PDA

View Full Version : Another proof about weight and conceiving girls

pinksapphire
March 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I know this has been discussed what seems like a billion times over but I just feel the need to post this. Every single woman that I know that is very overweight has girls. All girls. A woman at work just had her second girl (the sex of the baby was not known prior to her birth) and both her and her husband are very overweight. Maybe it's the fact that both parents are overweight and not just the mother, I don't know, but I see it time and time again. I work in a school so I see a lot of pregnant women here and it happens without fail every time! And yet here we are all trying to lose weight to conceive a girl when I see the exact opposite happening all the time.

Now I know people can say that they are thin and have girls of their own so I know it happens. I, myself, am thin and active and conceived 1 girl and 2 boys naturally but I just can't help but think that I'm killing myself now for nothing! I lost about 3 lbs. or so and I'm small to begin with but I was at my lowest weight when I was conceived DS2.

I don't know. Just wanted to vent that I just don't know if I one can really control it! Maybe a lot more has to do with the husbands and we just don't see them as often when we are looking at the mothers and their children.

Coccinelle33
March 9th, 2011, 02:24 PM
i have always saw the same thing... i did lose like 10 pounds when ttc my dd though and with all my boys i was my same weight. im small to start.

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I know this has been discussed what seems like a billion times over but I just feel the need to post this. Every single woman that I know that is very overweight has girls. All girls. A woman at work just had her second girl (the sex of the baby was not known prior to her birth) and both her and her husband are very overweight. Maybe it's the fact that both parents are overweight and not just the mother, I don't know, but I see it time and time again. I work in a school so I see a lot of pregnant women here and it happens without fail every time! And yet here we are all trying to lose weight to conceive a girl when I see the exact opposite happening all the time.

Now I know people can say that they are thin and have girls of their own so I know it happens. I, myself, am thin and active and conceived 1 girl and 2 boys naturally but I just can't help but think that I'm killing myself now for nothing! I lost about 3 lbs. or so and I'm small to begin with but I was at my lowest weight when I was conceived DS2.

I don't know. Just wanted to vent that I just don't know if I one can really control it! Maybe a lot more has to do with the husbands and we just don't see them as often when we are looking at the mothers and their children.

Being very heavy and very thin BOTH sway pink because you're less fertile when you're very thin and very heavy. People in the middle ranges of weight are more likely to have optimal fertility and therefore, more boys. But of course I can't advise people to gain 100 lbs. to sway pink. :)

Most of the women I see/know with all girls are either very heavy or very thin, no in between. The interesting thing is that the two gals I know who have lost massive amounts of weight (one from having her stomach stapled) went from having all boys to having all girls.

pinksapphire
March 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
i have always saw the same thing... i did lose like 10 pounds when ttc my dd though and with all my boys i was my same weight. im small to start.

I know the idea is to be either heavy or very, very thin so maybe I need to lose another 5-8 pounds myself. I don't know. I'm clearly frustrated!!! LOL It's also b/c, like I said earlier, I was at my smallest weight (smallest of all three conceptions) when we conceived DS2 which was pretty small - size 0. Grrrrrr!!!! Help, I need a rice cake!!!! LOL

pinksapphire
March 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Being very heavy and very thin BOTH sway pink because you're less fertile when you're very thin and very heavy. People in the middle ranges of weight are more likely to have optimal fertility and therefore, more boys. But of course I can't advise people to gain 100 lbs. to sway pink. :)

Most of the women I see/know with all girls are either very heavy or very thin, no in between. The interesting thing is that the two gals I know who have lost massive amounts of weight (one from having her stomach stapled) went from having all boys to having all girls.

We must have been writing at the same time! LOL

Okay so I just have to continue to starve myself and work out like mad (while working full-time and being a full-time mom as well) but that equals stress too. Then again, I was stressed when we conceived our angel DD too so maybe stress works toward pink in my case. ???

F R U S T R A T E D ! ! !

Babushka
March 10th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hi pinksapphire, I feel your pain, sister! I know and see heaps of overweight women with all daughters too. AND i have a very very thin girlfriend who has all daughters, so it makes sense. ANd I am stuck in the middle! There is nothing for us to do but stress that we aren't fat enough and not skinny enough! ;) Now that i am swaying myself i do find myself analysing every single lady and then poking my head into the pram to see what gender they have in there! It's like I am running some kind of survey in my brain! I am officially a weirdo!

nuthinbutpink
March 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Well, if estrogen levels sway, it would make sense that obese women have more girls because fat cells are a primary source of estrogen, and in obese people, the increased number of fat cells can increase the overall levels of estrogen. In women, another internal cause of high estrogen levels is peri-menopause, which beings about five to seven years before menopause. During this time, estrogen levels can become higher before they decrease drastically with menopause.(the older you are, the more likely you are to have a girl too so again, estrogen dominance lines up with swaying here)

The swaying you guys do on here is like an extreme sport. It probably depends on how your body handles the change in diet and if in reaction, starts to convert muscle to fat and thus increase your estrogen levels.

