PDA

View Full Version : When did/will you tell people?

jennaesue
October 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Right now, the only people IRL who know I am pregnant are dh and me. I am dying to tell my mom, but my dh doesn't want to tell anyone until we know how far along I am, and even then, I think he wants to wait until at least 10 weeks. I feel really bad that I haven't told my mom yet. We are best friends and she is usually my closest confidant. I have a doctor's appt on Thursday, but I just found out I am not having a scan then, so I probably won't be any closer to finding out a due date. What are you girls doing?

3boys
October 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM
We haven't told many people at all as I wanted to make sure we didn't have another miscarriage before I started spreading the news. Obviously DH knows and I told my best mate and my Mum guessed!!! Scan is on Sunday so hopefully we will be telling DH's family next week.
Congrats on your BFP!!

Praying4Pink
October 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Ugh this is such a hard topic for me. If you gals go to the bump thread you will see my bump. I am ONLY 6 weeks. It is getting pretty dang hard to hide it especially since I had lost like 40 pounds before I got pregnant. I told my parents and DH told his parents but none of our siblings know yet. I have 4 best friends at work, 1 of which is having twin boys in a couple of months and 1 who is 11 weeks pregnant. I know they will keep it a secret. I just told my husband that I am going to need to tell the rest of my coworkers soon because I am starting to show. I don't have my first appointment until next Thursday and it isn't even a u/s appointment. Just b/w and pelvic. Uggh! To tell or not to tell....?:shrug:

cvd
October 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I am absolutely terrible at keeping secrets and surprises so actually ALL our family knows and most of our close close friends know too already. I have an ultrasound tomorrow and after that we plan on making it public!
1) Just because we are so excited and can't keep it in anymore and 2) I am going to a Halloween party this weekend and bought my costume before being pregnant, it is SKIN TIGHT, so because I have gained a belly we want to tell people so they don't ask questions lol!!! It's getting hard to hide, I'm only 9 weeks!
My DH and I don't have any history of complications, were young (22&26) and apparently super fertile (DS I was on birth control and this one was first shot trying lol)! I know that doesn't rule me out for miscarriages, anything can happen to anyone, but we feel pretty good about telling everyone after everything goes well at the ultrasound! Hehe! I honestly wish I could wait till 13 weeks like some of you ladies!!

jennaesue
October 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have no history of losses or complications, fortunately, but I feel like it's bad luck to tell people too soon. With ds1, we did wait 10 weeks (or maybe more like 9) before we told our parents - although I did tell one close friend just so I would have someone to talk to about it. With ds2 & ds3, I told my mom the day I got a BFP. With ds2, we waited to tell MIL because she tells everyone everything. With ds3, I decided to just go ahead and tell her a few days after my bfp, and boy was that a bad idea. Even though I told her to keep it a secret, she told some people in her family and her nephew congratulated me when he saw me at Easter (I was like 7 weeks along) and I was NOT happy. So she will not be finding out for awhile this time. I mainly feel bad about not telling my mom, but I know she hates it when I tell her something important but don't want her to tell my dad, so I'm thinking I should probably tell them both at the same time. But when? I guess I'll see what the dr. says on Thursday.

NearlyDone
October 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Im not telling till my 1st scan...but my 2 best friends know+OH..........i trust them not to say anything and obviously if i did(please god no) have a miscarriage they would be my shoulder to cry on anyway iykwim?

Mommyof3boys
October 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I have only told my best friend whose husband his DH's best friend and 2 good friends at work that will not say anything. I honestly want to wait as long as I can to tell anyone else and personally would like to hold off until around February. I tend to lose weight my entire pregnancy so my family will notice a weight loss before anything else and I will just have to come up with some crazy story about a contest at work or something. My last pregnancy I could wear my regular clothes until 8 weeks before the baby was born and lost 16 pounds throughout the pregnancy and still had a 9 pounder so I hoping for something similar so I can hold out as long as possible.

Cinss
October 29th, 2012, 05:07 PM
All my friends and family knew we were ttc so i told them the good news the day of my BFP :)

aroundtheworld
November 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM
We've told most of our good friends, but not all of them and absolutely none of our family knows (except our kids). We're waiting. For what exactly, I'm unsure, but waiting none the less.

meeks32
November 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm not of now, but with my ds1 and ds2 we told straight away. For a few reasons. 1, I am a terrible lier 2. I get super sick straight away which makes it hard to hide 3. Even if we lost the pregnancy, I would want my friends and family etc to know, because I don't believe hiding these things helps anyone, especially not fellow women who may have or may in future also miscarry, and I wouldn't be blue to hide my disappointment if I did, so I felt it was best to share no matter the outcome.

I waited to tell work until I'd had my dating scan at about 8 weeks but most of them guessed!