PDA

View Full Version : Wanted girl, but tech says it's a boy. :0/

riss177
October 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I went for my nuchal translucency test yesterday (13 weeks, 4 days pregnant). The tech asked me if I wanted to know the gender of the baby. I told her if she thought she could give me a good guess I would like for her to tell me. She asked me to look at my baby (potty shot) and take a guess. Instantly I thought boy! And my mother in law thought so, too. The tech said boy as well. And as she continued through the test she commented a couple more times on how she really feels the baby's a boy. I didn't see any "3 lines" and it looked like a scrotum and little penis sticking straight out. I don't feel any doubts that it's a boy and I wish she would have given me the potty/nub shots so I could show you all.

I had a scare in the beginning of this pregnancy that the baby wasn't growing and I would lose it. I thought I was feeling mostly at peace with the thought of having a boy because of that situation. But, now I'm just feeling sooooo down about it. I went to the store earlier and wanted to cry when I saw a baby girl. I also feel guilty that I'm not as excited about this baby as I would have been if it were a girl. This is my second child and we plan on having 3. I still have another chance for a girl, but hate the thought of only having "one" more chance. I am thankful that I have a healthy son and will be having another healthy son (as far as I know), but I still can't help feeling very disappointed. I hate this feeling.

I feel like I don't want to be pregnant. I just want to skip all this and give birth to him. I just want to meet him, hold him and fall in love with him. Ughhhh... this is not fun anymore and I feel like a jerk :0( Please don't think I'm horrible.

homebirthing princess
October 7th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Oh sweetie no one thinks your horrible, after all I'm sure nearly all of us on here have felt exactly what your feeling now! I despreratly wanted ds2 to be a girl so at my scan I was so shocked he was all boy! I didn't speak all day and then I cried the whole of the day after, but then I just thought I need to buy him things so I went out and brought lots of cute clothes which helped abit I also had a 4d scan done which helped me bond, but It wasn't until he was born that I totally fell in love with him, he is just amazing and has the sweetest personality! I truly feel blessed he came in to our lives, and u will to I promise you!!! there is also something amazing about watching your sons play together my boys are best of friends and I love how my ds2 tries to be a big boy and copy his brother in everything lol
Just take sometime to 'grieve' for your 'daughter' and in time my love you will soon see how wonderful two boys can be, I wouldn't change mine for the world!! Also remember that at 13wks it could go either way so wait untill your 20wk scan to find out for sure because you could still be carrying a girl!
Big hugs hun xxx

joyfylgrl
October 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm so sorry :( Just a question, but did she do a side nub view as well? I've heard that *sometimes* girls can still have nubs in potty shots at 13/14 week mark...most mistakes I've heard early on are supposed boys that turn into girls as they still have nubs...

riss177
October 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Homebirthing princess ~~ I wasn't sure anyone could make me feel much better about it, but you did. You nalied it when you said "grieve for your daughter" because that's how I've been feeling. I let myself feel like I was going to have a girl. I had bought a couple girl things that I had out in our room and I put those away. Now I have a cute stuffed duck out for our baby boy. My husband has been feeling disappointed because he was hoping for a daughter, but we've been spending some time at night talking about all the wonderful things that come along with having two sons/brothers. I know it's still going to be hard for me at times, but I know I'll be ok. I'm happy to be feeling as excited as I am. I was feeling so guilty for not having the excitement! And I'm hoping I'm not just having a good day and that these feelings stick. I don't want to go back to feeling sad and disappointed :0/ **Are you going to find out what your are having? You are almost 20 weeks! Exciting! Best of luck!

