PDA

View Full Version : Odd of the same gender, Mixed gender Do you believe this chart???

6bluewant1pink
October 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I've heard some say the more kids you have the less your chances will be of having the same gender every time. What is your say on this Ladies? Where do you fall on this chart? Here is a chart i found.

Family Size Same-Gender mixed-Gender
2 Children 50% 50%
3 Children 25% 75%
4 Children 12.5% 87.5%
5 Children 6% 94%
6 Children 3% 97%
7 Children 1.6% 98.4%

Well i guess i am RARE 3% LOL.

cravingsalt
October 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I've seen these, and I know they're close to true (although slightly more males are born in reality). It makes me want to feel better- like I'm statistically likely to get a girl next. But then the probability is still 50/50 (if that), so I don't get my hopes up.

Rosie85
October 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I feel the same as craving. By statistics I feel better and feel I have a good chance for a girl but by probability I expect another boy.

atomic sagebrush
October 19th, 2012, 08:06 PM
i don't have time to explain fully right now but it doesn't quite work that way. you do NOT have 98% chance at a girl if you have 6 boys already. i'll explain as soon as i can

here is a link you may find interesting http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion-ttc-boy-girl-home-swaying-info/762-statistics-question-anybody-know.html

6bluewant1pink
October 19th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Atomic i am about to read it! i know i am boy doomed LOL. I think it's the other way around for me, like 1.6% chance i would have a girl :(
But i still remain hopeful i try to at least.

Rosie85
October 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
It is always good to have hope!

6boysneedasis
October 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I for one wish it was 98% chance of our next baby being a girl, but same as you 6bluewantonepink, I feel we are boy heavy in the likelyhood of our next baby's gender :worry:
p.s. nice to meet you 6bluewantonepink!!! Here we both are, not beaten yet lol!! :highfive:

mykiwibaby
October 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Wow 6bluewantonepink and 6boysneedasis - your two ladies are an insperation! 6 little boys and you are trying for that baby girl. Bless your hearts and my prays are with you that your pink dreams come true!

mykiwibaby
October 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have 2 little girls, and if you would like my advice, its the Dairy!!! i would drink at least a ltr of milk if not more a day! Good luck!

hopingforsaskia
October 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Haha -- Not great advice Kiwi LOL!!! (Totally against atomic's recommendation :o ) I'd suspect there were more than likely other factors at play when you got your girls. :)

mykiwibaby
October 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Oh of course Saskia - I dont hold diet totally responsible for getting my girls at all. Im sure it was a number of factors, the most important one being that the XX won the race!!! LOL

hopingforsaskia
October 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hehe yay for xx winners!! Surely my hubby has one of those for me this time.... *sigh* ;)

6bluewant1pink
October 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM
6boysneedsasis we need to finally get a :pinksperm: to win the race we sure deserve it after 6 boys! Nice to meet you too! i am so glad to meet someone who can relate and know how it feels to be in my shoes.
mykiwibaby thanks for the kind words :)

6boysneedasis
November 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
6bluewantonepink - there's not many of us around!! Here's to pink swimmers!!! My head is battered with all the info though!! Part of me just wants to see what happens naturally :-s

Mum23boys
November 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM
6 boys - Inact 6 kids full stop !!!! WOWZERS !!! My hats go off to you both.

To us 4 is normal - 4 is like what our friends consider 2 to be. Non of our friends or family would go past 2 thats the "norm" where we live so we are "mad" having 3 and "insane" to be thinking of a 4th - but to us its normal - why would you only want 2 children ?! ha ha - Now5 to us is alot well not alot but 1 more than is comfortable so would be like a 2 parent going to 3 . but 6 - Thats a whole new ball game - i really do envy you - i wish i had the time / patience / space and finances for more than 4 but think my sanity is almost shot just thinkig about the 4th !!!

6boysneedasis
November 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mum23boys - I felt the same as you once! ;-)

fish2012
November 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
um this chart doesn't mention order, i see alot of people who have dd first then go on to have 2/3/4 boys...to me that fits with LE diet n swaying, family meals stressfull

atomic sagebrush
November 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
um this chart doesn't mention order, i see alot of people who have dd first then go on to have 2/3/4 boys...to me that fits with LE diet n swaying, family meals stressfull

That is a trend I have also seen a lot. Whereas I've hardly ever seen an older boy followed by all girls. The only time I know of that happening was a mother who changed partners after her first son was born and then had 6 girls.

Eleanor Roosevelt had a girl followed by 5 boys, and Mel Gibson and his wife had a girl followed by 6 boys.

atomic sagebrush
November 3rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have 2 little girls, and if you would like my advice, its the Dairy!!! i would drink at least a ltr of milk if not more a day! Good luck!

I did too and got 4 boys eating/drinking tons of dairy every day.

atomic sagebrush
November 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've heard some say the more kids you have the less your chances will be of having the same gender every time. What is your say on this Ladies? Where do you fall on this chart? Here is a chart i found.

Family Size Same-Gender mixed-Gender
2 Children 50% 50%
3 Children 25% 75%
4 Children 12.5% 87.5%
5 Children 6% 94%
6 Children 3% 97%
7 Children 1.6% 98.4%

Well i guess i am RARE 3% LOL.

Ah I'm glad this got bumped up again because I never did get it answered properly.

First off, as a PP has already pointed out, those stats are for coin flips, NOT gender ratio. Actual gender ratio is not 50-50, more boys are conceived and born than "should" be if gender was really random coin flips.

But just for the sake of argument, let's accept these numbers at face value. This data does NOT MEAN that once you have 7 children, you have 98% chance of getting the opposite. It means that if you take 100 people randomly selected from the population as a whole, 98.4% of them will have a mixed gender family while only 1.6% of them will not. Your odds are still about 50-50 for each subsequent child, that doesn't change, but if you toss coin after coin, it's going to come up tails eventually!