICSI.

The other reason that clinics might like to do ICSI for PGD is that doing ICSI means you have done everything technically possible to avoid a no or low fertilization result. You want as many embryos as possible for PGD so that you have lots to choose from when you get the results because some of the embryos may well be abnormal. However, in spite of ICSI, you can have no fert if the technique is done poorly or the egg doesn't cooperate to complete the fertilization process so ICSI is not a guarantee of 100% fertilization.

Especially if you have reason to believe that fertilization will be okay (eg. you have other kids with this partner or you have previous cycles with fertilization), then you may be able to skip ICSI- if not needed for the PGD. Then you have the benefits of natural selection where the fastest strongest sperm gets the egg. Hope this helps. Carole

GT77
September 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I have one boy that i conceived in 2 months. I need to know what the difference of PCR & Acgh that RMA offers? And, I do know to know if I should use ISCI or not?

Carole
September 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I have one boy that i conceived in 2 months. I need to know what the difference of PCR & Acgh that RMA offers? And, I do know to know if I should use ISCI or not?

Hi GT,
I am not an expert on the technical requirements of various genetic tests so I don't feel comfortable giving you advice. The best thing for you to do is contact the genetics testing lab directly. Generally, they have genetic counselors on staff or the PGD lab director (depending on your question) can answer this for you. Good Luck! Carole

BZ88
November 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I feel like ICSI may cause somewhat not genetically normal fertilizing an egg whereas in nature that wouldn't happen as much. I'm not technical this is just my opinion.

nuthinbutpink
November 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I feel like ICSI may cause somewhat not genetically normal fertilizing an egg whereas in nature that wouldn't happen as much. I'm not technical this is just my opinion.

Well, our body chooses the one best egg in which to ovulate each month instead of us shooting up ourselves with Meds to produce multiple genetically messed up eggs that would have never seen the light of day so ICSI is likely no worse than that. Just my opinion.