PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill

nuthinbutpink
February 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
Love it! Can't believe I haven't checked it out before.

Last weekend, I went there just to see what they had. We have a few huge Goodwill stores around the metro area. I went to one in an $$$ zipcode and I found a new BMX 20 inch bike for $30! I thought that was great for my DD. Took it to the check out, and the lady tells me that because the tab has a "G" on it, the item is HALF OFF! $15 brand new bike! P.H.E.N.O.M.I.N.A.L.! Also got a Radio Flyer tricycle for $9.99 for DD3! It looks brand new too!

Loved GW so much, went to another one this weekend and just love looking at the stuff! I know people are "pickers" and sell items on ebay that they find there but I don't know what to look for yet. I am going to make it a habit of going from now on just to see what I might find!

The used bras gross me out though. I think I would get a second job before I did that. :thumbsdown:

Liv
February 21st, 2011, 10:43 PM
Love it!

atomic sagebrush
February 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
It is awesome isn't it! I love thrift stores.

nuthinbutpink
February 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Today I got a desk at Goodwill that was originally from IKEA and a 12 piece storage bin thing from there. I am officially addicted!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Now that I am still trying to loose my baby weight, I refuse to buy full price clothing being the clothing is temporary. I got a blue turtleneck sweater for $4.00 (old navy) in perfect condition. I get my children clothing there for like $1.00 for each piece of clothing. I got my older daughter 2 beautiful sweaters that they sell at Macys. I went to another thrift store and got her Calverichi (not sure of spelling) jeans. They are a little short but when she wears those jeans I have her wear them when she is wearing her boots.

I bought a toy there for the baby for $1.50 by sassy. I realize when I got home that when I looked it up online, it was missing the plunge. So I wrote the company an e-mail and they sent me that piece in the mail in 2 days free of charge.

One more- I bought all of my maternity clothing at Unique (which now closed down in my area) and my maternity jeans were Gap, Old Navy and more for like $5.00 each. They would have cost me $30.00 and over in the stores.

Right now, especially that we are trying to put a set amount in the bank to save for a pgd, cycle I mainly shop thrift.

skrimpy
March 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I pretty much love Goodwill! The children's clothing selection at mine has not been as good as it usually is as of late, but I still check it out periodically. Women's clothing I can find brand new skirts and such for only a few dollars. You just can't beat it. I've also found good bikes at Goodwill for the kiddos... and we got four really nice wooden chairs for our dining room table for $24 - look like they came with the table and chairs (we needed more chairs for all our kids hehe)!

Gus
March 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
We used to go all the time in my hometown. The one near us now never has anything. The good one is all the way across town and I rarely need to go that far since there are duplicate stores on our side.

LolaInLove
March 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Goodwill IS awesome! I always donate all of my girl's outgrown clothes (and mine) that are always in good condition, then I look for new stuff....it's like a clothes swap! Which, by the way, is an excellent girl's night thing to do. I just went to one that was a charity fundraiser for March of Dimes, and you paid $10, brought 3 items of clothing in good condition, put them on the rack of your size, then take 3 items with you. LOVED it. My friends and I want to start doing that on the regular and start a Swap Group here in my city.

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Just went to another thrift shop in my area. Got a red New York and Co. sweater. It was $1.00. I had to get another shirt along with it.

I will not go back to this shop though beause it was wayyyyyyyyy toooooo chatty for me and tiny store. But did get a good deal.

shouldihope?
March 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM
It is hard to find any good boy stuff at goodwill at least clothing from my experience. Maybe b/c boys wear them out so quickly?? Not sure. You do have to have time and patience to find something which is not on my side with 3 little boys in tow. I used to shop there in college and loved it. Maybe someday I will get to go back.

My Fabulous Children
March 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I need to check it out!!

Hobbermittens
March 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Goodwill is awesome! I have gotten kids clothes (Gap, Gymboree, etc) for really cheap, stuff that looks almost new!

I agree about the used bras. Yuck!

winogurl
March 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM
LOVE Goodwill. All of my snooty friends would DIE if they knew I bought stuff there. Whatever…I'm laughing all the way to the bank! :D

ETA: My flat screen TV console came from Goodwill. It looks EXACTLY like one that is in the Ballard Designs catalog right now for either $799 or $899…I mean *EXACTLY*. All I did was change out the handles/pulls. The piece itself cost $45 and I spent about $20 on the handles. SCORE!

purplepoet20
March 31st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have bought all my kids clothing used, we have 3 thrift store, 2 goodwills, and a savers... We have about a months worth in every size up to 6t, and for summer and winter. I love finding a good pair of jeans for a $1, gender freindly. I have found some barely worn jackets, snowpants, sweaters, and shoes all for under $5 each. I really wanted to buy new shoes for my kids but these were so new I had to and with kids who have sweaty feet I can afford to have 4-6 pairs in every size and they are all handed down. I find it easy to buy several sizes ahead so by the time they get to that size I have plenty.

Girleedust2011
April 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Oooh I'm going to check out the $$$$ gw :)

pinksapphire
April 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
It would be great if Goodwill was online too!

Flava
April 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You guys are lucky because the Goodwill store here suck...only a bunch of garbage . And there is no other thrift store around us.

Kerribug2004
January 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
i like goodwill a times, then sometimes the price is high on thinga i could find cheaper