PDA

View Full Version : 2 dpo w/symptoms? Is that even possible?

Allyson1429
October 9th, 2012, 02:46 AM
My dh and I just started ttc this month. I'm 2 dpo and definitely not getting my hopes up but for the first time every I have spotting w/O on Saturday. Today I have been feeling REALLY crampy in my back and lower abdomen. I have had a major headache all day which I never have at all. I have felt some sharp pains in my side and my right bb is tingly. It's the feeling that you get when your milk lets down. Also just 5 minutes ago I started having some heartburn. The only times I've ever had heartburn was when I was pg with ds1 and ds2. Also everything tastes weird to me. I've also been extremely tired all day. Is it even possible to have any of this 2 dpo. Oh! And my cm is watery and there's not a lot. Any advice would be helpful. Like I said I'm not getting my hopes up because with ds 2 it took 10 months to concieve.

twinkle33
October 9th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Hi there, I had cramping with my two boys from day of ovulation till around 3mths! Good luck to you!

Allyson1429
October 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Thank you. I've got my fx! Gently swayed girl so here's hopping I get a bfp in 2 weeks!!

prayingforason
November 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm with you, feeling early symptoms but wondering if I am nuts. My boobs feel like they are huge and going to explode yet look really the same. So dehydrated, tired, headache. Hope we get our BFPs.

LacePrincess
November 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Is it possible to feel pregnancy symptoms at 2DPO?

Absolutely not. Sorry. The absolute earliest the egg can even start implantation - and that is EXCEPTIONALLY early - is 4dpo. Implantation then takes a day or two. The vast majority of eggs implant between 5-7dpo. You wouldn't want the egg to start implanting at 2dpo because you'd have an ectopic, the fertilized egg needs 2-3 days to travel down the fallopian tubes in the first place.

The reason you feel symptoms is because the hormone that causes pregnancy symptoms (nausea, cramps, boob pain, fatigue, and all the rest) is progesterone - which pregnant or not is produced by your body in the luteal phase. It's just that if you get pregnant progesterone is produced continuously to maintain the pregnancy, and if you aren't then the progesterone falls so you get your period.

Sorry to disappoint, but you'll really just have to hang on to see!

hopingforsaskia
November 9th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Ooh Lace, I disagree with you there. As soon as sperm meets egg I believe the cogs start turning. I had preg symptoms with both of my last pregnancies from 2-3dpo ... So while I don't know if your particular sxs are preg related, I do think you can experience signs very early. Fx'd for BFP's! Xx

Mrs_P
November 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Is it possible to feel pregnancy symptoms at 2DPO?

Absolutely not. Sorry. The absolute earliest the egg can even start implantation - and that is EXCEPTIONALLY early - is 4dpo. Implantation then takes a day or two. The vast majority of eggs implant between 5-7dpo. You wouldn't want the egg to start implanting at 2dpo because you'd have an ectopic, the fertilized egg needs 2-3 days to travel down the fallopian tubes in the first place.

The reason you feel symptoms is because the hormone that causes pregnancy symptoms (nausea, cramps, boob pain, fatigue, and all the rest) is progesterone - which pregnant or not is produced by your body in the luteal phase. It's just that if you get pregnant progesterone is produced continuously to maintain the pregnancy, and if you aren't then the progesterone falls so you get your period.

Sorry to disappoint, but you'll really just have to hang on to see!

I have to admit i agree with this point of view, i've had every symptom under the sun early on in the 2ww but all cycles were bfn. The one cycle was really bad, starting at 3dpo i had a metallic taste, sore boobs, felt sick etc turned out that cycle i had a second o 6 days after first, it was a fake think it was hormone and my body was struggling to o. With my bfp cycle i had nothing til right on when af was due.

Not saying that your not pregnant but symptoms are more likely to be from something else

Thorz300
November 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Either way, my fingers are crossed for you! I dont know when symptoms start but I'm 2DPO and feeling the stab/twinge in my right ovary area....who knows really?

