PDA

View Full Version : post partum belt / girdle

Lassie1982
October 10th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Just wondering if any girls have ever used a post partum belt / girdle and can recommend one?
(yes i realise i am getting very ahead of myself - but im a plan and prepare type girl LOL)

something like this
Postpartum Recovery | Pre-pregnancy Jeans |Bellefit Maternity | Bellefit Maternity - Postpartum Support | C-Section & Natural Birth Recovery | Medical Grade Girdles & Corsets (http://www.bellefit.com/recovery.php)

I had my belly bound after I had ds...but there was nothing like this in the market in australia at the time so i did it the old fashioned way with some thick linen, safety pins, and lots of strength from DH. I wore it virtually 24/7 for the first 6 weeks and by my 6 week checkup my stomach was washboard flat and firm as it had been pre pregnancy and have never had any 'jelly belly' or wobble - and i genuinely believe i owe it all to the binding (coz i didnt do any exercise!)

Id rather 'buy' a belt / girdle though this time round because im hoping it will be as effective whilst being less bulky, and I don't want to have to rely on DH to 'wrap' me up if i use the same method as last time.

So i was wondering if anyone could recommend one they have used?

dloui128
October 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I have never used one but these do sound like a good idea

Zivic-Bubac
October 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I wore it virtually 24/7 for the first 6 weeks
Exactly. I was wearing it all 3 times, in fact still wearing it since 6 weeks expire on Saturday lol!

My midwife recommended it, just like you said, 24/7 for 6 weeks. You can also do moderate exercise with it while lying on your back, stating from 4th week, like lifting your legs etc.

I got mine back in 2003 and it is basically 17cm wide elastic stripe and 1m long. On one side it has touch tape. You put it on while you're lying on the bed, so the belly is in the flattest possible position and then you wrap it around you.

dloui128
October 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Exactly. I was wearing it all 3 times, in fact still wearing it since 6 weeks expire on Saturday lol!

My midwife recommended it, just like you said, 24/7 for 6 weeks. You can also do moderate exercise with it while lying on your back, stating from 4th week, like rising your legs etc.

I got mine back in 2003 and it is basically 17cm wide elastic stripe and 1m long. On one side it has -I don't know the right word in English- we call it bur, so you fasten it with it. You put it on while you're lying on the bed, so the belly is in the flattest possible position and then you wrap it around you.

So you put it on the day you come home from the hospital? And did you notice a difference?

Shellbelle
October 10th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I used a Belly Bandit with my last ds -- and yes, put it on the day I came home from the hospital. It worked wonders -- not just for helping my belly go back to "normal" but just in how I felt when I got home. I loved the support and it was worth every penny.

Belly Bandit® (http://www.bellybandit.com/store/p-1-original-belly-bandit.aspx)

dloui128
October 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I used a Belly Bandit with my last ds -- and yes, put it on the day I came home from the hospital. It worked wonders -- not just for helping my belly go back to "normal" but just in how I felt when I got home. I loved the support and it was worth every penny.

This looks awesome, I think I am going to try it out. Do you sleep with it too?

Shellbelle
October 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM
This looks awesome, I think I am going to try it out. Do you sleep with it too?

I did, because I liked it so much. I know other people who didn't like wearing it at night though.

Zivic-Bubac
October 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
So you put it on the day you come home from the hospital? And did you notice a difference?Yes, you'll def see a diff in 2-3 weeks :agree: It's great support for jelly-belly. Mine looks just like Belly Bandit® (http://www.bellybandit.com/store/p-1-original-belly-bandit.aspx) but it's longer.

dloui128
October 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Yes, you'll def see a diff in 2-3 weeks :agree: It's great support for jelly-belly. Mine looks just like Belly Bandit® (http://www.bellybandit.com/store/p-1-original-belly-bandit.aspx) but it's longer.

I am definitely buying this thing, I freakin hate the jelly belly feeling

Northern_Shutterbug
October 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Does it work if you've got a mummy tum before you get pregnant again? I never used any support after the boys and have saggyness now.

Shellbelle
October 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I am definitely buying this thing, I freakin hate the jelly belly feeling

It really really helps with feeling normal again, especially when it comes to clothes. I was back in regular jeans much, much faster because it holds everything in and makes it comfortable to have a waistband on your tummy. I just wish I had found it when my first two were born, LOL.

Shellbelle
October 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Does it work if you've got a mummy tum before you get pregnant again? I never used any support after the boys and have saggyness now.

It did for me. I will NEVER have the tummy I did before having kids. I know that. But I didn't use it until after my 3rd baby was born, and the difference was really amazing. I had bad PPD with him, and wearing normal clothes, etc, really, really helped my outlook.

Lassie1982
October 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
dloui the concept is FANTASTIC!

I'd never heard of them, it was my mum who told me about it, but couldnt find anything like it when i was pregnant with DS. So i wasnt going to bother, but my mum wouldnt take no for answer, and given that after 4 kids she always has a flat firm tummy i thought id give it a try. She literally turned up at the hospital with the linen that she had cut to size and length and a packet of safety pins and gave instructions to DH on how to put it in REALLY tight LOL - she said i'd be thanking her later and i was!