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Now that i am swaying myself i do find myself analysing every single lady and then poking my head into the pram to see what gender they have in there!!

Lol, I do this aswell:rofl:

atomic sagebrush
March 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hi pinksapphire, I feel your pain, sister! I know and see heaps of overweight women with all daughters too. AND i have a very very thin girlfriend who has all daughters, so it makes sense. ANd I am stuck in the middle! There is nothing for us to do but stress that we aren't fat enough and not skinny enough! ;) Now that i am swaying myself i do find myself analysing every single lady and then poking my head into the pram to see what gender they have in there! It's like I am running some kind of survey in my brain! I am officially a weirdo!

Yeah, I do this too! I guess I am the exception because the people I see walking around the store with all girls are almost always rail thin and very glamourous looking.

I do know three people who are on the heavy side and have all girls, but I know one of them habitually starts a crash diet trying to lose weight before she gets pregnant. But my great-grandma who had 6 girls was always thin as is my mom and stepmom.

I WISH I had the answers to everything and that I could offer a guarantee but all I can do is offer the info that I can uncover and try to come up with the methods that will work the best for the majority of people. I think there will always be swaying opposites unfortunately but I believe with all my heart and soul that every one of us CAN conceive a baby girl and most can conceive a baby boy.

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
You have already done a great job AS, and have helped start a fantastic forum where all these new ideas can be brought up and investigated in a fresh new way, another set of:agree::agree: heading over:bigsmile:

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I had another thought. Do you think there may be a bmi pattern to it? women below and above a certain level more likely to conceive girls? As I am short and a bit chunky lately, I was definately trimmer during my boy time. My bmi is 28.7currently and has been around this for my last 3 conceptions, before that I used to be around 25. I know muscle mass comes into it aswell so that would mess things up a bit, but we could have a bmi and muscle description survey, lean, muscular, flabby lol. I shouldn't be laughing cos I'm in the flabby catagory atm:oops: used to be muscular, honest.

atomic sagebrush
March 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I had another thought. Do you think there may be a bmi pattern to it? women below and above a certain level more likely to conceive girls? As I am short and a bit chunky lately, I was definately trimmer during my boy time. My bmi is 28.7currently and has been around this for my last 3 conceptions, before that I used to be around 25. I know muscle mass comes into it aswell so that would mess things up a bit, but we could have a bmi and muscle description survey, lean, muscular, flabby lol. I shouldn't be laughing cos I'm in the flabby catagory atm:oops: used to be muscular, honest.

That is what I wonder as well. It's hard to tell just by looking at someone, how much muscle mass they have and how much they even weigh. I have noticed that the superthin moms I see with all girls have VERY thin legs and even when I'm quite thin I still have "thunder thighs" - that is the last part of me to lose weight but it is usually covered, so I ~look~ thinner than I actually am. I think the same can be true for heavier people as well, it's hard to tell how much is fat and how much is muscle so just by looking at them, who even knows what their body composition truly is.

Also I wonder about metabolism and caloric intake. I can seriously eat as much food as a man and I burn it all off really easily, so even though I'm on the thinnish side I def. eat 2500 cals a day if not more, and also all the nutrients that go along with eating that much. I know people who weigh much more than me and eat way less, so if caloric intake and nutrients really are a factor, I can easily see how a heavy person with a low metabolism might not be eating as much as a thin person with a high metabolism.

pinksapphire
March 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks, atomic, for always putting together all of this information for us. I was just venting as it's so frustrating and so hard to keep doing this....thinking about what I'm eating, when I'm going to fit in all this cardio, being hungry, etc. It's certainly easier for me than to gain 100 lbs. though. :eek::eek:

atomic sagebrush
March 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh I TOTALLY get that and I'm so glad you brought it up because it's prompting me to put together an essay with ALL the links together in one place! Much appreciated. ♥ It is VERY frustrating and I wish I could just find that magic bullet instead!!

