PDA

View Full Version : Why won't she just shut up?

skrimpy
February 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
The receptionist at my hubby's work keeps asking him "how's that baby girl?" every time he walks through the waiting room and sees her.

We haven't told anybody that the baby is a girl yet - specifically because I do NOT want to deal with comments. She's just decided the baby is a girl and won't leave DH alone about it.

It really annoys him and he's happy the baby is a girl.

I was able to laugh about it the first time that she did it... but she keeps doing it and it's really getting me upset about it. She asked DH today why I haven't come into the office w/ the kids lately (usually we find a reason to go over there to say "hi" to DH every few weeks). Well the reason is I don't think I can deal with her making a comment about "that baby girl" when I am struggling with GD!!!

I was really starting to feel better, bought some patterns to sew dresses for the baby, starting to feel like I'm bonding with her better.

But having DH mention this again today got me really, really upset again. I'm glad DH isn't home b/c I haven't cried about the baby in weeks and here I am doing it again. Stupid comments make me wish so bad the baby was just a boy and everyone would SHUT UP. I do not NEED a girl and I do not HAVE TO HAVE a girl and I'm tired of people telling me I do! I'm tired of them deciding what I'm having.

The only people in the world who should care what gender I'm having are me and my DH!!!

Uugh I don't think I'm ever going to go into the office (at least not through the front door) ever again because I do NOT want to deal with her comments now or her smug attitude after the baby is born.

It's like putting acid on an open wound :(

Just needed to vent and get some tears out before DH gets home.

(P.S. I did ask him not to mention her questions anymore b/c it was upsetting me... but I feel bad he can't vent, now)

nuthinbutpink
February 23rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
I am sorry and I know exactly the type of person you are talking about. It is so irritating when someone does that to you. I think you are right, avoid her and ask DH not to mention her again!

atomic sagebrush
February 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yes, they are SO SURE that they know what you're having. Hey genius, flip a coin and I will decide if it's heads or tails, it's not exactly rocket science to make a guess when you have a 50% chance of being right.

People did that same thing to me all the time esp. with DS 2 and 3. I didn't even have a gender pref. with DS 2 and it still annoyed the sh-- out of me.

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
February 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have not gone to a thrift shop that has AMAZING prices for clothes for my kids. The reasonis I cannot even bear to hear another comment on me having 3 girls. So I also avoid places because of comments.

It f----- su----s.

My dh keeps telling me it is because I am not happy with my family makeup and honestly I am NOT.

puppydogstails
February 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=skrimpy;10352]
The only people in the world who should care what gender I'm having are me and my DH!!!

YES, exactly. I think this is cause for a great deal of GD, just my oppinion. This presure to create a 'perfect family'. you must produce A BOY and A GIRL. Why does everbody make it thier business? Drives me crackers!!

skrimpy
February 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM
thanks for your words ladies. I get so angry with myself that something so stupid could start the GD spiral all over again. DH and I went out Friday night and I tried looking at girl baby clothes and just... ugh. I just didn't like them. But I have been looking at fabrics to make clothes and that cheers me up.

I am just going to avoid going to DH's work, at least through the lobby, until... lol. Until I feel OK with getting comments so maybe never :p And DH says he won't mention it. And I will focus on making baby clothes and a blanket and feeling happy about a DD. Hopefully won't get anymore comments...

angel in a pink sky
March 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I come from a family of all girls and now I have all boys. My mom tells me all the time the comments she had to endure about having all girls. She tells me that the comments will end as time passes. I am hoping they will disapate because there truly is nothing more annoying than a person commenting on your family. I will tell you I adored growing up with all sisters and would not change it for the world. Hang in there and don't let her keep you from visiting your husband she should not have that much power of you. Good luck and if you do see her and she makes a comment we are all here for you.

TTC5
March 22nd, 2011, 10:56 PM
I know what you mean!
Everyone was so sure #4 was a boy EVEN when we found out via scan they kept telling me the scan was wrong!!!

Liv
March 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Its so just annoying when people say that kind of thing. I agree with avoiding her. Sorry you are dealing with this.

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
April 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Comments are so hard to deal with for me. Through my entire pregnancy, I basically stood home and only went out for events at the schoo, doctors etc.

Now that I have 3 girls as soon as a person that I do not know very well gives me a dumb comment, I completely distance myself from them. I am sure they will never put together on why I am not friendly to them any more.

You can read my previous post, but when my daughter was at her first week of preschool I was talking about my daughters and the women put it together so she said to me "Oh you have 3 girls". I said yes. Then she said "Oh you tried 3 times and you got 3 girls". Then I said "Oh no we are very happy". There was one more time that I spoke to her and she said "are you going to try for that boy". After this whenever she is talking to the other mothers I will never join in the converstation if she is there.

Another mother who I do not think is so bad but also her the first week of school she said "Oh 3 girls, your husband will force you to have a boy". Maybe it was because her husband needed a son in his life. I have no clue on why these people say these dumb, insensitive things.

I am to the point that I will hang up a phone because of a gender comment. Or I will just excuse myself. I have had it.

Good luck to you.

purplepoet20
April 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
My hubby has a friend at work. He hasn't seen her in a long time and started talking to her again. He mentioned the 2 boys and said we are going to have one more. Her first comment was "you know your going to have another boy" "you shouldn't even try for a girl". My hubby was a little upset and said "well thanks for the glimmer of hope you just took away" he hasn't even looked her way or talked to her since... He won't say it but I think he does want a girl!

iluvmybigfamily
April 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
people are idiots! I have 5 boys and am forever putting up with stupid comments at the minute EVERYONE is convinced this baby is a girl and take great pride in telling me oh this is going to be your girl I just know it is!! Well thanks but I'm really trying not to get my hopes up so shut it!! I dont know what I'm going to do if this is boy #6 and not because I won't love him but because I know it will just cause more and more stupid remarks!!

My Fabulous Children
April 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
When I found out I was expecting a girl #2 we didn't tell anyone, but people used say ''it's a girl'' it really bother me but I am too strong I told them If its a girl that WOULD be great I don't mind at all, it would be nice to give dd a little sister, they just shut up.

Carnelian
May 21st, 2011, 04:46 AM
People are rude! I get comments all the time about my boys and how we're obviously not finished because we don't have one of each. I find it so rude as most people know we did IVF so I can't believe people would comment knowing what we went through to get our kids. I do have a strong desire to have a girl but I don't need others commenting on it all the time.