PDA

View Full Version : Honey/ botulism in infants

Hobbermittens
October 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Stupidly, I made myself some chai, and without thinking, I gave my baby a pacifier before I washed my hands. The chai was powdered (in a packet, just add hot water, like hot chocolate), so I don't know how much honey I would have had on my fingers, but I am totally worried that the baby may have gotten some from his pacifier. :worry: Honey ca have botulism, in case anyone didn't already know, and babies shouldn't have it before they turn 1.

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen? Was the baby okay?

Mrs_P
October 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Oh hunny i'm sure he'll be fine, even if you did have some on your hands it would have been a minimal amount and the amount of hunny in that minimal amount would have been a trace at best but if you worried mention it to your doctor in the morning x

Butterfly Spirit
October 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm thinking the same thing as Mrs_P I would think a trace amount should do nothing. :)

Mrs_P
October 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
I did a google search as well and although it sounds scarying the sites say it is VERY rare even in babies that are fed hunny directly its one of those things they know poses a risk and it can eliminated by a blanket ban

Hobbermittens
October 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know I am paranoid, but I just worry so much! :worry: I hate the thought that I could have screwed up a perfectly good baby. :(

Mrs_P
October 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Your fine - i am the most paranoid mom ever i freak about all sorts of things - but really i don't think you have anything to worry about but keep an eye on him, it sounds scary but i did do a fair of reading when you posted it and it sounds like IF something is wrong you get a lot of symptoms first - mostly nappy related so if you notice him constipated or in pain when doing a poo take him to the docs and get him checked just in case but it does say even if the worst comes to the worst and he gets it 99% of all babies are treated and are fine - no long term effects so just keep an close eye on him for your own piece of mind and if you are worried mention it to your doc.

But i really don't think he'd have ingested much if any and back when i was little parents used to feed their babies hunny quite often and until recently its been in cough medicines that you could give to under ones so the risks are really small.

It's you i'd be more worried about than him - you sound like you'll be going mad with worry x

Cinss
October 21st, 2012, 04:50 PM
My friend was giving her daughter honey on toast before she turned 1, i said Ummm i think your not supposed to give honey! and she had no idea, her daughter is fine.

lovemy4
October 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I always thought it was just straight honey from the jar that could cause problems. I think it would be so processed by the time it's in a powdered form that nothing should be able to happen from it.

The Anchor
October 30th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I think the issue is only with unpasteurized honey...

Hobbermittens
October 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I didn't update this thread. I emailed the Chai company, and they said that dried honey doesn't have botulism spores--just raw honey. Thanks everyone for the replies!