PDA

View Full Version : PGD undetermined results

Dreaming
March 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
The best embryo from my first IVF cycle, a grade AA hatching blast came back with an undetermined PGD result. Why do such results occur in the PGD process, especially in metabolically robust embryos and can such results be prevented before the biopsy is sent away? My last question! Thank you very much for your time!

Carole
March 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hi Dreaming,
Sorry I missed your question earlier. An undetermined PGD result may mean that the quality of the cell sample was not good enough to pick up a signal, perhaps because it was not properly fixed. Sometimes, the cell that is chosen for biopsy is missing a nucleus which is where the DNA is. Cells can divide unevenly and one daughter cell may get all the DNA, the other none. Obviously, this cell without a nucleus has no DNA to test. It might mean that the control didn't work. You might ask for the number of the lab that did the testing and ask for a more detailed explanation for the genetic lab staff or director. There may be other reasons for an indeterminate result that I am not thinking of.
Carole

Dreaming
March 12th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Thank you Carole for the time you took to respond to all of my questions! Much appreciated.