PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a child that had to have an operation?

Mrs_P
October 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Just got back from the hospital and they have decided they want to a biopsy on ds3's mouth and i so worried and scared something horrible will happen to him with the anesthetic.

I'm so scared that something could go wrong and they might not be able to wake him, he seems so little to go through something like this especially over something that seems quite minor. To make it worse it was this time of year two years ago i almost lost ds2

nuthinbutpink
October 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm sure they can use a twilight and not intibate him right?

OneLastDream
October 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hi i havent had to go through that but didn't want to read and not comment. I am sure he will be absolutely fine but sending you lots of hugs as know I would feel the same as you in your position :bighug:

dreamingpink77
October 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm so sorry about this Mrs_P, I understand your worries but they will probably give him very little anesthesia if they have to take a sample of his tongue. My DS was operated when he was 7, they removed his adenoids and tonsillitis. I was very very worried and afraid most especially about anesthesia but he was fine and doctor said that little ones usually seem to get better faster after an operation. When are they going to operate him?

BeadinMom
October 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I don't really have any info or experience to add, but wanted to say I'm thinking of you and the little man and saying a prayer things go quick and easy!!

lobella2
October 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. My son had to have surgery at one month and at 1 year. Not the same kind. He has an intestinal disease. It is so hard to go through any surgery, but I would agree with the others that he probably won't have very much anesthesia. When will it be?

Mrs_P
October 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks girls - we haven't got an appointment yet but they said 8 weeks time which is right on christmas. I know its so silly but i spent all morning crying - silly pregnancy hormones - am so worried something might go wrong. If he'd have been older they would have done it whilst he was awake but they said its too traumatic for a little person to go through.

NBP what is a twilight?

Mrs_P
October 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. My son had to have surgery at one month and at 1 year. Not the same kind. He has an intestinal disease. It is so hard to go through any surgery, but I would agree with the others that he probably won't have very much anesthesia. When will it be?

One month that must have been so scary i'm so glad he is ok. The doctor said to me we have to operate on really little ones (he's under birmingham childrens hospital) compared to them he is so big but he just seems so small to me. I'm so sorry you had to go through that x

cravingsalt
October 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
My ds1 has had to be put under for an MRI of his brain at 2, then had to have his adenoids and tonsils out at 3. It's really tough to see them go under. For the MRI they let me back there as they wrapped him up like a burrito and put the gas mask on him, and he started to get scared and his eyes were desperate and he didn't understand why- it was awful to see his eyes roll back and I was so scared like what had we done...same with the tonsils, but they didn't let me back for sterility reasons...but both times I think it was harder on us in the long run. He didn't show any signs of remembering for the MRI, he just woke up like any other sleep wake-up, not a care in the world. The tonsils were a different story, because he was in pain.

I think your sweet boy will be just fine, especially if they're just checking things out. It'll be harder on you than on him- there will be a few minutes of confusion and then he'll just be asleep. Depending on his language abilities you can make him a social story to explain what is going to happen, step by step, and read it to him starting maybe a week out so he doesn't have to be as confused. My son didn't have enough language for me to explain it to him first.

Fingers crossed that the spot is nothing to worry about. It's never easy when it's your baby. <hugs>

My Three Sons
October 27th, 2012, 06:45 PM
DS 2 had to have tonsils and adenoids out at 2. Everything went really well and he was back to eating bbq chips in no time!

kpmum
October 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM
How scary for u! My precious ds1 has a congenital heart disease that wasn't picked up until he was a very sick little boy at 6 weeks old. My brave little boy faced surgery and time in icu with some complications but he got through it all and is now a happy 3 and a half year old. He will most likely face a valve replacement which will mean open heart surgery in the future. I am of course terrified but if his little body could get through everything it did at only 6 weeks inc the anaesthetic he is tough enough to get through anything. Kids r amazing and in my opinion stronger than most adults. Wishing ur little man a speedy recovery x

Mrs_P
October 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
My ds1 has had to be put under for an MRI of his brain at 2, then had to have his adenoids and tonsils out at 3. It's really tough to see them go under. For the MRI they let me back there as they wrapped him up like a burrito and put the gas mask on him, and he started to get scared and his eyes were desperate and he didn't understand why- it was awful to see his eyes roll back and I was so scared like what had we done...same with the tonsils, but they didn't let me back for sterility reasons...but both times I think it was harder on us in the long run. He didn't show any signs of remembering for the MRI, he just woke up like any other sleep wake-up, not a care in the world. The tonsils were a different story, because he was in pain.

