PDA

View Full Version : Growth hormone and CJD.

threemonsters
October 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hi, I have been asked to use a growth hormone this time. This is a sensitive subject for me as my father died of CJD recently and the first question was, has he ever taken a growth hormone.

Do we know is this day and age this drug is safe?

I have been given a couple of options

genotropin 5.83mg or saizen 6mg

The other brand mentioned was
Humatrope

Would you recommend one being safer than the others?

Do you know if I can order this in the US and get this shipped to me?

Thank you for reading.

nuthinbutpink
October 10th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Well, my DD is on it and will likely be for the rest of her life. It's been used for over 30 years with children. I'm not aware of any major medical issues that her doctors are concerned but I have to look at the good versus the risk anyway.

That disease has been around since the 1920s, before growth hormone. It can be genetic and if they think growth hormone can bring it on I'd look into being tested for the gene(they have identified it).

Other than that, it's literally a 1 in a million disease so odds are you'll be fine. I certainly understand your concern though and I'm not even sure it's worth the risk given your fathers conditions and the fact that it hasn't really been proven to help.

I'm sorry about your dad.

threemonsters
October 10th, 2012, 12:10 PM
There is no additional risk to me as my father had Sporadic CJD. They believe now that lots of the people that got CJD was people that used a growth hormone as this was made from cows abd sadly was contaiminated with CJD.

Several of the clinics in the uk are saying they wouldn't recommend the use of a GH but I think this is just because they are behind the times with ivf.

So my question is what brand is safe to use and how can I obtain it? I am looking for reassurances as I am not getting that from the uk. My risk to CJD is no greater than the next persons, thank goodness! Tganks for your kind words about dad.