PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal tests

Zivic-Bubac
October 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
What tests are you planning to do ( or have already done)?
There is u/s of course, double test, triple test, CVS and amniocentesis.

My ob/gyn was all about amnio in this pregnancy bcos of my age but I refused it bcos it's invasive and carry some risks, like m/c. Also amnio only guarantee you your baby won't have Down, Edwards or Patau syndrome. There are so many monogenetic illnesses that can not be detected by amnio. I also did double and triple tests since they are not invasive.

However I'll probably listen to my ob/gyn next time and do the amnio, just to make sure baby doesn't have Down since the incidence is so high after 40.

Anyone did MaterniT21 test?
I'm sooo hoping it will be available here in a year or so but that's not likely :( As far as I know it is available only in USA and Germany for now and it's pricey.

How scared are you ( if at all ) of risks of invasive prenatal diagnostics? I'm s*!tless.

Shellbelle
October 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I only do the non-invasive tests because of the risks. They freak me out, too. Even if the risks are slight, I've had three friends this year alone who have lost their babies after amnio, and I'd just rather not risk it to get information that will not change my mind about carrying this baby to term. My doctor's perspective has always been that if it would determine whether or not you would continue carrying the baby, then go for it, but otherwise the risk is not worth it. Now that I'm 36 we'll see if he changes his recommendations, but for me, the answer is still no.

I would LOVE to do the MaterniT21 test but I'm not sure if my doctor offers it. I plan to ask at my next appointment, because we should be scheduling the NT scan then.

Emily
October 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Zivic-Bubac;263823]What tests are you planning to do ( or have already done)?

However I'll probably listen to my ob/gyn next time and do the amnio, just to make sure baby doesn't have Down since the incidence is so high after 40.

Hi there, I've just done an online search re Downs and age and at 40 it seems the chance is 1 in 100. That is 99% not Downs.

Only do what your gut tells you not your OB and keep in mind that amnio has 1-2% chance of miscarriage. My friend went through this dilemma recently - being told that the chances of your baby having Downs are the same as the chances of losing that baby through amnio. Luckily all went OK for her but she thought about it for a really long time.

What is MaterniT21? Here in Spain they combine the scan with a blood test but am pretty sure that it is not what you are talking about.

I totally agree that the invasive tests are incredibly scary. I'm 37 so am having to really think about all this for the first time.

Zivic-Bubac
October 16th, 2012, 07:49 AM
What is MaterniT21? Here in Spain they combine the scan with a blood test but am pretty sure that it is not what you are talking about.
.Scan and blood test are so called double and triple tests where they check your free beta hCG and AFP ( alpha feto protein) blood levels and in triple tests they test your estradiol blood level as well. Combined with u/s it gives statistical probability of having baby with trisomy. Triple test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_test#Double_test)

I've done it, and results were great, I was in a category of 23 yo :bigsmile: However my ob/gyn was constantly reminding me it's only statistics.

MaterniT 21 test is non-invasive, they take your blood sample, and with it you get the same info as from the amniocentesis! It is so cool, but I'm sure it won't be available in Eastern Europe for at least a decade if not longer :worry:
Trisomy 21, 18 and 13 | Sequenom Center for Molecular Medicine (http://www.sequenomcmm.com/home/health-care-professionals/trisomy-21/about-the-test/)

My Three Sons
October 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I won't do any of the tests unless there is something that they can do to fix things. I would never terminate, so I just don't even want to know.

ELP
October 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I'll just go for the routine scan and blood tests, nothing invasive. Like PP said I wouldn't terminate so I'd rather cross the bridge when it comes:)

atomic sagebrush
October 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I ended up deciding not to do any of the tests. For CVS we would ahve had to drive all the way to Seattle so that wasn't going to happen. We were going to do amnio with DS 3 but I started having really bad dreams every night and both DH and I realized that a baby with Down's wouldn't be the end of our world.

My doctor is very supportive about it and he advised against the triple screen test because it would have automatically been positive - age is the biggest factor in the equation they use so you can have normal results on everything and still get a positive on the test just due to your age.

I am very scared of the risks and as my doctor said, the risk is that you can end up losing a healthy baby, and then due to age, either you can't get pg again or else your risks will be even higher the next time through.

Zivic-Bubac
October 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I am very scared of the risks and as my doctor said, the risk is that you can end up losing a healthy baby, and then due to age, either you can't get pg again or else your risks will be even higher the next time through.Exactly. Although the risk is low ( 1:400-1:200 or 0.25-0.5% thank you Anchor! :wink: ) if it happens to me, then it's 100% to me kwim? And knowing my luck that is exactly what would happen.

I was thinking what if I get result everything is a-ok but I miscarry in the meantime?

I hope and pray MaterniT 21 test will be available by the time I get pg with my boy :wink: If not, I'm not going to do amnio :agree: