PDA

View Full Version : Canned soups

TTC5
February 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
For TTC boy.. which flavours are best and which ones should we steer clear of?
Am guessing the creamy flavours are a no no because of the dairy?

nuthinbutpink
February 26th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Probably something like a beef pot roast one with potatoes, peas,etc.

TTC5
February 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Thought so thanks x

atomic sagebrush
February 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Tomato soup is great (low protein but high in sodium - 1000 mg, potassium - 1500 mg, and no calcium plus of course it's tomato)! Vegetable soup (if you have Campbell's, they have a vegetable soup in beef broth) but even just in the vegetarian kind there is 1200 mg sodium, 2500 mg potassium, barely any calcium, and 8 grams protein in one can. Bean and bacon - 2500 mg sodium, 1000 mg potassium, and 20 grams of protein per can - it does have some calcium though.

TTC5
February 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thankyou!
I am not too keen on tomato soup though..

atomic sagebrush
February 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
That's ok, there are so many other options no one needs to eat anything they don't enjoy!!

ELP
March 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM
The bean and bacon sounds fantastic for a sway!
Are cup-a-soup's any good? I have some tomato ones atm which have 1.4gm protein and 1.3gm salt (0.6gm sodium). I may look around next time for ones with higher protein and sodium. But do you think that as these are powdered they have had any usefullness taken out of them? or are handy to be kept as a reserve maybe?

atomic sagebrush
March 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
NO, sodium is sodium! Ramens and cup-a-soups tend to be lower in protein but you can always eat them along with something higher in protein.

I often "dress up" ramen by stirring in an egg and/or some broccoli and asparagus. You could also toss some chopped chicken or shrimp (even though I think you should be careful with shellfish because of the pesticides that may be present in them).

TTC5
March 6th, 2011, 05:07 AM
So canned soup is recommended just for the sodium?

atomic sagebrush
March 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yes but it's also got a lot of potassium and many are based on tomatoes. I know in the IG recipe book there is an entire section dedicated to recipes involving cans of tomato soup!!!

I also like them because they're cheap and EASY for people, so much of swaying involves all this complex planning so it's nice to just dump a can of soup in a pan and heat it up for lunch.

There is always the option of making your own soup if you don't like canned soup!

TTC5
March 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I don't mind canned soup as long as it is not plain tomato soup lol.. I have been having Campbells veg and beef. The type you add water to when cooking up but I have just been dumping the can in a big mug and heating up in the microwave and eating it like a chunky soup. It has bits of pasta, potato, beans and meat in it, is very salt and I also add a dash extra salt

atomic sagebrush
March 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
That would work too!!!

LolaInLove
March 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Speaking of soups, I made a deeeelish one last night that a friend recommended....it was super easy homemade butternut squash soup, and my kids loved it too. Not sure how blue-friendly it is, but with the salt and the vitamins from the squash, I'm sure it's good.

So, I just halved a butternut squash and set it open face up on a roasting pan, drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, then roasted at 400 degrees for about 35-45 min till it was soft and cooked. Then I sauteed about half an onion in olive oil and put all in a food processor....added some more salt and pepper, some butter and cream, and voila....it was really good. Just thought I'd throw this on the soup thread. I get really excited when I find a recipe that is a) easy, b) nutritious, and c) my kids like.

atomic sagebrush
March 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
It's blue, baby (except for the cream)! Vitamin A and olive oil and salt! Thanks for sharing, I will put it into the 'boy recipes thread"!

LolaInLove
March 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
That's what I thought! I just put about a tablespoon of half and half in there, to be exact, so prob not that big of a calcium deal.

TTC5
March 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
YUM!!