It took some getting used to the first 2 days - because i made sure DH did it REALLY tight, but after about 2 days, it actually felt wierd NOT to have it on. I slept with it on...i really only took it off to shower.

Just wasn't sure which one to buy (i have found a couple on the net) because i want one that is going to give me the really strong compression

Lassie1982
October 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Shell - was this one nice and strong? Did it hold you in really tight? not sure wether to get on like that...or like this
Postpartum Girdle, belly wrap, medical compression garment, c?section recovery, exercise for c?section, after c?section, c?section pain, pregnancy and weight, baby weight (http://www.bellefit.com)

Shellbelle
October 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Lassie, I haven't tried others to compare, but yes.

dloui128
October 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Ok so I have been checking these things out and I have a question. I am 5ft 9 inches tall and the belly bandit looks like it may be too short for me. They sell them on amazon so I was reading some of the comments and it was 50/50 responses, some women loved it and others hated it because they said it rode up and they had to buy two different sizes, but that would make sense to me because as soon as you get smaller you are going to need a smaller one. So I guess my question is, is the belly bandit going to be long enough for me considering my height?

Shellbelle
October 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Ok so I have been checking these things out and I have a question. I am 5ft 9 inches tall and the belly bandit looks like it may be too short for me. They sell them on amazon so I was reading some of the comments and it was 50/50 responses, some women loved it and others hated it because they said it rode up and they had to buy two different sizes, but that would make sense to me because as soon as you get smaller you are going to need a smaller one. So I guess my question is, is the belly bandit going to be long enough for me considering my height?

I am 5 8 and it fits well. It will depend more on how long your torso is, I suppose. It goes from my hips to my ribs. If they have the dimensions on the site, you could measure to see how far up it will come on your belly.

dloui128
October 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I am 5 8 and it fits well. It will depend more on how long your torso is, I suppose. It goes from my hips to my ribs. If they have the dimensions on the site, you could measure to see how far up it will come on your belly.

I will check if they have the dimensions, thanks :)

Did you need to order two sizes?

Shellbelle
October 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
The one I ordered was tight and hard to get on at first, so no. By the time I started to think I might need a smaller size, I was almost done wearing it. I can see, though, how people will order one that's easier to put on when they're just delivered, and then need a smaller one later on. It was TOUGH to clasp at the beginning.

BellaMia
October 30th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I should have used this!

Hobbermittens
October 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I got one, and even though I like having it on for security reasons (makes me look less fat, helps my self image) it doesn't seem to be doing any permanent fixing. I already lost all my baby weight (still have 30 lbs to lose that I gained before getting pg though) and I have diastasis recti really badly (I look about 6 months pregnant all the time). I don't think the girdle will fix that. :(

The Anchor
October 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I bought the abdomend on advice from my doula, but ended up having a natural birth :)

strawberrymom
November 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM
I used the Shrinxxx Hips brand and it worked wonders. After DS1 my hips had expanded so even when I was at normal weight, I couldn't fit in anything. After DS2 I used this and my hips not only went down to pre-DS1 size, but I lost an additional 2 inches. If anyone wants to look into the science aspect there is a chemical called relaxin which actually loosens our hips to prepare for birth and you have a couple weeks after to take advantage by using a girdle or such before you "reset".

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Ive only just come across this thread :) Lassie i had one similar to the pull up version that you linked, i found that the bit at the top would flip and roll down sometimes when i would sit down or bend over so i was constantly pulling it back up into position and trying not to move in a way that would bring it down again. It wasnt a pregnancy one though it was just a belly sucker inner, and it did get too big for me after about a week so i didnt get a smaller one.

The Belly Bandit looks like a great one, seeing as it has velcro it would get smaller with you and it looks thick so no rolling down, i am definatly going to try to find one of these. Thanks for the links ladies :)

Dreamofpink
November 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
WOW! This sounds like a great idea! How does it work with C-sections though? When I do get pg again, I'll no doubt have to have another section (I don't want one!!!:() but would definitely invest in something like this if it'd help the healing process. I have a lot of problems with SPD during pregnancy and wore a belt with each child. It made a huge difference and I can see how wearing an equivalent after having a baby would really help support my core muscles and ease any back pain. Has any one else worn one after a section?

strawberrymom
November 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
WOW! This sounds like a great idea! How does it work with C-sections though? When I do get pg again, I'll no doubt have to have another section (I don't want one!!!:() but would definitely invest in something like this if it'd help the healing process. I have a lot of problems with SPD during pregnancy and wore a belt with each child. It made a huge difference and I can see how wearing an equivalent after having a baby would really help support my core muscles and ease any back pain. Has any one else worn one after a section?
I haven't had a section but you can check this out C-Panty | C-Panty (http://www.cpanty.com/) They seem to get good reviews on sites and I always had it in the back of my mind if something went wrong and I needed a c-section.