TulleExplosion
March 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry to throw a wrench in this, but before conceiving all THREE of my girls, I lost significant amounts of weight (weight watchers, cardio, 15-20 lb loss). I was always dieting and watching what I ate as well.

ELP
March 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I think that weight loss is quite a big pink swayer, because the body thinks its not in a time of plenty so conceives more girls as they can survive in less perfect conditions? I've always thought it would be interesting if anyone was part of a weight loss club and noticed any trends in the ladies there if they conceived, were they just losing weight and doing cardio or eating better and building muscle.

atomic sagebrush
March 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Sorry to throw a wrench in this, but before conceiving all THREE of my girls, I lost significant amounts of weight (weight watchers, cardio, 15-20 lb loss). I was always dieting and watching what I ate as well.

Yes, weight loss does tend to sway pink! Thank you for sharing your experience!

atomic sagebrush
March 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I think that weight loss is quite a big pink swayer, because the body thinks its not in a time of plenty so conceives more girls as they can survive in less perfect conditions? I've always thought it would be interesting if anyone was part of a weight loss club and noticed any trends in the ladies there if they conceived, were they just losing weight and doing cardio or eating better and building muscle.

Two people I know from IG who both lost significant amounts of weight, (one even had her stomach stapled) went from having all boys when they were heavy (one had two and the other had 3 or 4) to having all girls. Both had two more daughters. Obviously a sample of two is not scientific but I did always think that was very interesting.

cocos-mum
March 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
when i got pg with my girl i was a 12-14 so not small but when i got pg with my boy i was a 18
but i think my big difference is i ate alot more with my son

purplepoet20
March 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I was 110 lbs when I first met my hubby who was 275 lbs, odd mix I know but it was love. I was 120 lbs at the time I got pregnant and sadly I was 181 lbs after 9mths. I was able to get to 155 lbs and couldn't loose anymore and then I got pregnant again. And very sad to say I was 191 when he was born.... I am at 154 now and working to loose about 20 lbs before I conceive.

I believe our big problem was diet and our lifestyle at the time... winter from Oct-Mar in front of the tv with junk food, summer time outside for hours and ate anything that could be BBQ, and eating a lot of Italian and Mexican. We have made many changes and will make more in the next few months.

chachamama
April 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know.. I am VERY heavy and was with both my boys and I have 2 boys.. but I also eat a boy-friendly diet so that could be why. Maybe other very heavy women eat more girl-friendly foods.

Indira
April 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I can seriously eat as much food as a man and I burn it all off really easily, so even though I'm on the thinnish side I def. eat 2500 cals a day if not more, and also all the nutrients that go along with eating that much.

I´m exactly like this and have two boys. Reading on here these days I wondered if this eating/snacking a lot without gaining weight is linked with testosteron levels, in my experience I saw a lot of young men/adolescents (so in a period when testosteron rises) that eat really big quantities of food still staying thin.

Anyway, I snack a lot (well, I used to :happy:) and my friends that snack like me but gain weight because of it, have girls.

swish
April 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Me too! I can eat anything and never gain weight, I have 2 boys too. I would say I eat more than a lot of girls.

queen-of-harts
April 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
My sil had 3 girls and was 230 pounds then she had her son after gaining 10 pounds. I had my first son at 170 pounds and was eating well,and my weight has slowly creeped up and i was 270 when i had my 6th i have gone from fat to very obese and had all boys.I always see skinny ladies with the girls but my guess is when we see a very heavy girl mom that maybe she lost some weight right before conception and it swayed pink.On another note sil never ate breakfast with the girls just coffee but started to right before her boy.

queen-of-harts
April 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Two people I know from IG who both lost significant amounts of weight, (one even had her stomach stapled) went from having all boys when they were heavy (one had two and the other had 3 or 4) to having all girls. Both had two more daughters. Obviously a sample of two is not scientific but I did always think that was very interesting.

It makes alot of sense! suddenly your body senses food is not so plentifull as before and sees having a girl who requires less calories as the safer bet.

atomic sagebrush
April 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I don't know.. I am VERY heavy and was with both my boys and I have 2 boys.. but I also eat a boy-friendly diet so that could be why. Maybe other very heavy women eat more girl-friendly foods.

Yes, another lady I know who is very heavy (and even smokes) also has a boy. There are no guarantees in any of this, it all comes down to how your body type affects your body chemistry.

atomic sagebrush
April 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Me too! I can eat anything and never gain weight, I have 2 boys too. I would say I eat more than a lot of girls.

