PDA

View Full Version : IUD death

nuthinbutpink
February 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
So, I am just posting this because it is so disturbing that if I had an IUD, I would want to know just so I can be aware of one possible outcome.

I have never had one but know tons that do but through FB, a friend of mine lost a childhood friend a few weeks back all because of an IUD.

The woman was in her 30's and she was complaining of abdominal pain which became severe so she went to the ER. They looked her over, it seems to subside and she really had nothing else preseting so they ended up sending her home. The next day, she went to see her OB and they decided to take the IUD out because it had been bothering her for a few months anyway. Well, the IUD was badly infected, so much so, he sent her to the ER from there immediately.

She was in severe pain and they ended up deciding to do exploratory surgery because they thought something might have been nicked during putting it in or taking it out and she crashed twice on the operating table.

She had developed a Strep B infection from the IUD. 5 hours later, her body developed Toxic Shock Syndrome and she died. Died.

Here's the kicker- she had 4 daughters, the eldest is 12.

It all happened very fast from what I have been told and probably a combination of factors that contributed to her death from the infection but it went to her heart and that was it.

I guess moral of the story is that if you ever have an issue with one, don't wait and seek help.

Orchid
February 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Scary, I have one. Will keep this story in mind.

Ashgirl
February 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Yikes!! Scary and sad. Thx for posting.

skrimpy
February 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
:( that is scary

Gus
February 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Oh my gosh! That's awful.

xnicolax
March 1st, 2011, 04:07 AM
That is awful, my oldest son is 11 and it doesnt bare thinking about.

atomic sagebrush
March 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
That is SO SAD. :( I'm sorry!!

Jojogirl
March 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wow...well, I think you just helped me make up my mind on getting one! I really wanted a mirena too! My dh has seen this happen a lot with IUD and is dead set against me getting one. I really wanted one to have AF go away...but it's not worth it if something goes wrong :(

luvmyluvbug
March 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Wow super scary. I just had mine taken oh a week or so ago. And was thinking about getting another one aftr we are done having kisds. I Will be re thinking that more once the time'comes. Thanks and sorry about your friend very sad.

coocoobananas
July 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I know this is old but I was searching step b as apparently I have it in my urine and have to take antibiotics... I had a mirena taken out about 6 months ago.. The link is scaring me a bit!
I had strep with both prior pregnancies but it wasn't in my urine, I just had to do the antibiotics at birth... It's normal flora in apparently 25% of woman... Eeek I'll check with my dr to make sure there's no connection!

mis2ninos
July 29th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Very scary I heard on the news not long ago an iud actually punctured a lady's uterus somehow and left her infertile :(

suregena
July 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
After I had such a bad brief experience with simple hormonal birth control and also the Nuva ring, I haven't used any form of birth control except paying attention to my cycles and condoms since 2007. So far, we've only gotten pregnant when we wanted to be... so, while I've always thought about getting an IUD or something similar for the convenience of it all in terms of preventing pregnancy, I still don't think I could... and especially after this story. Thank you for sharing and I am SO SORRY this happened... it's horrible. :(