I think your sweet boy will be just fine, especially if they're just checking things out. It'll be harder on you than on him- there will be a few minutes of confusion and then he'll just be asleep. Depending on his language abilities you can make him a social story to explain what is going to happen, step by step, and read it to him starting maybe a week out so he doesn't have to be as confused. My son didn't have enough language for me to explain it to him first.

Fingers crossed that the spot is nothing to worry about. It's never easy when it's your baby. <hugs>

That sounds really sad just reading it - i really hope he isn't too upset by it all. They told me they'll put a magic cream on his hands and then something to do with a needle thing in there, then they'll put him to under. Its the waking up bit that worries me - i really hope nothing goes wrong. I know its daft but the phrase "putting him to sleep" keeps making me think of the dog - we lost him a year ago, he was my baby before i had babies and it has such a different meaning.

Nice to hear some moms with good experiences though (even though the situations themselves aren't good if you know what i mean) as the only people i know lately who've experienced anything similar are through colleagues and although 2 of them are adults, the only three people i know who've had an operation all had problems with the anesthetic (one woman had a fit when they tried to bring her round and she nearly died, my friends teenager had complications from it and he was under for ages and the other lady i know ended up in intensive care for a few days after). I know there cases are different to Toby's its just it all seems so scary especially for the small thing that toby has wrong (praying they don't find anything).

I'm feeling so guilty as well as the GD was beginning big style in this pregnancy, now i find myself once again in the position where i just want the precious children that i have to be ok

Mrs_P
October 28th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you so much to anyone who has commented on my thread, your support is invaluable and amazing. Especially to those of you who have shared your experiences, thank you. My heart really does go to you and your little children, there are some super strong moms out there and i admire you all for what you've been through. It never ceases to amaze me the strength of a mother and the things we weather.

KpMum what a little fighter you have there, i do think your right though things are so much harder on us than they are on them they just get on with it. I wish you both lots of luck and best wishes for anything the future may bring your little man x

Mum23boys
October 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Nothing to add hun but wanted to send you a big hun. xxxx

lovemy4
October 30th, 2012, 01:09 PM
My ds1 had to have surgery at 8 months old and it was scary to have to go through but he came through it all just fine. I'm sure your little guy will amaze you, too.

Wanting-a-girl
October 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM
My son had a major eye surgery when he was 5 months and two more major eye surgeries at 6 months and another at 1 year it never gets easier I paced the waiting room for hours... Good luck just try to stay sane... Maybe it will be easier cause you have time to prepare my sons first was emergency and I was an absolute mess

myGirl
October 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
All three of my boys have been under anesthesia at least once, two of them twice. I won't lie to you, it is always hard on the parents. The good news is my boys always did beautifully and recovered as if it was nothing.

The hardest part is waiting during the procedure, make sure you have someone with you for support. It helps to have someone hold your hand- even though everything is going to be O.K. (I promise!) :)

I'm praying for you to feel peace about it; for sure it's harder to cope with pregnancy hormones! I know your son (and you) will come through this just fine :)

3boys
November 10th, 2012, 04:34 AM
DS3 had to have an operation at 5 days old as he had malrotation of the bowel which then twisted. He very nearly died. It was the worse time of our lives.
He is now a fit and well 2 year old.

Mrs_P
November 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hi girls thank you for your lovely words, it really is so nice to hear positive stories. The date for his op has been set for 10th January so i'm trying to put it to once side till then and not freak out too much - which is not really happening but am trying!!!

Your support (as always) is invaluable, it never ceases to amaze me the true kindness of the women on here and i am so pleased to be a apart of this community xxxxxxxxxx

BeadinMom
November 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thinking of you, Mrs. P and saying prayers for you and that little guy!! XOXO