PDA

View Full Version : what I have noticed-moms weight and gender

mkarntz1980
February 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Okay im sure its not true in all cases. Where I live, I have noticed that the overweight moms have multiple daughters.....BUT maybe they are trying to lose weight or are losing weight so that is why?? I rarely see overweight moms with several boys. I have always been a size 3-5 and have 3 boys and 1 girl.

The other thing that could be with the overweight moms, I have noticed many of their DH's are overweight as well....maybe they have higher body temps being they are overweight? any thoughts?

Viene
February 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
It has more to do with your overall condition, hormone levels and diet. Like for example someone very large might eat a very low nutrient diet, but high in calories, or like you said maybe she was dieting at time of conception.

nuthinbutpink
February 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I agree with Viene in that I think it might matter where those calories and pounds come from. I was a size 0-2 before kids and I have 3 DD naturally.

atomic sagebrush
February 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, that is exactly right. There is what biologists call a "U-Shaped curve" going on where both very thin and very heavy women tend to have more daughters and then everyone in the middle has more sons. There are many reasons why this may be the case, hormones, losing weight just prior to pregnancy, but the one I find very compelling is that being very heavy or very thin both reduce overall fertility and may sway pink because of that.

Lilian78
February 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM
Interesting about being overweight swaying pink. I've noticed that most thin women I know have boys. I'm thin (but athletic--lot of muscle) and had 2 boys . . . maybe it's not about how thin you are, but more about what you're doing to be thin or overweight (I know a lot of overweight people who spend a lot of time not eating to lose . . .).

atomic sagebrush
February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
I completely agree Lillian. I am also athletic and thin but have a lot of muscle so I am actually higher in weight than people tend to think.

crystal-light
February 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
I've always been overweight and have 3 boys. BUT I'm not flabby anywhere except my belly. My arms & legs are muscular. I've read that if your body stores fat around the midsection that can be a sign of higher than normal estrogen, which sways blue. So I'm losing weight now by doing cardio (no strength training) and lowering calorie intake. Hopefully it'll help decrease my T & E levels along w/ Vitex :)

pinksapphire
February 24th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I sooooooo hate this discussion b/c it brings the fear out in me! lol I have always been very thin and very athletic and conceived 1 girl and 2 boys naturally. I was very muscular (but tiny) when I conceived our angel DD and DH was very, very muscular. With DS1 and DS2, I eased up on working out but was very thin while DH was muscular with DS1 but less so with DS2. So, we stopped working out when we were swaying in 2009 b/c we were swaying pink. We didn't get PG and we were miserable! lol Just don't know what to do now though.

atomic sagebrush
February 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I know, it's SO hard to know what the best sway is. It's different for every person and there is no way to make blanket recommendations.

The good news is that as we get older we are more likely to conceive a girl anyway.

Jojogirl
February 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I was super thin when i conceived ds #1. I had just gotten back from my honeymoon and was doing weight watchers to drop the weight I put on when on my honeymoon. I probably lost about 9lbs before getting my bfp. With ds #2, I had just lost about 60 lbs from my first pregnancy. With dd I was heavy (around 178 or so). I was on a diet at the time too. I'm always on a diet. I think I dropped 20 or so around the time I conceived her. With my last ds, I was the heaviest I have ever been when conceiving. I was probably trying to lose, but seeing as I was pretty heavy still...I wasn't very successful. I'm not sure if losing weight before ttc works for me, but I'm still doing it as a part of my sway!

pinksapphire
February 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I think it's true that blanket statements are hard to make in terms of swaying (or anything, for that matter). But I definitely think (IMO) that eating in a NON-nutritional way sways girl. One can be heavy or thin and eat non-nutritionally so I think that makes the difference, not the way someone looks. I know this has been stated numerous times on here but it just really occurred to me this morning when I was thinking back to what I ate back then. We were just married & still very much into working out. Since we didn't have kids yet, we didn't make real dinners. We went to the gym after work and then just fended for ourselves together eating mostly fat free and/or sugar free stuff such as FF ricotta cheese, FF cottage cheese, FF yogurt, FF ice cream, etc. I also used to eat FF ricotta cheese w/ sugar free hot chocolate mix in it for snacks. Not very healthy and definitely not a diverse diet either!

jd03pd
February 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I think it's more about losing weight AND doing it somewhat unhealthy. Most diets, you're still eating very well on!

lindi
February 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Yes, that is exactly right. There is what biologists call a "U-Shaped curve" going on where both very thin and very heavy women tend to have more daughters and then everyone in the middle has more sons. There are many reasons why this may be the case, hormones, losing weight just prior to pregnancy, but the one I find very compelling is that being very heavy or very thin both reduce overall fertility and may sway pink because of that.

If everybody were perfectly healthy- nobody was too thin or too fat, I wonder if the ratio of boys would be much higher than even now? I wonder if in super healthy populations, there really are that many more boys born.

atomic sagebrush
February 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
If everybody were perfectly healthy- nobody was too thin or too fat, I wonder if the ratio of boys would be much higher than even now? I wonder if in super healthy populations, there really are that many more boys born.

This may very well be the case but complicating matters is the fact that high sodium and high protein is actually NOT that healthy. There is much about the girl diet that is actually more healthy than the boy diet. I think it's more what the diets tell our bodies about the nutrients that are available in the environment, and not as much about healthy vs. unhealthy.