PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Yeast Flakes

TTC5
March 8th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Have been searching for these and came across a health food store today and bought "Lotus brand: Savoury Yeast Flakes: ideal for vegetarians." the lady said she has not heard of NYF but this sounds like it may be it??
Ingredients: dried yeast, niacin(b3) pyridoxine(b6) thiamin(b1) riboflavin(b2) and vitamin b12.

Do you think it is the same thing?

TTC5
March 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM
All good, found it! For any other aussie swayers it is the same thing guys!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Have been searching for these and came across a health food store today and bought "Lotus brand: Savoury Yeast Flakes: ideal for vegetarians." the lady said she has not heard of NYF but this sounds like it may be it??
Ingredients: dried yeast, niacin(b3) pyridoxine(b6) thiamin(b1) riboflavin(b2) and vitamin b12.

Do you think it is the same thing?

Yes, that's the stuff! thanks for letting everyone know!

LolaInLove
March 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I absolutely HATE the taste of them! Let me know if you find some good mixers....V8 is the best I can do right now, and even that is a nose-pincher for me.

Vinter
March 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Nasty stuff that is! I mixed mine with fresh juice. I dont think anything can hide the taste, lol!

TTC5
March 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Really? I liked it, lol!!!

TTC5
March 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
How much should we have of this a day?

LolaInLove
March 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I suspect it might taste less like ass with some warm broth or something earthy. Is it a good idea for when you are pg, or in the 2ww?

atomic sagebrush
March 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I suspect it might taste less like ass with some warm broth or something earthy. Is it a good idea for when you are pg, or in the 2ww?

Yes it's GREAT for pregnancy. I drank TONS of it when I was pregnant with DS 2 because I was anemic and can't stomach iron pills.

atomic sagebrush
March 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
How much should we have of this a day?

As much as you like within reason. If you ingest massive amounts over the course of time, obviously that is never a good idea for ANYTHING.

"The recommended daily amount of nutritional yeast is approximately 2 tablespoons of large flakes, 1 1/2 tablespoons of miniflakes, or 1 heaping tablespoon of powder. Occasionally having larger servings than this should not pose a problem, but on a regular basis it would be smart to stay closer to these guidelines."

TTC5
March 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks Atomic!
I had a tablepoon mixed with soup yesterday and another tablespoon at dinner mixed in my mash potato =)

atomic sagebrush
March 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Good job!!