PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive Over-buyer

Janed
December 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
That's me. I go way beyond what my kids have on their lists for Santa. I do it because that is what my mom did for us. There was always other stuff that wasn't on our lists.

The stupid thing is, I don't get the credit. Santa gets all the thanks. Yet, here I am at the last hour and I have done it again. I think Santa is going to take a back seat and I am going to actually wrap up some of them(santa doesn't wrap here) and put FROM MOM on them all!

I don't have the time to do returns:)

Kandi
December 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
This is SO me :( I buy presents all year long (overkill) and never really label anything--it's all from Santa! Ah, well--for our family, Santa is more the giving than an actual person (if that even makes sense hehe) so I feel better knowing they'll figure it out one day ;)

Liv
December 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
I do the same. Every year I tell myself I am not going to,but I do. I just love seeing their little faces light up when they see their gifts!

Catch!
December 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
My parents were the same way, and yah we buy way too much for Christmas. Both me and DH go overboard because we're like kids watching DS be like a kid. But I think we decided next year (and after) to scale it back, and just get a few things.

snakesnsnails
December 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
This is the first year I've been really good about being scaled back. Both boys are "only" getting about 10 gifts each. (though one of those gifts is a Nintendo DSi XL)

My Dh is the worst. Money is tight right now, so all I want is practical things and he went a bought me a Flip video camera...I just know he did, the little bugger.

Janed
December 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
This is the first year I've been really good about being scaled back. Both boys are "only" getting about 10 gifts each. (though one of those gifts is a Nintendo DSi XL)

My Dh is the worst. Money is tight right now, so all I want is practical things and he went a bought me a Flip video camera...I just know he did, the little bugger.

That flip will be so handy though! Good for you! What is a DSi XL? I know DSi but not XL.

Liv
December 22nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
DSi XL is a bigger screen, probably a bunch of other features my 8 year old could explain.

CocoChanel
December 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
I went over-board only because I like to keep it even between the 4 boys. So I will see something for one boy, then have to buy 3 additional things for the other boys to even the score. It is crazy. The only way to stop the insanity, is to not enter another store until Christmas is over. It didn't help that things seemed very expensive to me for some reason this year. The cheapest, plasticy toys were so incredibly overpriced. So, then, you have to go for the big stuff. Times that by 4, and it adds up. Fast.

I've learned my lesson and will shop earlier next year. :o

I am going to have to give Santa the credit. I don't have the time/energy/patience/wrappingpaper/inspiration/motivation to sit down and tackle the pile. At times like Christmas, 4 kids really hits home...wow, is all I gotta say. ;)

Catch!
December 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
That flip will be so handy though! Good for you! What is a DSi XL? I know DSi but not XL.
Yah I agree, I've only just seen this thing a few weeks ago, but man it looks cool! I would love to have that then my old, crappy, clunky, sony handycam.

Chloe
December 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
----

xnicolax
December 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
That is so me too. I cant help myself. I have done it again today, I was finnished and wondered in a toy shop and spent another £30. Its not just christmas either, im the same all year round. Has anyone read shopaholic? I am Becky Brandon!

CocoChanel
December 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Chloe that is a great idea to wrap the room entry closed. I have early riser and late risers so this would totally solve that problem.

snakesnsnails
December 24th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Chloe - That sounds so fun! I would have loved to burst through the wrapped entry as a kid. How cool!

And, yes...I am happy about the Flip Video camera....just trying to be practical! (but, I'll admit....they do look so neat and easy to use!)

Partyof6
December 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well the little ones used to get overwhelmed when we went crazy, so for the past 5 yrs. or so we do a few expensive gifts instead of alot of smaller ones. (less quantity, but ugh I still over spend! lol) I really like doing it this way, cuts back on the chaos and is way easier to keep track of w/6 kiddos.

I went over-board only because I like to keep it even between the 4 boys. So I will see something for one boy, then have to buy 3 additional things for the other boys to even the score. It is crazy. The only way to stop the insanity, is to not enter another store until Christmas is over. It didn't help that things seemed very expensive to me for some reason this year. The cheapest, plasticy toys were so incredibly overpriced. So, then, you have to go for the big stuff. Times that by 4, and it adds up. Fast.

I've learned my lesson and will shop earlier next year. :o

I am going to have to give Santa the credit. I don't have the time/energy/patience/wrappingpaper/inspiration/motivation to sit down and tackle the pile. At times like Christmas, 4 kids really hits home...wow, is all I gotta say. ;)
Did you end up getting your Pillow Pets? Miss A went nuts over the unicorn we got their cousin so mil's getting her one for Christmas. (only $16.99 on Amazon!) Our very 1st Pillow Pet... blech haha Nah it's cute, it's just so big I'm not sure where we're gonna keep it~ definitely too big for her crib.

CocoChanel
December 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yes we now own a Pengiun and the Bee. They really like them and they are always anywhere but their beds, they are usually adding a touch of class to the living room decor :p

Partyof6
December 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Yes we now own a Pengiun and the Bee. They really like them and they are always anywhere but their beds, they are usually adding a touch of class to the living room decor :p

Oh too funny, just what my living room needs some pink and purple unicorn touches. hehe 10 yrs. ago Pier 1 had the exact same thing and those actually did go nice in my living room. lol Wonder if they regret not copyrighting them.

snakesnsnails
December 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
My kids got "Pillow Chums" for Christmas. They are like the Pillow Pets, but about 5 times bigger. Yea! :p (that was sarcasm) My MIL bought them and they truly are WAY too big except that the kids really, really love them!

Liv
December 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
My kids got "Pillow Chums" for Christmas. They are like the Pillow Pets, but about 5 times bigger. Yea! :p (that was sarcasm) My MIL bought them and they truly are WAY too big except that the kids really, really love them!

I am relieved DS2 didn't know about pillow chums...because he would have wanted all of them. He has 4 pillow pets and rotates which on he sleeps on.