PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in 2WW

n710
October 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
So how bad would it be for a boy sway to have 1 or 2 drinks in the 2WW???

Is there a better or worse time in the 2WW to have a drink?

LacePrincess
October 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Okay, I'm really sorry if this sounds harsh, but I honestly think it's irresponsible to have ANY alcohol in the 2ww if you are actively TTC and KNOW you could be pregnant. I'm not usually so judgemental, and I do feel bad if I come across that way, but I feel really strongly about this.

Sure, a drink (or two) is incredibly unlikely to cause FAS, especially before implantation is complete, but why risk it?? As I've said before on another thread, alcohol is one of the few harmful substances we can control 100% in pregnancy. Personally I prefer the risk of zero.

Does it really matter which way it sways? Steroids and exposure to harmful chemicals sways pink, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to purposefully expose myself or DH to get my girl! A healthy baby of either gender is far better than my 'preferred' gender if the baby isn't healthy.

I know that in some places in the world, having some wine, etc., even during pregnancy is perfectly acceptable, but I would never do it. Along with having raw fish, undercooked eggs, etc etc. Sure the risk is tiny, but I couldn't live with myself if my baby wasn't healthy.

Having said all that, the only time I think it's ok to have a drink after ov would be the first 4 days or so, since the earliest the egg can implant is around 5-6dpo and alcohol metabolizes really quickly.

hopingforsaskia
October 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
It would be of no issue whatsoever to drink in the 2ww. Even after implantation occurs, the baby doesn't eat what you eat until after 4 ? weeks or so. I wouldn't do it, only because I'd be afraid of miscarriage or something like that (not that it causes it, but if I had an mc I'd never forgive myself for those 1 or 2 drinks).

In any case, it's totally your call. :)

n710
October 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks All,
It would be 12-24 hours after ovulation. DH and I have a thing to go to and it would be noticeable if I didn't have a drink. I just don't want to be bombarded with "Are you pregnant?" while I am TTCing you know. I am thinking of getting one and just sipping all night so it's not noticeable.

Does anyone think it could affect the chances of an XY fertilizing or not?

LacePrincess
October 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
OT - what's with the spam showing up lately? Grrr!

Anywho, back on topic. No a drink within 1-2 days after ov won't affect implantation. I also don't see any harm in stretching out one veeeerrrryyyyyy slowly. However, if you want to play it safe, why don't you just tell people that you're on antibiotics or some other med that you have to avoid alcohol for? Or get tonic water. Or say you're losing weight and booze is no-no. Can't you get a Perrier or something else?

You're the second post recently that was asking about drinking in social situations, and while I understand not wanting to share that you're TTC and all I think you've got to do what's best for the potential baby. After all most don't share that they're preggo until past the first tri, and I think most would agree with me that no alcohol at all after a confirmed BFP is safest. Personally I like the medication excuse the best.

Cinss
October 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I dont see a problem with it at all, infact red wine is very good health wise and would probably be the best option while swaying blue.

Emily
October 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM
If I were you I would hold a drink whilst talking then put it down next to DHs glass . DH then picks it up and drinks from it. Ta dah! Drinking without drinking - I did this with DS 2 but be warned DH will get hammered!!!

fresas
October 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I totally understand not wanting to risk anything, but it can take 3-7 days for the zygote to move through the fallopian tube and implant in the uterus.

Drinking a lot is never good for health, so this probably isn't the time to start binge drinking or doing keg stands with a beer bong down at the frat party down the street, but maybe a small drink would be okay.

I personally would try to hold off, but that's just me.

n710
October 6th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks Everyone! This is so helpful
I like the idea of getting the drink, but letting DH drink it. He really wants to let off steam anyway tonight and he has been so good the last two weeks.

The med. idea would work too, but we really have a few friends around us that would JUMP all over the fact I wasn't having a drink. Honestly, they probably wouldn't buy it. We've had 4 kids in 5 years and don't tell people until we are 4-5 months along so one friend already this summer was saying to DH, "I bet DW is already pregnant isn't she"

Thanks everyone, I really didn't want to have a drink in case I don't get pregnant and then will always wonder (even though I know it isn't logical). This is our only month to try until possibly Jan. so nervewracking trying to get it perfect

kaseybaby
October 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
i would have a drink, but I am super laid back.