LacePrincess
November 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
What bears repeating is that pregnancy symptoms are NOT different from 2ww symptoms. I'm not saying any of you ladies are imagining things, or that your previous 2ww symptoms were psychosomatic. You CAN get pregnancy symptoms in the 2ww whether pregnant or not. Again, because pregnancy symptoms are caused by progesterone. High progesterone causes nausea, fatigue, bloating, sore boobs, moodiness....sound familiar?

So early luteal phase symptoms aren't caused by pregnancy. They're caused by sustained progesterone. It is IMPOSSIBLE for HCG to be causing symptoms at 2dpo because HCG isn't produced until after implantation, which isn't until 5-7dpo.

It's like the implantation dip, or triphasic chart. You can get all of these whether you're pregnant or not. Cramping and twinging at 2dpo (assuming you actually O'ed and it wasn't a fake O) is due to the ovulation process finishing up and originates around your follicle/corpus luteum, not the uterus.

The point is, pregnancy is not a separate event from the 2ww. It's the continuation of the 2ww. Think of AF as cutting short the reproductive process, and successful pregnancy as continuing the reproductive process, and you can see how pregnancy symptoms are not different from 2ww symptoms. They're the same thing.

hopingforsaskia
November 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM
So early luteal phase symptoms aren't caused by pregnancy. They're caused by sustained progesterone. It is IMPOSSIBLE for HCG to be causing symptoms at 2dpo because HCG isn't produced until after implantation, which isn't until 5-7dpo.

Ok... I totally disagree with this statement. I read (perhaps falsely, but I don't believe so) that as soon as sperm meets egg, it starts to churn out hcg. It doesn't register in high enough levels for it to be caught on a stick or blood test until .. whenever .. but it is in your system in tiny amounts.

I experienced COMPLETELY different symptoms with my first pregnancy to my normal 2ww symptoms. My boobs grew HUGE and super painful at literally 3dpo. That is an estrogen thing by the way, not progesterone. :)

In any case, I don't ever discount 2ww pregnancy symptoms in the first week or so, because they can and do happen. It might be a simple case of super sensitivity to my own body -- but I've ALWAYS known I was pregnant before getting my bfp (I have had bfp's as early as 6/7dpo, as was the case with ds2).

Good luck anyway, hope you guys get your bfp's!

LacePrincess
November 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
There is an estrogen surge at around 3-4dpo (and often a corresponding dip in the bbt too, which freaks people out), and this post ovulation estrogen surge triggers an additional surge of progesterone. Which is why you often see charts with a temp dip at Ov, 3 days of rising temps, a temp dip at 3-4dpo, and then rising temps after that. This is normal even if not preggo.

I did read a new theory a few weeks ago that the fertilized egg, even while 'in transport', does secrete a hormone but it's not HCG. I can't remember the name and now I can't find the source I was reading again. Grr. Anyways, so yes your body can 'signal' to the uterus to make it nice for an incoming fertilized egg. So it's possible if you're super sensitive to have physical symptoms from this hormone.

However, the thing is, many many many more eggs are successfully fertilized and more than half (53%+) don't implant successfully. So even if you sense that you caught the egg, it's still up in the air whether the bean will stick. And if it doesn't stick you're not pregnant. And, every pregnancy is different, so maybe with one pregnancy you'll feel it from fertilization almost, and from another you won't know a thing until 2 weeks later.

Symptom spotting in the 2WW can drive you nuts. Not to mention that we've all 'felt' SOOOOO pregnant only to be devastated at AF's arrival. It's difficult, but I'd rather assume that any physical symptoms I feel are due to normal 2ww hormones so I don't drive myself crazier than I already am! ;)

hopingforsaskia
November 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Fair enough... I'm at that point too! My symptoms are very promising (but I'm only 6dpo!!) so I'm trying to just "assume" it's pre-menstrual symptoms instead.. Haha. I'm failing, but at least I'm trying, right?? ;)

fish2012
November 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
ha ha I feel like I have had.....not sure if it's just all in the hopefull mind thou ;-0

Wanting-a-girl
November 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I'm not pregnant I will declare I'm crazy lol I was throwing up today :s 10dpo

yamanote
January 13th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Lace, I think the hormone you read about was EPF- Early Pregnancy Factor. It starts being produced the minute the egg is fertilized, and acts as an immunosuppressant until the hgc kicks in.
To my way of thinking, pregnancy symptoms before implantation are either just high progesterone (in the case of bfn cycles) or a combo of high progesterone and EPF (in the case of bfp cycles)
Obviously we're all highly aware of the slightest changes...most people might not even notice haha! Plus, some women are probably way more affected by EPF than others.

