PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer's Birth Story

Hobbermittens
October 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I went in to be induced on October 1st in the evening. They checked me, but I was only 1.5 cm dilated (I had hoped for more). The baby was still high at that point, so my doctor started the pitocin in hopes that I would dilate and the contractions would force the baby down.

I was on pitocin through the night, and contracting fairly regularly, though the contractions were not horribly painful. The nurses checked me several times, and I wasn't progressing at all, so after 12 hrs, they stopped the pitocin and gave me cytotech--the pill that softens the cervix. After about 12 hrs and 3 doses of that, things finally started happening. Once I got to 3 cm, my doctor started me back on pitocin, and things got moving pretty quickly. The contractions started to become very uncomfortable, and I asked for an epidural, but was told I couldn't have one until I was 4 cm. The nurse left for a while, and the contractions were getting really strong. I couldn't take it much more, so I called her back in after about an hour.

The nurse came in and checked me again and said I was at 5 cm, and that the anesthesiologist could come give me my epidural. I got up to use the bathroom, and when I sat down on the toilet, my water broke. Every time I have had my water break during labor (usually the doctor does it) my labor progresses very quickly afterwards, so I told the nurse to hurry and call my doctor back in (he had gone home). By the time the anesthesiologist got my epidural going, I was at 7 cm, and by the time my doctor got there 15 minutes later, I was ready to push. I am so glad my doctor made it in time--he is awesome, and I would have been disappointed to have someone else deliver my baby.

The whole time I was pushing, I kept thinking, "Please be a boy, please be a boy!" but I still really thought I was going to have a girl. After about 20 minutes of pushing, Sawyer was born. The doctor announced, "It's a boy!" and the first thing I said was, "REALLY?" and "Are you SURE?" and then my doctor handed the baby to me so I could see for myself. It was the most amazing surprise ever!! I got to hold him for a long time before they wanted to clean him up, and I got to cut the cord (I have never done that with any other baby--the doctor has always done it).

He was born at 3:02 am on October 3rd, and he weighed 8 lbs 6 oz and was 21" long (a pound and an inch bigger than all my other babies!).

Here are a couple pictures of my sweet baby boy. :)

coocoobananas
October 11th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for sharing!! He is so sweet:)

Shellbelle
October 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
He is so adorable! Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations again!

Myloves
October 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
He's perfect! Thank you for you lovely birth story (I've been dying to read it).

dloui128
October 11th, 2012, 08:02 PM
he is such a cutie!

cravingsalt
October 11th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!!! That had to have been so amazing. So the million dollar question- are you glad you went team green?

Congratulations again!

Yuzu
October 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I love the name Sawyer. He's such a sweet, handsome little guy. You must have been thrilled when doctor said, "It's a boy!" :awe:

skrimpy
October 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Aww thank you for sharing your birth story Hobber. What an awesome moment that was when you got to hear "It's a boy!"

He is really precious and already has that classic "little boy" look to him. So cute!

Butterfly Spirit
October 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM
That made me tear up a bit! He's adorable and sweet and I'm SO glad that you are enjoying him to pieces! :)

BabyCakesTor
October 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
He's beautiful!!!! Very handsome! Congratulations:bowdown:

jennaesue
October 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
He is so precious! So alert and bright-eyed. I love his name. :)
Congratulations again!

The Anchor
October 12th, 2012, 11:27 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the name...it's perfect, just like him!

Yahmama
October 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
That is such a beautiful story! I'm so glad you had a wonderful surprise at birth :)
I do wonder, though, how your dr. was able to use Cytotek? I thought they had banned it here in the US? There were tons of lawsuits over it because women ended up with ruptured uterus and even some died :( Not trying to be negative about your beautiful story, but I had just always heard how dangerous it was and so was wondering why some drs are still using it...

NCBeachyGrl
October 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
He is soooooo cute! Congratulations!!

Hobbermittens
October 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
That is such a beautiful story! I'm so glad you had a wonderful surprise at birth :)
I do wonder, though, how your dr. was able to use Cytotek? I thought they had banned it here in the US? There were tons of lawsuits over it because women ended up with ruptured uterus and even some died :( Not trying to be negative about your beautiful story, but I had just always heard how dangerous it was and so was wondering why some drs are still using it...

