PDA

View Full Version : Femara

pinksapphire
February 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Hi,

I met with my doctor today and he agreed to give me the "better version" of Clomid which he said was Letrozole (Femara). I read up on it tonight and it seems that it's better for many reasons specific to the woman's issue but one reason was that it doesn't thicken the CM like Clomid does. So, if I take it, it will not sway girl, right? I think if we decide to go this route I'll have to insist on Clomid then (although read a lot on women getting more eggs or better sized eggs w/ Femara).

????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

atomic sagebrush
February 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
It lowers estrogen but increases LH (which raises testosterone). I don't think this would happen right away though and not from the dosage you're given (remember, Clomid does the exact same thing.)

The problem with Clomid for you is Clomid starts to become ineffective over the age of 35.

I would do it, because if you can't get pregnant, you have no shot at your desired gender. I would pull out all the stops and try to get pg right away so it didn't have time to raise my testosterone levels.

pinksapphire
February 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
It lowers estrogen but increases LH (which raises testosterone). I don't think this would happen right away though and not from the dosage you're given (remember, Clomid does the exact same thing.)

The problem with Clomid for you is Clomid starts to become ineffective over the age of 35.

I would do it, because if you can't get pregnant, you have no shot at your desired gender. I would pull out all the stops and try to get pg right away so it didn't have time to raise my testosterone levels.

Thanks! I agree with you in that we are going to try to get PG and not waste much time. I'm 38 so I guess this med would be better for me. I think it's Femara b/c he said a drug that's similiar to Clomid but works better and it started w/ an L. I searched and only found the generic name for Femara (Letrozole) and both DH and I think that's what he said (so funny but so much to remember in these appts.!). Also strange is that I'm this age already. How did this happen? Thankfully people constantly tell me that I look 10 years younger and are always shocked when I say my age. I'm shocked too! LOL

I had blood taken yesterday for immune testing just to make sure everything is fine w/ me since it's weird that I haven't gotten PG now in 3 years. I had a chemical PG 3 years ago and then that's been it. My OPK today is + but we are going to wait to see what the bloodwork says & then go from there.

atomic sagebrush
February 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I know! Tell me about it!!! I like being this age but it is funny how it kinda snuck up on me!

Femara is def. what he is suggesting, because fertility treatment is the off-label usage. Femara is originally a cancer drug but it seems to work better than Clomid for older women and without as many side effects.

Praying for good news from your blood tests.