PDA

View Full Version : Bananas and potassium

TTC5
February 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM
So we are aiming for 4 - 5,000 mg a day of potassium.. I eat 3 bananas a day which works out to be around 450mg of potassium.. so that leaves me with around 2650mg needed per day (to reach the minimum of 4,000).

Should I take a supplement to make up this difference or are there other ways to get potassium?

babydes56
February 27th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I would look up foods on internet that are high in potassium, hope it helps. I'm also swaying blue

atomic sagebrush
February 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Potassium is actually extremely easy to get through diet. Most things have potassium in them to some extent but (at least in the US) it is not required by law to be listed in the nutritional facts, so you may be getting a lot more than you think. (I thought ONE banana had 450 mg of potassium??)

I am not a huge fan of potassium supps because too much potassium is not a good idea, and your body can tolerate/utilize potassium in food much better.

Brewer's yeast has a large amounts of potassium as do tomato products - if you mix some brewer's yeast into tomato juice you can get a big boost in potassium just from that.

TTC5
February 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Atomic. Yes sorry meant to write that each banana has 450mg sorry bad typo!

nuthinbutpink
February 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
A lot of different beans have a lot of potassium in them- baked, lima, pinto have double nearly of what a banana has...V8 juice has a lot, avocado is okay I think.

TTC5
February 28th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Beans are ok for boy sway?

How about mushrooms I love mushrooms can be still have these? x

crystal-light
February 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Potatoes are also a good source of potassium :)

atomic sagebrush
February 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Beans are ok for boy sway?

How about mushrooms I love mushrooms can be still have these? x

Yes, I think beans are fine for a boy sway (and if you are a vegetarian they are MANDATORY!) They boost testosterone, have sodium and protein, and are great sources of potassium.

Here's a good link that has the potassium contents in several different foods. http://www.stronghealth.com/services/primarycare/pdf/potassiumrich.pdf

Oh and mushrooms are fine. There is very little you NEED to avoid on the blue diet. More is usually better for blue.

TTC5
February 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Again thanks ladies.
I am must really get on your nerves with all my questions...
More is better is hard for me lol I have always been a dieter - yo yo dieting lol and trying to eat as little as possible... lol

LolaInLove
February 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Me too, TTC5....that's why we have a load of girls, in my opinion! I have gained some weight and am really trying to eat well....I dig the TW hypothesis, it makes total sense to me. I am enjoying reading all of your posts, though, because I have many of the same questions.

atomic sagebrush
February 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM
That is good news for your sway though you guys - I know of a couple women who are stick thin and still have all boys, their bodies just think boys are a better bet for them even at a very thin weight. At least

TTC5
February 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lola... I figure if we don't ask we won't ever find out hey.
How old are your girls, can I ask? =)

atomic sagebrush
March 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
I like the questions too because it helps me think of things that I haven't covered enough.:agree::agree::agree:

LolaInLove
March 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM
My girls are 8 and almost 6. I am hoping I've tricked my body enough this time....I keep thinking "chieftan's wife" throughout the day! Everything about me is different than when I had the girls, so we'll see what happens. This is kind of like a big experiement to me also...which is a good way for me to look at swaying since I don't want to go through GD. Keep the questions coming, TTC5, and Atomic, thanks a million for all the time and effort you put into this site!

TTC5
March 1st, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yes hubby asked me what if it is another girl will you want another.. and I told him.. I'd rather try and end up with another girl, than never try and regret my decision in 10 years or so time!!

LolaInLove
March 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
I would regret it also, and if we had another girl, it would be just fine. I am trying to do everything I can to keep my head at an even keel in the event that it is another girl (when/if we get pg!) so that I'm not upset. To be honest, this site has helped a lot with the even keel there, because I don't have this sense of "do this and get a boy" like I did back in the summer when I was on IG. I am sure there is a rhyme and reason for this prolonged ttc- it has definitely made me have a clearer and more reasonable perspective about swaying, and just made me want a healthy baby.