Joyfylgrl ~~ The tech spent 40 minutes looking at my baby and commented on how she feels it's a boy three times. She also asked me if I wanted to know the gender and I don't think she would have asked if she didn't feel confident. She did show me a side view, but I didn't get to look at it as long as the potty shot. She had made a comment about how she didn't think "that" (genitals) would be turning girl. I understand what you are saying, so I'm waiting until 20 weeks to buy stuff for the baby. I'm convinced it's a boy, but if for some reason the baby turns out to be a girl it will be a wonderful surpise. Being as emotional as I am I might feel like I was grieving over my boy if it turned out to be a girl! Hahaha! I feel like a crazy pregnant lady ;0)

Thank you both so much for responding!

homebirthing princess
October 8th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Aww I'm glad I helped abit hun, honestly though having 2 boys is amazing!!! I'm glad your starting to feel excited too!
My scan is on weds so not long before I know if my dream of a girl has come true....this is my last shot so I'm praying it does feeling so nervous though! Xxx

riss177
October 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Aww I'm glad I helped abit hun, honestly though having 2 boys is amazing!!! I'm glad your starting to feel excited too!
My scan is on weds so not long before I know if my dream of a girl has come true....this is my last shot so I'm praying it does feeling so nervous though! Xxx

Ah! I'm feeling so nervous for you! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Let us know how it went whenever you get a chance. My fingers are crossed... best of luck! **BIG HUG**

amandao7491
October 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
They told my best friend last year that she was having a boy the whole time and she had a girl which was so rare to get a boy result and it be a girl. She was upset because she had all blue stuff from her first son and me & her family cheer her up when she got home with lots of pink items. You never know until they are out what they maybe!

riss177
October 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
They told my best friend last year that she was having a boy the whole time and she had a girl which was so rare to get a boy result and it be a girl. She was upset because she had all blue stuff from her first son and me & her family cheer her up when she got home with lots of pink items. You never know until they are out what they maybe!

Wow! I wonder how the doctors missed seeing that the baby was a girl. I can't imagine having prepared for a boy and then having a girl. Thanks for sharing this story with me =) Life is full of surprises!

Emily
October 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
We all know how you are feeling - cry it out it really does help.

I never thought that I would want more than two children (DS1 had lots of health problems, the birth was horrendous and left me with health issues and PPD for about 9 months). DS2 has been such a joy and the relationship he has with his brother brings us all such happiness that I am trying for number three. What I am trying to say is although I was gutted that he was a boy he has given me so much and made me love motherhood more than I thought possible so now I want three!

lisvna
October 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Riss I do understand your feelings! A few months ago I was in the same position. I did HT for a girl but because of severe fragmented embryos we put also boys back because we thought at the end a sibling for our son is more important. From the beginning I knew it was a boy that had sticked. I truly hoped it was a girl but the tech confirmed a boy with 13 weeks. I was devastated not because it was a boy but because I lost the chanche on a girl. We always wanted 3 kids. But after my sons birth (very traumatic, emergency c section and health problems with my son and me with a post natal depression) I wasn't sure if I wanted more kids. Then I chanced my mind and I wanted just one more kid but only if it was a girl and therefor the PGD to be sure it was a girl......so now I'm at the stage that we have to do HT again for a girl with the possibility it will never work because of the poor embryos. I hoped so much that the second one was a girl so that was " in the pocket"........but I can tell you I'm very happy pregnant right now and I'm sure you will be! (Sorry for my bad English its hard to explain in other language).

riss177
October 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Emily ~~ Bless your heart! You've been through so much! I am really looking forward to my son being able to have a brother so close in age. I'm definitely excited to see the bond that they will have together. I just can't help but to be worried that I only have one more shot left for a girl and I'm sure you can relate to that. I'm already thinking about trying again and I'm still pregnant! I've had mostly good days, but I was dreaming of having a daughter last night so I'm feeling a bit crazy and down today. Thanks for responding to me. I appreciate how you pointed out that your second son made you love motherhood even more. I'm looking forward to that feeling! Best of luck and I hope you get your girl!

Lisvna ~~ Wow... I'm sorry you've had to go through all that you have! I think I'm feeling similar to how you were... that I'm scared I don't have much of a chance to have a daughter. Everyone in my family jokes about how my husband and his brothers can only produce boys. I hate hearing that and I know this might not be true, but I feel like I'm destined to have only boys :0( I'm glad that you are very happy pregnant and I hope I get to the point where I can be happy pregnant. Right now I just want to fast forward time and have my precious son and not go through the pregnancy part. I really hope if you try again that you get your daughter! Thanks for sharing your story with me. You're helping me to feel thankful for my situation. You are a strong woman! And your english was just fine ;0)