That's my 2cents anyway ;-)

WantingPink
January 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I have to say that I had very early PG symptoms with all three if my PG. I had extremely sore boobs (and I NEVER get sore boobs ever). I was so positive I was PG at 5 dpo with this baby that I told my SIL which I would NEVER do unless I wasn't 95% sure. She wants me to have another baby so bad that I wouldn't do that to her unless I was very sure there was a GOOD chance.

So you can talk about all the technicalities of why there shouldn't be early symptoms however, I can tell you when I am PG 10 days before my missed period which is better than any PG test out there and I have been right 100% of the time!!

hopingforsaskia
January 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM
So you can talk about all the technicalities of why there shouldn't be early symptoms however, I can tell you when I am PG 10 days before my missed period which is better than any PG test out there and I have been right 100% of the time!!

Me too. ;)

HappyMedium
March 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
What bears repeating is that pregnancy symptoms are NOT different from 2ww symptoms. I'm not saying any of you ladies are imagining things, or that your previous 2ww symptoms were psychosomatic. You CAN get pregnancy symptoms in the 2ww whether pregnant or not. Again, because pregnancy symptoms are caused by progesterone. High progesterone causes nausea, fatigue, bloating, sore boobs, moodiness....sound familiar?

It's like the implantation dip, or triphasic chart. You can get all of these whether you're pregnant or not. Cramping and twinging at 2dpo (assuming you actually O'ed and it wasn't a fake O) is due to the ovulation process finishing up and originates around your follicle/corpus luteum, not the uterus.

The point is, pregnancy is not a separate event from the 2ww. It's the continuation of the 2ww. Think of AF as cutting short the reproductive process, and successful pregnancy as continuing the reproductive process, and you can see how pregnancy symptoms are not different from 2ww symptoms. They're the same thing.

Old thread...I know....but I am reading posts for information and wanted to correct this. Women CAN feel pregnancy sxs as soon as conception, because of Early Pregnancy Factor (EPF). It is a hormone created upon conception that causes the immune system to lessen and prevent spontaneous abortion or rejection of the morula. Colds, sneezes, etc...are possibly indicative of pregnancy, and if your body has been pregnant before, it can respond accordingly with next pregnancies. Just wanted to educate everyone.
So...yes..we can have MANY pregnancy sxs in the TWW, because progesterone is present, but our bodies DO know they are pregnant. The tests are just not out there for us to use OTC..you must get a blood test for EPF.

atomic sagebrush
March 8th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I don't think I ever replied to this thread BUT...

I know no one who is convinced about symptoms early on will ever believe this, but I do not believe that people RELIABLY can tell if they are pregnant 2 DPO. It's simply not possible in any reliable way, to feel the action of a tiny ball of cells regardless of what hormone they're giving off, and I really, really strongly urge you guys to not be symptom spotters looking at every little thing because it creates a lot of misery and heartache for people who work themselves into a frenzy convinced they're pregnant only to have a BFN.

Let's say for the sake of argument that this is possible for 10 or 15% of people. (I don't think it is, just saying for the sake of argument). That means that 90% of the time, people are symptom spotting wrongly and setting themselves up to be really sad when BFN rolls around.

Trust me, I have 20 people a month telling me all their symptoms in exacting detail only to end up getting BFN, and/or people with no symptoms stunned by BFP. If there was anything REALLY to this then we'd see it. But all I see is a bunch of people who end up really sad every month when they have symptoms but aren't pregnant.

If you are 1100% sure you had symptoms of pregnancy hey, that's cool. I'm not trying to disbelieve you. Believe what you would like. That is fine. But I do not want anyone driving themselves nutty over these symptoms on the basis of something they read in a thread on this site that is simply not true in any reliable way for the vast majority of people.