PDA

View Full Version : Eating too much for BF ?

jils04
October 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hi girls,

I cant stop stuffing my face with food, especially sweet food. Chocolate, muesli (granola) bars, 2 + helpings of meals. Oh dear, BF is supposed to help shed weight, but I need to eat and am slowly plumping out more. Really not keen to put on too much weight, I used to do P90X, the U.S extreme exercise program, I was fit and healthy, just dont want to keep sliding backwards, I usually BF for about 9 mths. Any ideas on how to curb the cravings before I have diabetes or heart disease ?
I know from previous experience, if I try and diet, milk supply drops too much so my fave low carb regime is out. Please help !!:think:

Dreamofpink
October 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Have you considered eating lots of low-GI foods to help balance out your blood sugar levels and make you feel fuller for longer? It may help curb your cravings! :bigsmile:

jils04
October 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks dreamofpink, think I might find a list of low GI carbs I can eat. When I cut out the carbs, breast milk goes right down. Think if I can just dump the sugar, it will help. The cravings are a killer !!

weeziewoozles
October 25th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about dieting but try and eat all of the food groups to fill up and you'll want less sugar anyway.

kpmum
May 27th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I did lite and easy for a couple of months. In Australia they basically send you all ur meals and snacks so u don't have to think about what ur going to eat. U can choose ur calorie plan too. I was initially on the lowest but found it wasn't enough so upped it. They include protein, carbs, fats and some sugar so u shouldn't crave too much. I lost the extra weight I couldn't move after DS2. It's fairly expensive but very convenient

atomic sagebrush
January 24th, 2014, 01:02 PM
In my experience my body just really wants to hang on to the weight when BF until a certain point at which it goes flying off and that has been different for every kiddo. I can't diet either when BF or the milk goes almost right away. is there any way to add in a bit of exercise? that is what has helped me before, I still eat like a horse but at least some of it's going into muscle.

Bigwish
January 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think you have to diet.
Skip the white carbs, eat fruit in between with a few nuts, eat whole grains to prevent your blood sugar from fluctuating too much.

Don't eat starchy foods after 6pm and avoid milk. Yoghurt (without anything added) is fine. Be moderate with cheese.

Remember, refined sugars are addictive! Skip them for a few days and you'll expercience you feel much better without them. I was craving them myself untill three days ago. I started to eat like i wrote above and i have no cravings anymore niw, feeling more energized and not bloated.

Low carb will indeed kill the BF, but if you get your carbs from whole grains, fruits and vegetables you're eating healthy!

Good luck!!

kaykid
February 14th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I'm interested in this also!!

prayforprincess
May 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Agree with Bigwish.
I've always found it easy to lose weight while bf. In fact, thats when I'm the thinnest ever (whenever i stop i slowly put on 5-10 and can never lose it).
You have to cut sugars and sweets. If you eat carbs, stick to healthy whole grain carbs (whole wheat breads/wraps, sweet potatoes etc) and eat few portions earlier in the day.
The key to losing weight and keeping your milk supply up is Up your protein and healthy fats A LOT and you'll shed weight faster!
I would eat cottage cheese and avocados; berries with Greek yogurt, salads with grilled salmon and walnuts, turkey wraps with hummus, red pepper and cucumber, always eggs for breakfast on a low carb whole wheat wrap.
Guarantee u eat like that u'll lose weight and not your milk.
With ds1 i lost 35 lbs in 3 months (i gained the most with him); ds2 I was 10 lbs less 3 months after I delivered than I was before even getting pregnant; & ds3 i too was 15 lbs less than my pre pregnancy weight 6 months after delivering.
The key is healthy fats, lots of protein and limit carbs to a few healthy servings daily. The less you cheat the faster it falls off.

prayforprincess
May 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I know easier said than done though.
Some women are carb addicts and that makes it much harder. I'm definitely not, which is probably why I have all boys...

SugarSasha
May 20th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hi jils04!
You know when I was BF - I put on weight more than being pregnant. I had just the same stuff. I couldn't stop! I craved and craved! I had oatbran for breakfast and in two hours I had condensed milk sandwiches and could hardly wait till lunch. But the thing is when you BF your body needs more energy and reasonably you start to eat. For me the helpful idea was to eat little portions every two-three hours in order the glucose level in you blood be constant. Or you can count calories - it should also help. Or it can even be because of emotional tiredness - in that case good movie with a cup of green tea helps. I hope I could help you find your way of overcoming this.

SamS_TTCPink
May 20th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I never lose weight when BF! No matter what I eat and as soon as I try, I lose my milk but still no weight! A healthy happy baby is your priority when BF anyway. 😉

bluebonnet22
June 7th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I never lose weight when BF! No matter what I eat and as soon as I try, I lose my milk but still no weight! A healthy happy baby is your priority when BF anyway. 😉

This exactly for me too! I tried dieting 3x while bf and every time my milk would dry up and I would lose no weight! I'm finally back at my pre conception weight but it took until 6 months after weening to get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk