PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin?!! How much?!

TTC5
March 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I bought some gelatine (McCormicks brand) it comes in a 100gm container. How much and how often, do DH and myself need to consume this?

atomic sagebrush
March 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM
One tablespoon in juice 3 times a day. (I edited the Boy Bev. essay because it was listed by "packet" and not by measure which is not helpful if your gelatin doesn't come in packets!! (Thank you for asking, I never would have realized that otherwise!!)

TTC5
March 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thankyou!!!!

TTC5
March 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
OMG that stuff is horrid I almost threw up! Is there something else we can use instead and what about jelly would that be just as good?

skrimpy
March 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
TTC5 you can use it to make gelatin squares (or shapes) - Jello here in the US, I'm not sure if you have Jello there? But you can put pretty much anything in it. When I make it for my kids I put a little honey in and coconut milk. But you can put some fruit in instead.

I think the best way that I use it is to add it to sauces I'm making for roast chicken or beef roast. I take chicken broth or beef broth and add the drippings from the roast (about 2 cups broth). Then I add a couple of tablespoons of gelatin to that and turn it on a high heat so it's at a rolling boil. I watch it until the stock reduces down to more of a "gravy" consistency. I taste it to see if it needs salt or butter for flavor (beef roast drippings almost never do, chicken sometimes needs some butter for flavor). Then you can drizzle this over your meat, dip your meat, serve over rice with your meat, or potatoes, etc. This is called a reduction sauce. You have to watch it so you don't boil off all the stock, but it is GOOOOOD!

TTC5
March 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
On IG someone told me to have 2 tsp? Should we be having this or the tablespoons?
I can def taste it, it is awful??
Leaves a yukky after taste =(

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Brilliant skrimpy! I will add that to the recipes! I bet you could also make a pretty nice consomme out of beef broth and lemon!

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
On IG someone told me to have 2 tsp? Should we be having this or the tablespoons?
I can def taste it, it is awful??
Leaves a yukky after taste =(

3 tsp. is the same as 1 tablespoon so it is very close to the same amount. Honestly I think 2 tsp is probably plenty. I got the 1 packet/1 tablespoon amount from the FAQ in IG but if 2 tsp. goes down easier, 2 tsp. it is!

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
OMG that stuff is horrid I almost threw up! Is there something else we can use instead and what about jelly would that be just as good?

I'm sorry it's so gross!!! If you used it to make a gelatin dessert that would prob. be fine but I think the problem is you would have to eat a TON of it to get the amount you need to eat.

TTC5
March 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Well I have found it is edible hidden in my tomato sauce lol does it matter what it is mixed with?

LolaInLove
March 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, it is some thick and nasty stuff, like drinking cottage cheese or something. I mixed it in a smoothie in the morning with a banana and pineapple or other fruit juice.

Skrimpy, awesome idea! My kids are all about good old classic Jello with fruit chunks mixed in....we like to see what crazy combos we can come up with. My fave is lime jello with red cherry chunks in it (real cherries, too, not the icky marachino ones).

skrimpy
March 9th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Brilliant skrimpy! I will add that to the recipes! I bet you could also make a pretty nice consomme out of beef broth and lemon!

Feel free - always happy to share :D I could easily eat all the sauce myself, too... though I try to share with the family :p It's a good way to use gelatin, and I think it helps the sauce. Plus it also really helps me get meat (and thus protein) down when I'm pregnant and don't care for the texture of meat as much.

skrimpy
March 9th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Yes, it is some thick and nasty stuff, like drinking cottage cheese or something. I mixed it in a smoothie in the morning with a banana and pineapple or other fruit juice.

Skrimpy, awesome idea! My kids are all about good old classic Jello with fruit chunks mixed in....we like to see what crazy combos we can come up with. My fave is lime jello with red cherry chunks in it (real cherries, too, not the icky marachino ones).

My kiddos love it when they see me break out the "Jiggler making" supplies too!

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
LOL jigglers!!! I HATE HATE HATE meat when pg too, especially fish....will have to try the gelatin with sauces. I love sauce anyway, I am a condiment/saucing fool. Hope you are feeling good, Skrimpy! BTW, I noticed in the survey post that you work in theater....me too, ballet here! I'm a total theater rat.

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
So, are the ****s of jello good? I'm sure I could manage to eat a couple of those a day, all in a good cause of course :)

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I think jello is good, but it's a love/hate thing with most people. Is that not a staple kids/old person food in UK? :rofl: You can't go in a school cafeteria or hospital in the USA and not find some jello! Like AS said, you'd have to eat a whole batch of it (like a batch of brownies amount) to get what you get in mixing one packet in some juice, but hey, it's cheap and fun for kids to make and eat!

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Whoa!! Tha's alot of jello! I'll have to see if my Granny's got any in her cupboard:bigsmile:

LolaInLove
March 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yea, you'd be working on that tray of jello for a WHILE! I bought some peach kind last night and am going to chop up some peaches and put them in there, seems like a groovy combo. :bigsmile:

atomic sagebrush
March 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yea, you'd be working on that tray of jello for a WHILE! I bought some peach kind last night and am going to chop up some peaches and put them in there, seems like a groovy combo. :bigsmile:

At the very least, you know that it's a boy-friendly dessert that you can make for the whole family! Try it with bananas in it!!

3Pink1Blue
March 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I mix my packet with hot juice and toss it in the fridge so it sets up to jello. 3 8oz servings of jello throughout the day is totally do-able for me. I use pineapple juice and it's actually pretty yummy, just be sure to stir, stir, stir till all the gelatin dissolves or you get a tasteless chewy layer in the bottom of the cup.