KFX for us!!!

TTC5
March 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hi Lola so you have followed the plan on IG before?

I have decided that I am going to try really hard to not find out the gender.. that way I will just assume it is another girl like the others lol and IF it happens to be a boy what a big suprise that will be!

If I can be that strong to not find out, lol

LolaInLove
March 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well, I did follow the IG plan, but couldn't get pg! Don't know if it was the one-time bd or what. I don't agree with some of the no-no's on IG, like no calcium or prenatal vitamins. I don't think it's healthy to drink baking soda 7x a day either, but some of the girls were successful in getting their boys that way. I always felt that if I didn't do this or that, I wasn't doing a proper sway and shouldn't be disappointed if I got another girl. You have to have done some amount of the 7 sway factors to be able to post it, for example. Anyway, I did love that site, but I really like the info posted here better. I'm all about No-Fault Swaying, as atomic put it.

I would LOVE to not find out the gender of next baby also, but I doubt I will be that strong. I do also intend to assume it's a girl, I think that is way better for my particular psyche, although right now, I am so putting out some PLEASE, BLUE!!!!! vibes.

Not too much longer, I am on to bding tonight, got an early ov this month! FX something happens!

TTC5
March 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Well, I did follow the IG plan, but couldn't get pg! Don't know if it was the one-time bd or what. I don't agree with some of the no-no's on IG, like no calcium or prenatal vitamins. I don't think it's healthy to drink baking soda 7x a day either, but some of the girls were successful in getting their boys that way. I always felt that if I didn't do this or that, I wasn't doing a proper sway and shouldn't be disappointed if I got another girl. You have to have done some amount of the 7 sway factors to be able to post it, for example. Anyway, I did love that site, but I really like the info posted here better. I'm all about No-Fault Swaying, as atomic put it.

I would LOVE to not find out the gender of next baby also, but I doubt I will be that strong. I do also intend to assume it's a girl, I think that is way better for my particular psyche, although right now, I am so putting out some PLEASE, BLUE!!!!! vibes.

Not too much longer, I am on to bding tonight, got an early ov this month! FX something happens!

Oh yep I am the same! I am totally letting the universe knowing I am so ready for a boy this time! Something I never did before I think if anything I was actually giving off girl vibes lol

Woo Hoooooooo I hope it all goes well tonight ;)

Do you have anything planned/swaying plans?

LolaInLove
March 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Not really, just planning on using preseed and trying to lay with hips up and all....I will probably do a bsf about an hour beforehand. Now my opk is not nearly as dark, so I think my body is not quite there yet. So annoying!

TTC5
March 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Oohh wonder why??

LolaInLove
March 2nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure, but I think we are going to give it a go anyways!

TTC5
March 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I would too!

Pixiedoll
March 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
Tomatoes, in all forms and prunes! -Though not together..lol x

LolaInLove
March 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
OMG I ate 2 bananas and tons of tomatoes yesterday....we did give it a go! Prunes....good idea.....would make me glued to the loo though (as if I'm not already with all the drinks).

TTC5
March 6th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Just curious how many bananas and tomatos do you aim for each day?

LolaInLove
March 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I ate at least one banana, but never more than 2, and would usually try to incorporate some tomato form at least once a day, be it a raw one or tomato sauce, etc.

LolaInLove
March 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Oh, and I also ate potato in some form each day as well, which is by far, my favorite swaying food....which is the one that also makes me the fattest!!!

atomic sagebrush
March 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Just curious how many bananas and tomatos do you aim for each day?

2 bananas and at the very least, one can of tomato juice/v-8 and then as much other tomato as you can stand.

atomic sagebrush
March 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Oh, and I also ate potato in some form each day as well, which is by far, my favorite swaying food....which is the one that also makes me the fattest!!!

