PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know if Vitamin K is the same as Potassium?

nuthinbutpink
February 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I do not believe it is but if you google the subject, it is darn confusing!

K is the symbol for Potassium on the elemental chart and potassium is a mineral, not a vitamin. I know I make the mistake of looking at the Vitamin K content when I should really be looking at the actual labeled Potassium content in foods, correct?

atomic sagebrush
February 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM
NO it's not the same thing at all. The chemical symbol for potassium is "K" from the Latin 'kalium'. Just like the chemical symbol for lead is Pb, because the Latin name was 'plumbium' - that's where we get our word for "plumbing" from because the Romans made their water pipes out of lead (BAD idea). Most of the elements that were discovered long ago have chemical symbols that are based on their Latin names. (never let it be said that moms don't learn from homeschooling too LOL)Anyway, the English word for potassium comes from potash, a form of potassium that plants need to grow.

Vitamin K is actually three separate vitamins that help with blood clotting. In most healthy adults, are manufactured in our intestines by good bacteria that live there. Newborns don't have those bacteria and so some babies are given supplemental Vit. K to prevent bleeding - although I would just point out that people lived for many millions of years without supplemental Vit K for newborns - but for most of us we don't need to take additional Vit. K because our bodies manufacture it.

By law I don't think either potassium or Vit. K need to be listed on the labels, so there are many foods that have potassium that don't have it listed on the label. ALL dairy foods have potassium.