PDA

View Full Version : why can clomid and vitex not be taken together?

Coccinelle33
February 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM
i have done some reading tonight and have found that a few people have done it and got pregnant and have ovulated so why is it so bad? im having a hard time picking which one i want to use and have been on vitex for a few months and did clomid this month and it looks like i might have ovulated on cd 15 and now im spotting on cd 28 so it might be my first ppaf. thoughts?

nuthinbutpink
February 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I have read about it online and it is confusing. I found this about Vitex-

Vitex or Chaste tree berry acts on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands by increasing luteinizing hormone (LH) production and mildly inhibiting the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This results in a shift in the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, with a rise in progesterone. The ability of chaste tree berry to raise progesterone levels in the body is an indirect effect, so the herb itself is not a hormone.

IF it actually inhibits the release of FSH, that would be counteracting what you are doing with the clomid since it is FSH and is being used to help your body produce FSH and produce an egg. Now, when I did IVF, I was on a combo of meds- one LH and one FSH and that combo worked for me but there was nothing in the LH one that "prohibits" FSH.

Vitex takes a while to build up in your system so if you did ovulate, it may be helping you. Are you getting your progesterone checked to see if in fact you did ovulate...I mean I know AF is supposed to mean you did but just in case?

atomic sagebrush
February 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, exactly. They work in opposite ways so if you take vitex, you run the risk of interfering with the Clomid and making it not function properly. Taking them together is pointless, it gains you nothing.

I explained it pretty thoroughly in either the Clomid thread or the Vitex thread so I won't repeat myself LOL but it's just always best when taking Clomid to stay away from ANY hormone-affecting herbs. You are only supposed to be on Clomid for as short a time as possible (in the long term, it can cause endometrial cancer) so you need to do what it takes to get pg fast while you're on it.