Really?? I had never heard that, and I had no rupturing, so who knows? I did hemorrhage after the birth, but that happened to me during the birth of my first son, too, and there was no cytotech used then. And actually, they gave me a ton of cytotch afterwards to help with the bleeding, and it actually made the hemorrhaging stop.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but they do have really good medical care here, so I am not sure why the Dr was able to use a drug that is questionable.

Yahmama
October 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Really?? I had never heard that, and I had no rupturing, so who knows? I did hemorrhage after the birth, but that happened to me during the birth of my first son, too, and there was no cytotech used then. And actually, they gave me a ton of cytotch afterwards to help with the bleeding, and it actually made the hemorrhaging stop.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but they do have really good medical care here, so I am not sure why the Dr was able to use a drug that is questionable.

Looked it up again, and I guess it's only banned in certain hospitals.
The Dangers of Cytotec - Pregnancy, Parenthood & Playtime - Connecticut News (http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/05/01/the-dangers-of-cytotec/)
It's really an anti-ulcer drug and in some women (no one knows if they will be one of them) it causes contractions so hard that it causes the uterus to rupture, which is why I guess some hospitals won't allow it anymore. Thankful you didn't have any problems! It's prob ok for most people, but because of the possibility, is why that started going around about it I guess.

Tiffani3
October 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Congratulations again he's lovely so pleased for you xx

OnlyPraying
October 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/bluebooties/welldone.gif

Hobbermittens
October 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Looked it up again, and I guess it's only banned in certain hospitals.
The Dangers of Cytotec - Pregnancy, Parenthood & Playtime - Connecticut News (http://blog.ctnews.com/elwood/2010/05/01/the-dangers-of-cytotec/)
It's really an anti-ulcer drug and in some women (no one knows if they will be one of them) it causes contractions so hard that it causes the uterus to rupture, which is why I guess some hospitals won't allow it anymore. Thankful you didn't have any problems! It's prob ok for most people, but because of the possibility, is why that started going around about it I guess.

That is scary! I read the article, and I have to say, if I had known any of that before, I would have probably asked my doctor to use something else. Thank goodness nothing bad happened. :worry:

jils04
October 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM
very cute. Congrats.

isabella13
October 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hobbermittens,

Don't know if you remember me from Plumlily. I remember we both had the same gender makeup for our first 2 but I had a son for #3 and you a daughter and we both wanted the opposite! I'm so glad you went for #4 and got your beautiful son. I still dream of having another daughter, but don't think I can get my hubby on board. I just feel like she is missing! I don't want to regret not having a 4th in the future when it's too late! How is it with 4?

Hobbermittens
October 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hobbermittens,

Don't know if you remember me from Plumlily. I remember we both had the same gender makeup for our first 2 but I had a son for #3 and you a daughter and we both wanted the opposite! I'm so glad you went for #4 and got your beautiful son. I still dream of having another daughter, but don't think I can get my hubby on board. I just feel like she is missing! I don't want to regret not having a 4th in the future when it's too late! How is it with 4?

Hi! I remember you! Aren't our 3rd kids the same age (March 2010)?
So far 4 is a little hard, but mostly because the newborn stuff is hard with a 2 year old around. I know it will get better soon, when Sawyer (and my 2 year old DD2) is a little older!!

I hope you can convince your DH to go for your little girl!

isabella13
October 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hi! I remember you! Aren't our 3rd kids the same age (March 2010)?
So far 4 is a little hard, but mostly because the newborn stuff is hard with a 2 year old around. I know it will get better soon, when Sawyer (and my 2 year old DD2) is a little older!!

I hope you can convince your DH to go for your little girl!

Yes Hobbermittens my youngest son was born in April
2011! So they are about 1 year apart! I'm so
Happy for you! I'm glad I found this site- might try
Swaying if we go for it!

boyplease
November 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Congratulations on your adorable little boy!
Are you glad you waited til birth to find out? I think I want to do that this time around!

Hobbermittens
November 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Congratulations on your adorable little boy!
Are you glad you waited til birth to find out? I think I want to do that this time around!

Thank you!! I am absolutely glad I waited. It was the best surprise EVER!!

Cinss
November 30th, 2012, 04:28 AM
What a cutie :)

auroara78
December 4th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I can't believe I never replied to this post!! You know I am soooo happy you got your little man...he is just perfectly made for you and so adorable! Congratulations again!!

luckylass
December 4th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Congratulations and what a handsome baby boy you have. I love his name too...