PDA

View Full Version : How good did you look for your baby's birth?

Liv
March 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
I just saw something on the news about women who put on full makeup and do their hair before delivery so they will look good for pictures. They also bring their own gown to wear while giving birth. These things never crossed my mind leading up to any of my deliveries. I had on tinted moisturizer and my hair in a ponytail.

Sunrise
March 3rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
You've just been sweating naked for hours with random people sticking their hands up your hoo-hah and probably pooping on the bed while pushing. Is it really the time for vanity? Seems silly to me. (I don't mean "you" in the personal sense, of course).

I always braid my hair to get it out of my face. But makeup would be a lost cause. Maybe the women that do this are the ones who get the epidural at like 2 cm and sleep through their labors. I'm told such people exist. :)

nuthinbutpink
March 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
I know bringing your own gown is popular lately(I remember seeing Tori Spelling on TV have her own gown with her DD) but I was induced with 2 kids and I did shower and wash my hair. I am not a sweater - lol - and I always had an epidural so labor was really no big deal for me...a couple pushes and they were out. I never wear that much makeup and never wear lipstick but looking back on a couple of pics, I kind of wish I had looked into a mirror first!!

pinksapphire
March 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I guess it depends on the situation. For DS1, it was the middle of the night that I went into labor and so there was no makeup or anything like that. I did, however, take a shower before going to the hospital (but didn't wash my hair). I didn't look terrible in those pics but I looked tired (I hadn't slept at all that night!) & didn't look my best. For DS2, I was out and about that day so I had my hair done and makeup on when my water broke and so I looked nice for his labor/birth! If I get PG again, I hope I can plan it so I look pretty for those pics! Hahaha! Hard to really plan if you're don't have a scheduled birth though!

Also, if you plan on nursing your baby right away, then you'd have to bring your own nursing gown or one that buttons down the front for easy booby access!

Liv
March 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I just found it interesting because "looking good for pictures" was the farthest thing from my mind. FWIW, I love my pics of all three of my labors/birth. I love that I look I just accomplished something remarkable. For me, having eye shadow and lipgloss would have felt silly.

Lilian78
March 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I went into labor with all of mine in the middle of the night. Things were a little slower with DS1, so I think I took a shower and made some effort to tie back my hair LOL. Flew out of the house to the hospital with the other two so there was definitely no primping--but looking back at the video/pics, I wish I had the time to do some!

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sure I didn't look too good! Two were natural and two were epidurals that didn't really take so my appearance was kinda the last thing on my mind. I got a couple nice pictures of myself after the births so I guess I looked ok.

What I always hate is the pics that are from the next few days when your face gets swollen for whatever reason (Maybe that doesn't happen to other people but it sure does to me! So all the newborn pics I look like a total stranger.)

xnicolax
March 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge after giving birth to all 4. That being said, the camera is not allowed anywhere near me until I have sorted myself out. Atomic, I get that too, it seems to get bigger and bigger through pregnancy then deflates in the few days after delivery.

Orchid
March 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I looked like a ghost. The pregnancy had made my neck and lips darker than normal. (Dont know why). I had extremely high blood pressure and I was swollen all over. Not a pretty site.

LolaInLove
March 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I looked like ass after both, and I do get the puffed-up face (and body) after delivery also. When my 1st was born, I labored unsuccessfully for 33 hours and then had a section, so with all the fluid they put in me, I had massive cankles and looked like a water-balloon version of myself. I can barely stand to look at my legs in those shots! Not to mention I had a bolus of demerol during repair (as my stinking epidural wore off and I could FEEL the section pain!) so I also look like a crackhead. It was horrible, but hey, she came into the world and was fine.

I have known more than a few women who opted for c-sections JUST so they could A) look pretty in the photos and B) didn't have to "deal with labor and mess up my vagina." I had to bite my tongue, but the photo part was always mentioned as a reason.

Gus
March 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Not good!

Wanting a daughter
March 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I looked like crap but I still love those photos. They are REAL, that's what happened, it was hard and tiring and it shows on my face. LOVE IT!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
For DD3, I had my dream VBA2C (Vaginal birth after 2 prior cesareans) - all natural- well that part was not a dream- I fought for years and years dreaming and hoping that this would come true. Just like now how I am obsessed with PDG and wanting a boy, I was like that with VBAC.

Anyway getting to the point, in my pictures, you can see how happy I was to finally have peace with birth. My bangs were all whispy and happiness in my face. I had no makeup on, but just such a glow in my face such a look a closure. With the c-sections, I looked like hell.

Birth was just as important to me as how bad I want a DS.

Ashgirl
March 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I think the question should be: How BAD did you look after baby's birth! ;) Pumped up on Pitocin and other fluids, no makeup, hair a MESS - I was down right hideous! Most of the after birth pictures were not shown. Only the ones a day later after I had showered, washed & blow dried my hair, and put on a little makeup.

Wishing4Emma
March 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I had a section with both of my boys (I cannot have vaginal birth as the baby has always been too big to pass) and I had makeup/hair done. So my pictures at first look great, but the next several days weren't so good. I looked like crap after the epi wore off and I started to feel the pain. I seem to look worse each time...

