PDA

View Full Version : Plasma DNA testing- is this legit?

LolaInLove
February 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.prenatalgeneticscenter.com/

babydes56
February 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Lola, i actually looked into it yesterday & read an article that said it isnt. They were advertising it for £179 & you could test as early as 7wks

Jojogirl
February 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
back in 2006, I took a test like this and it was wrong for me. Told me I was having a boy and I had a girl :)

luvncamrin
February 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I used this place....it's a legit lab that does things other than gender as well. They were great to work with and 100% professional at every point. So far...according to nubs....it's looking correct! The Rh- test gives gender as well... and dr.s order that... this is probably just the same thing but for women with normal blood types! This isn't like some of the old frauds that have to do the blood stuff at home... this ... they actually send you out to a legit blood draw lab in a hospital!

skrimpy
February 23rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
I think this is legitimate. It looks just like the test for RhD genotyping without that component. The gender portion of the test has been studied in the US and Europe for several years now and is very accurate. Google "cell free fetal DNA" to see studies done.

I had the RhD screening done (Lenetix Labs in the US did mine) and results indicated Rh- Female. Our u/s reports that Female is accurate and we will type at birth for her Rh status... but I fully expect it to be correct.

These tests have very high accuracy rates and are even accurate proportionally for twins (b/g twins will show "normal" boy levels, b/b twins will show "high" boy levels, etc).

My doctor's office drew my samples and they overnighted them right to the lab. Office faxed the results right to the doctor's office in about 3 days.

Like I said, different lab, but this test looks just like the gender component of the RhD genotyping.

Jojogirl
February 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
wait...hold the phone. Explain this Rh thing better! Ok...I really don't want to find out with my next...LOL So I really won't...but I'm curious. I'm Rh-....they do a test now to see if the baby is pos or neg?

luvncamrin
February 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
jojogirl- yes.. and it tells gender!

LolaInLove
March 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hmmm, interesting! May be worth the $ if I am going nuts about gender at that point. Thanks for the input!

luvncamrin
March 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
so I would say go for it! My gender scan at almost 16 weeks just came back 100% boy.... I think this blood test is legit!

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
so I would say go for it! My gender scan at almost 16 weeks just came back 100% boy.... I think this blood test is legit!
So excited for you!!! Gathering that your blood test was right then, ya? It seems like it's pretty foolproof...if there is Y chom there is a boy, if not, it's prob a girl. Well, if I can ever freaking get pg I will go for it!

luvncamrin
March 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
well...i think there is a twist to it that makes it slightly more complicated them that....the lab tech actually got on the phone and explained it to me...which was really cool.... she said that some pregnancys.....very early on start out with two embys and one may absorb or dissolve... which is kinda common....so she said if someone didn't have an early ultrasound to know if this has or hasn't occured then it could through the test off if the blood is taken too early. After ten weeks they know how much of the fetal dna should be present per fetus. That is why you have to do it 10 weeks or later. At that point it's pretty much foolproof! YAY!! I could still do flips!

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Makes total sense. I had no idea that the double embryo thing was so common! Well, for $300 or whatever it was, it will be worth it to me to know the gender. I just don't know how psycho about gender I will be (of course not even pg yet)....maybe I'll be nonchalant and afraid to hear girl again so won't want to know gender till birth. Anyway, I bet you are over the moon! So fabulous! Enjoy some blue shopping, girl!

babydes56
March 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Lola i hear you on this one, i think i'll be scared to hear girl so i bet i'm going to be a nightmare for my DH because i'll be changing my mind all the time about finding out. I'd like not to know so that i can just accept what i get but then it would kill me not knowing lool

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Lola i hear you on this one, i think i'll be scared to hear girl so i bet i'm going to be a nightmare for my DH because i'll be changing my mind all the time about finding out. I'd like not to know so that i can just accept what i get but then it would kill me not knowing lool
I am EXACT same way....but I know I'll be in there at that u/s and not be able to resist....and may be able to tell the difference also with having seen the triple lines twice already. I remember at DD2's big u/s, I even asked her if she could get a good potty shot up and let me guess, and sure enough, she positioned the wand just right and bam, 3 lines clear as day. I really wasn't that upset as I always kinda wanted 2 girls and 2 boys, but my ex-dh sure was.

I'm too much of a planner, though, and sorta Type A personality, so I am sure I'll want to know.....and I bet I'll splurge for this test also!

luvncamrin
March 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
i was so nervous before opening the document in the email...that i couldn't see straight and had a cold sweat! I was down right shaking!

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
i was so nervous before opening the document in the email...that i couldn't see straight and had a cold sweat! I was down right shaking!
OMG I can only image....I'd probably be close to vomiting.....

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
How long did you say it takes to come in the mail?

luvncamrin
March 17th, 2011, 11:31 PM
they overnight the kit to you...i got it at 10am and had the blood draw completed and had the kit shipped back by 1pm....and they got it the next day at noon. Got the results via e mail in 5 business days!

LolaInLove
March 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Wow, that's pretty efficient! Thanks for all the info, I will keep that in the back of my mind for the future. Enjoy your pg and your baby boy when he comes!!!!