PDA

View Full Version : Homebirth anyone?

aroundtheworld
October 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Is anyone in this group planning a homebirth?

This will be my 5th child; my fourth natural birth and my third homebirth. I'm curious if anyone else is planning to work with a midwife and/or looking to birth at home as well...?

3boys
October 12th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Hospital for me... The thought of a home birth scares me (I'm a wimp). Good on you gal x

dreamingpink77
October 12th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Me too, I'm too scared of a home birth but it would be nice actually giving birth in a place you love :)

Mum23boys
October 12th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Me if I get pregnant again - I think you replied on my thread already hun - Homebirth for me is SAFER than a hospital birth. in hospital there was 1 midwife flitting between 3 women - at home i had 2 all to myself. In hospital my c section took 45 mins to get as the guy to do the spinal was busy. In an emergency from home in ambulance id be first in to theatre and transfer time is 15 mins so thats still half hour quicker than if i was already there... I would NEVER have a hospital birth again after my home water birth. Not unless there was a proper medical reason. my husband was the ost against homebirth person you would ever meet and even on the day wasnt 100 % behind me - now to this day he says it was the best experience of his life and he tells everyone about it - ( i think he loved the fact that after the birth we were all tucked up in bed with a pizza watching tele and cuddling our newborn together not him being ushered out because visiting time had ended !! )
Each to their own and i can see why people are scared but for me it is the only way to birth :-)

aroundtheworld
October 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
There's nothing to be scared of. :) Technically the "unknown" is scary for most people, whatever and where ever that may be. It's a choice and certainly takes preparation, however I suppose childbirth in general takes quite a lot of attempts to prep.

Mum23boys- Thanks for sharing your story! I'm glad to find a fellow, happy homebirther. :bighug:

cvd
October 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I will be having a planned csection. :) my DS was a csection, they decided to give me one as he was not coming down and his heartbeat kept dipping and I had the best experience with it! Hoping the second goes the same :). I definitely give kudos to you ladies, that takes a lot of courage :)

aroundtheworld
October 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Best wishes with your planned cs, cvd.

Hoping to meet some other women having homebirths in this group over time; hopefully the thread title will bring them in. :)

weeziewoozles
October 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Not in the Due group yet but wanted to chip in. We bought a birth pool and had it in the dining room. Loved it! Had candles and music on (a complilation CD I'd burned for the purpose), easy access to the fridge for drinks for me and sustenance for DH. Where we live you get two midwives come to your house who are therefore completely dedicated to the care of you and the baby. I felt absolutely safe. Also, where we live, they inform the ambulance crew of your address and what's happening so that if they want you to transfer in to the hospital it can be done really quickly. With DS1 I got to 9cm at home and then the midwife spotted some meuconium. Their policy is then to suggest you transfer in case baby's lungs needs suction. The ladies seemed happy to continue if I had said no, I wanted to stay at home, but I thought I would follow procedure so was whizzed to hospital in an ambulance (which arrived minutes after they called it). DS1 arrived about 45 mins after we got there. I stayed in overnight just because of the time of day really otherwise I would have come home the same day. With DS2 we were really fortunate that it all went to plan. He was born in the lovely birth pool at home. It was wonderful to be able to have a bath in my own bathroom straight after and snuggle up with DH that night in bed after a large portion of hot fish and chips (for those people who don't know the health service in the UK is renowned for appalling food!). Unless you have a medical condition of some kind, I'm home birth all the way x

aroundtheworld
October 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Not in the Due group yet but wanted to chip in. We bought a birth pool and had it in the dining room. Loved it! Had candles and music on (a complilation CD I'd burned for the purpose), easy access to the fridge for drinks for me and sustenance for DH. Where we live you get two midwives come to your house who are therefore completely dedicated to the care of you and the baby. I felt absolutely safe. Also, where we live, they inform the ambulance crew of your address and what's happening so that if they want you to transfer in to the hospital it can be done really quickly. With DS1 I got to 9cm at home and then the midwife spotted some meuconium. Their policy is then to suggest you transfer in case baby's lungs needs suction. The ladies seemed happy to continue if I had said no, I wanted to stay at home, but I thought I would follow procedure so was whizzed to hospital in an ambulance (which arrived minutes after they called it). DS1 arrived about 45 mins after we got there. I stayed in overnight just because of the time of day really otherwise I would have come home the same day. With DS2 we were really fortunate that it all went to plan. He was born in the lovely birth pool at home. It was wonderful to be able to have a bath in my own bathroom straight after and snuggle up with DH that night in bed after a large portion of hot fish and chips (for those people who don't know the health service in the UK is renowned for appalling food!). Unless you have a medical condition of some kind, I'm home birth all the way x

Wonderful! I'd love to have you join our group. :)

Jadis
November 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Me! I'm due in June and, hopefully, will be having my second homebirth! For my family, it just feels like the right choice.

Ribbons
November 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I'm having a second home birth, loved my first one! Due in Jan :) can't wait to hear your story, aroundtheworld!

My birth story (http://genderdreaming.com/forum/birth-ultrasound-stories/8749-ribbons-homebirth.html)

fish2012
November 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM
crashing here but if i get preggie i'd like a home birth - not sure dh will be that pleased thou ;-0

Jadis
November 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
fish-my DH was really resistant at first, but once he got all the information he needed, he was fine. Now, he'd say it was the best way to have our baby.

Mum23boys
November 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Fish DH was dead against homebirth with ds2 and so i ended up in hospital and with ds3 there was no way i was backing down and now he raves about it to everyone - he cant believe he was ever against it and even talked his best friend into having one and actively promotes it to anyone he knows that is pregnant !! This baby so long as all is ok will definately be another homebirth

Mum23boys
December 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Didnt even need to tell the midwife today at my phone booking in - she said "i assume you will be havig another homebirth?" :-) nOW JUST TO HOPE NO REASONS POP UP THT GET IN THE WAY

Adia
December 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I would love to have a homebirth as I HATE having a baby in the hospital, so many unnecessary needles and pokes, and drugs, etc. I have tried to convince Dh of a homebirth but he says NO.

We are scheduled to tour a birth center that doesn't use epidurals, etc so that is my compromise. I am letting him think he has the choice, but my mind is already made up, no hospital this time as its my last one and I am doing what ever I WANT!!!