Bee Shine
March 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Not that great. I was swollen and a mess! I think I attempted to wear makeup...

skrimpy
March 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Mine were all born at home and well, I think that I looked good - I had just finished giving birth to a new person! But I'm sure I wasn't all dolled up and looking ready for a photo shoot :p

I like most of the pictures of me postpartum because I'm just flushed with that "OMG I AM AWESOME" look... there are a few shots where I'm lying back looking exhausted and I don't like those too much... but hey, gotta give myself a break :p

TTC5
March 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Far out how I looked was the last thing on my mind!
I had no make up and was wearing old daggy tee shirts lol

ThinkPink
March 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well I really thought DS was going to arrive early so from 36 weeks I kept my legs saved, my hair nice ect but when 41 weeks came and went I totally gave up so when I went in to labour at 41+6 I looked awful!!

TWINSplz!
March 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I looked normal. I never really wear make-up unless we are dressing up. So I looked like myself! I have had extremely easy deliveries with all of my boys..2 hours max with 2-3 pushes. So I didn't look all stressed out. But I did look puffy.

Hobbermittens
March 19th, 2011, 12:19 AM
You've just been sweating naked for hours with random people sticking their hands up your hoo-hah and probably pooping on the bed while pushing. Is it really the time for vanity? Seems silly to me.

I have to agree with this! I looked pretty puffy and exhausted. I never thought I was supposed to look "good" during labor.

sixhappysons
March 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I always look super rough after delivery but never cared too much either.:oops:

Typical_Jules
March 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
this reminds me off when i was laboring with Ds 2 the nurse and the stupid DH suggested thast i brush my hair!!!i was in alot of pain and it really pissed me off at the time

DoulaMama
March 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Mine were all born at home and well, I think that I looked good - I had just finished giving birth to a new person! But I'm sure I wasn't all dolled up and looking ready for a photo shoot :p

I have a pic of me looking at the camera, beaming, after the UC of my third child :) I LOVE that pic. DS2 and DS3 were born at home. DS1 was born at the hospital, I hadn't slept well the night before, they'd slipped an IV into me with me without me knowing and I was puffy from the fluids...I looked like hell in those pics....but I still like them. I like how raw they are.

Zivic-Bubac
March 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
You've just been sweating naked for hours with random people sticking their hands up your hoo-hah and probably pooping on the bed while pushing. Is it really the time for vanity? Seems silly to me. (I don't mean "you" in the personal sense, of course).

I always braid my hair to get it out of my face. But makeup would be a lost cause. Maybe the women that do this are the ones who get the epidural at like 2 cm and sleep through their labors. I'm told such people exist. :):rofl: and sooo true!
Oh guys, all your answers are so great and so real!
I brought make-up with me to the hospital 1st time, but after unmedicated birth, I just gave up.
Second time I was wiser and I didn't do anything for my looks :rofl:

SugarSpice&EverythingNice
May 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
For my first DS, I looked horrible and fat in all my pictures. LOL I was mortified. So for DS2's birth, I put on a face full of makeup before I let anybody take my pictures. hahaha!

Roonarpia
May 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I looked like death warmed over all 3 times!

Betty Draper
May 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Wow a gown? I am picturing the scene from Carrie with the blood all over the prom dress. Childbirth is a bloodbath! I had a water birth on the second birth, and the only thing I insisted on beforehand is that my DH keep a tank top on me so I wasn't filmed flailing around naked. I think the pics of me right at the birth look nice - the beauty of childbirths. But that next few weeks - whew - nasty bloaty hell.

Cinss
May 10th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I did put make up on while i was at home, then 12 hours later after my daughter was born i looked horrible in photos, all the make up dissapeared. I watch all the shows on tv where they give birth and still look fresh... i don't get that at all.

nicnee1976
May 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I looked sweaty, greasy, messy hair, like I hadn't slept in 3 days, fat, haggard and pretty much like I had been dragged through a bush backwards!! But my babies looked beautiful!!
I have to add I looked like all the above for several weeks after too!!

CapricornAquarius
May 20th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Mmmmm never really thought of that! I guess it depends on the time of day you go into labour. With my first it was really early in the morning so there was no chance I was putting on makeup but with my second it was in the arfternoon so I already had a bit of makeup on, regardless I looked horrible either way after giving birth :(

lena
May 23rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
In my after birth pictures (especially DS1 after 38 hours labour and going in to have a c-section for not progressing) it looks like I haven't brushed my hair in days LOL

Tink18
May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Funny, I am one of those people who really cares about my appearance. So I swore to myself that no matter what time of day I went into labor i would "attempt" to make sure I looked nice. My water broke at 1:09 am in the morning. I got up took a shower, shaved and took my time. I labored at home for a long time. I put on some makeup around 6AM and made my hair look nice. I had a 30 hour labor. No meds, all natural. After my daughter was born everyone told me I still looked really calm and pretty. I had a calm, long labor but I tried really hard to make the best of it as my back labor sucked since it was like hot baseball bats with knifes in the across my backs. I did my best, But i look at some of the pictures and although its not my better looking days, they are the most beautiful pictures of me with my baby girl in her first minutes of life. My husband looking over us and then hugging us. The first time we became a family of 3. So at the end of the day it didn't matter if my mascara was perfect because I was hysterical anyways.