TOTALLY. When I was dieting I would sometimes put salsa on potatoes, so you can combine the tomato and the potato.

You may want to alternate between reg. potato and sweet potato just to change things up and get some different nutrients, you can bake sweet potatoes (not yams, they have to be actual sweet potatoes) in the microwave just like a reg. potato.

LolaInLove
March 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Good idea! I am not a huge sweet potato fan, but I do like to make homemade fries with them for the kids. DH is the one who is the white potato monster....he's Polish as can be, I bet it's in his blood! I did notice when I laid off the white ones during the little pg period a couple of months ago that I seemed to loose a few lbs in no time. I have probably gained about 15 lbs since swaying started in August last year, but I think it is healthier for me. I have always been pretty much on the girl diet (or, rather, barely eating all day with busy job and kids), so trying to eat little bits of food during the day in between meals of protein and carbs has really affected my body. Do you think this is affecting my ability to get pg? I would think I am healthier now, although I am not skinny anymore, so it would be a good thing.

Oh, and on the V8 tip- I did start mixing the NYF with it for an afternoon fill-up, and boy, does that ever fill me up!

atomic sagebrush
March 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
No, if anything it has raised your odds of pregnancy.

If ever you are worried that you are gaining too much weight, it's ok to cut back a little. It may be that just by virtue of being at a higher weight with greater muscle mass, that you have already swayed blue by a great deal.

LolaInLove
March 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
That's what I'm hoping for....I really have tried to eat/live in the opposite fashion from when I conceived my girls. I think I've leveled off with the gaining, so am now just maintaining a 15 lb heavier body which is not fun to find clothes that still fit, but hey, some thrifty buys have come in handy lately!

TTC5
March 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Atomic great idea with the salsa and potatos!!!

Tomato juice, can not stand the stuff unfortunately =(

I do have sauce every day though lol.. would say a sliced up tomato a day be just as good? I could easily eat that with some meat - and salt lol

TTC5
March 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Lola - you and I sound very alike with our old eating habits and getting girls!!

LolaInLove
March 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
TTC5, every time I read the girl diet stuff, I think to myself how that is exactly what I did. My body totally must have thought I was in famine mode! Although I did eat dairy, which I still do a little bit, I was probably super acidic because I worked out so much each day and always had Splenda or Equal in drinks and food. Biggest thing is that I would drink a vat of coffee with Splenda, go to the gym for 2 hours, then come home and eat a little bit, then not eat again until dinner. I bet I had crazy blood sugar levels too....I would always get super tired around 2pm. About tomatoes, I would say eating any tomato product is good, but actual raw tomatoes are probably the best, especially with some salt on them!

atomic sagebrush
March 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Rather amazingly, cooked tomatoes are actually a better source of lycopene than raw toms are, because something in the cooking process activates the lycopene or makes it more easily absorbed. That having been said, raw tomatoes are GREAT too esp with salt! Eat what YOU love and not what you think you have to force yourself to choke down, and swaying will be just a fun experment rather than torture!!!

LolaInLove
March 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Wow, I would have never guessed that! You always hear how raw is better than cooked, etc....I think I had that drilled in my head from Super Baby Food (don't know if you all read/used that ingenious book) when I was making veggie ****s for my babies! I have heard you shouldn't refridgerate tomatoes too, which I find odd, so maybe lycopene just plays by its own rules. Good to know, AS!

TTC5
March 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
i hear you there Lola!!! I was the same.. this eating and no cardio has me feeling very fat and lazy - LOL

atomic sagebrush
March 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Wow, I would have never guessed that! You always hear how raw is better than cooked, etc....I think I had that drilled in my head from Super Baby Food (don't know if you all read/used that ingenious book) when I was making veggie ****s for my babies! I have heard you shouldn't refridgerate tomatoes too, which I find odd, so maybe lycopene just plays by its own rules. Good to know, AS!

Yes, lycopene is the one exception! It plays by its own rules LOL.