PDA

View Full Version : DHEA experience, anyone?

LolaInLove
February 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM
So, I saw some old IG posts in the HT boards about DHEA....I know you have some expertise in this area, NBP, but here is my deal: I'm 35, have been ttc for 7 months, and clearly have some waning fertility. DH is 38, and has a job that requires lots of clothing on the nuts (he's a professional dancer), so although he hasn't had any sperm analysis, I do worry a bit that he has some issues with sperm. That all being said, we did get pg last month, but I had a chemical....which ALSO worries me as I read most are attributed to an abnormal fetus. So, we were at the health food store about 4 weeks ago right after the m/c, and the supp guru there said that DHEA is showing some promise in the field of infertility. We decided to buy the lowest dosage formulas, 25mg (his is a men's formula) and give it a try. Since then, I've read some things about being careful with it.....

So far, we both have noticed an increase in mood and energy, and I had a tiny breakout during my past O time, which I usually do, but it was a bit more. And I had 4 days of +opks versus my normal 2. Other than that, there are no other noticable effects.

I guess my question is just a general "what do you all think".....I did have my dr check my prolactin and thyroid levels, which are normal, although my progesterone is a bit low so she has me on a cream suppository in the 2ww. I haven't asked her about the DHEA, but I figured I would give it a shot for a month or so and see what happened. Some IGers, plus that promising study out of NY, are what piqued my interest. Any thoughts? TIA!!!

atomic sagebrush
February 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Have you been checked for diminished ovarian reserve? I wouldn't panic just yet until you know for sure that your eggs have anything to do with it. I think you're on the right track with the professional dancer = lower sperm quality. AS you know there may be side effects in the long term and DHEA will also raise your testosterone (which may help OR harm fertility depending on your individual body chemistry). But, since you are a blue swayer I think it's "safer" for you to take than for a pink swayer, just make certain that you have no history of PCOS or adrenal gland problems.

LOTS of people have chemical pregnancies, even young women do and I don't think you should worry that it is indicative of any problem.

Personally I would take it (esp. at just 25 mg) and see what happened if you feel like you're informed of the risks.

I do have an essay about boosting egg quality and some good stuff about sperm in the blue swaying section!

LolaInLove
February 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks, Atomic, I appreciate your response! I did read your sperm quality post....and all of the others, too. Thanks for putting everything in such a easy-and-fun-to-read format! I do have my DH on a trough of supps each day. It's interesting how the month we got pg was the cycle we decided to bd everyday through O.

I got one of those FSH tests with my last pack of FRERs which I plan on doing during this next AF. Honestly, there is nothing pointing to me really needing it, I think I just need reassurance that it is not a terrible idea to give it a shot. I think if I started bursting through walls or growing a stache, I'd think the DHEA was excessive. I don't plan on taking it for a long time, though, was thinking this cycle and maybe the next....after that, I believe my doctor will put me on the Clomid and/or IUI train, which I'd rather not board.

nuthinbutpink
February 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I took it, Manhattan took it at 40 with IVF and there is another 40 yr old that suffered several early miscarriages on IG that rook it and got PG naturally.

I think it delivers and would take 75 mg per the NY study. There are really no major adverse side affects and in fact it is quite the opposite in that most are positive ones. I look at it as you have WAY more to gain than lose so why not? If you were PCOS then you do not need to take it ever.

nuthinbutpink
February 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
16 weeks was the minimum amount of time in the study to see results btw. You need to remember that it takes 90 days mature an egg.

LolaInLove
February 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks, NBP! Feeling better about it now....I will take it for the next few months then and keep ttc. And hey, we are feeling great, too, so that's a nice bonus!

Zivic-Bubac
March 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I took it, Manhattan took it at 40 with IVF and there is another 40 yr old that suffered several early miscarriages on IG that rook it and got PG naturally.

I think it delivers and would take 75 mg per the NY study. There are really no major adverse side affects and in fact it is quite the opposite in that most are positive ones. I look at it as you have WAY more to gain than lose so why not? If you were PCOS then you do not need to take it ever.

That's encouraging! I've also started taking it last cycle, I could only find 50 mg tablets, so I cut them in half, take 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. I'm 38 and before swaying never had any troubles conceiving but then again I was younger.
I am a bit worried about its safety during 2ww, I found conflicted info online.
I saw on the other thread that Atomic recommends to wean off slowly during 2ww?
Any opinions or facts about that?

nuthinbutpink
March 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I took it up until my ER because you are taking it to help boost your egg quality and once you ovulate, it is what it is as I like to say. So, after O you can just stop!

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thank you NBP!

familiesr4ever
March 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have been taking 75mg faithfully everyday since early January, I have been reading alot of good things about it and so far I have only had good responses with it, none of the bad side effects. I have noticed I have been it a very good mood lately, it seems to have helped me have a little more energy too. I have read that it is better for older moms because the natural DHEA that our bodies make when we are younger fades away, so it probably wouldn't help someone in their early 30's or 20's. We are looking into going High Tech in early summer and I just completed my clomid challege test and my numbers were suprisingly good for me(I am 41). Anyway, I really feel like the wheatgrass shots and the Dhea helped my FSH level, AMH, and estradiol. I am going for another consult to take to dr about them. Anyway, I say if you have been trying and are on the mature mama side of things then taking 50 to 75mg would maybe benefit you. GL.

nuthinbutpink
March 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM
I have been taking 75mg faithfully everyday since early January, I have been reading alot of good things about it and so far I have only had good responses with it, none of the bad side effects. I have noticed I have been it a very good mood lately, it seems to have helped me have a little more energy too. I have read that it is better for older moms because the natural DHEA that our bodies make when we are younger fades away, so it probably wouldn't help someone in their early 30's or 20's. We are looking into going High Tech in early summer and I just completed my clomid challege test and my numbers were suprisingly good for me(I am 41). Anyway, I really feel like the wheatgrass shots and the Dhea helped my FSH level, AMH, and estradiol. I am going for another consult to take to dr about them. Anyway, I say if you have been trying and are on the mature mama side of things then taking 50 to 75mg would maybe benefit you. GL.

I think you are very smart at 41 for taking it. Manhattan on IG took it(she was over 40) and saw a tremendous difference in quality from her first cycle where she did not take it! Good luck and I can't wait to follow your journey!

familiesr4ever
March 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks NBP! I think some of the info about it I got from IG on their HT boards, but with the crazy moneys, it is hard to find people posting anymore. Anyway, it's good to be here and to be able to get valuable information in this TTC Journey.

LolaInLove
March 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Good luck, familiesr4ever! I took it up until O this last time and got a bfp! I've had lots of unsuccessful natural months, so I think it really helped me, too!

nuthinbutpink
March 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks NBP! I think some of the info about it I got from IG on their HT boards, but with the crazy moneys, it is hard to find people posting anymore. Anyway, it's good to be here and to be able to get valuable information in this TTC Journey.

Well, I am pretty sure I am the one that started the whole DHEA thing on IG so I know just about all there is to know about it! Let me know if you have any more questions. I truly believe it got me my DS!

atomic sagebrush
March 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! If I TTC again I am DEF. going to go with it!