One time I was at an acquaintance's house and she was going to eat lunch and she had ONE Hot Pocket. I remember thinking, "I didn't even know you could eat just one Hot Pocket? I mean they come in packs of two, don't you have to eat BOTH of them??":rofl:

atomic sagebrush
April 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I´m exactly like this and have two boys. Reading on here these days I wondered if this eating/snacking a lot without gaining weight is linked with testosteron levels, in my experience I saw a lot of young men/adolescents (so in a period when testosteron rises) that eat really big quantities of food still staying thin.

Anyway, I snack a lot (well, I used to :happy:) and my friends that snack like me but gain weight because of it, have girls.

It very well could be, in a roundabout fashion, because muscle burns 7-10 calories a day (and that rate goes WAY up after exercise, muscle keeps burning calories for hours after exercise) and fat only burns 2-3 calories. So for every pound of muscle you have rather than pounds of fat, you burn two or three times as many calories.

Muscle signals the body to make more testosterone as well, so more muscle equals both more cals burned and more testosterone.

glory
March 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
Well, I was very, very overweight with ds1 and 2, in the obese category. Between ds 2 and 3, I got a lap band and lost 80 pounds and still another boy. I blame my husband lol

Princess of Pink
March 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM
I just can't win...I have been scary skinny for my first...healthy weight range and looking good for #2....a little chubby for #3....overweight for #4.....obese for #5....still all girls!! I lost a heap of weight about 2yrs ago and have steadily been gaining on the boy diet....possibly overweight now but not obese like with DD#5.

rainbowflower
March 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
I don't think that weight itself actually sways - the Oxford study showed that boy mums2be and girl mums2be had IDENTICAL BMIs. If weight swayed, you'd expect to see a difference.

Perhaps those you know who were overweight were trying to lose weight and it was the weight loss that swayed pink?

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I don't think that weight itself actually sways - the Oxford study showed that boy mums2be and girl mums2be had IDENTICAL BMIs. If weight swayed, you'd expect to see a difference.

Perhaps those you know who were overweight were trying to lose weight and it was the weight loss that swayed pink?

I have another study that does indicate weight itself matters - I think it's the one in the link below.

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Well, I was very, very overweight with ds1 and 2, in the obese category. Between ds 2 and 3, I got a lap band and lost 80 pounds and still another boy. I blame my husband lol

None of this is 100% unfortunately!

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
I just can't win...I have been scary skinny for my first...healthy weight range and looking good for #2....a little chubby for #3....overweight for #4.....obese for #5....still all girls!! I lost a heap of weight about 2yrs ago and have steadily been gaining on the boy diet....possibly overweight now but not obese like with DD#5.

It's not weight per se that sways tho, it's what goes on in your body as a result of that weight. If your fertility is slightly reduced at any weight, you're more likely to conceive a girl. It's jsut that being very thin does tend to reduce fertility in a pretty reliable way for most people, plus, it's good for most of us to lose a little weight anyway.

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion/3187-big-girls-little-girls-baby-girls-boys.html

HopeandDreamG
March 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
I didn't read through this whole thread so maybe what I am about to say has already been stated. I was very heavy when I conceived both my sons. Ds1 was conceived 1st attempt, ds2 an oopsie. Both times I was gaining weight. I think its the process of what's happening like gaining or losing not your weight, not where your weight is/except when your weight is effecting your fertility negatively which sways girl. I conceived a girl as I was losing weight consistently each week. Again an oopsie.

hbcd123
October 11th, 2012, 05:12 AM
mmmm very interseting!! when i concieved my ds i was 22 and i was 156lbs and when i concieved my dd i was 32 and i was 135lbs now swaying girl im 128 lbs but been here for a year and cant seem to loose!!

The Anchor
October 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have two girlfriends, both overweight, both with 2 daughters. And the thing is, these women are on PERPETUAL diets, I mean always. I'm fairly convinced that they have hormonal issues, because they really don't eat much, at least when we're out to lunch or something, and they are always discussing the latest "diet".

I think it's been said...seems like the over/underweight ladies are pink moms and the "average" are blue moms...at least in my circle!

atomic sagebrush
October 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone who's interested in more about this topic, please read the following:

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion-ttc-boy-girl-home-swaying-info/3187-big-girls-little-girls-baby-girls-boys.html

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion-ttc-boy-girl-home-swaying-info/12340-understanding-trivers-willard-hypothesis.html

AMY
October 21st, 2012, 08:31 AM

So funny, I am doing the exact same thing. And I noticed I can tell the gender by the mothers appearance with 80% accurancy. ;)