PDA

View Full Version : Moms at school?

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Do you like the Moms at school or is it just me?

They are catty, competitive with their children and gossipy.

When I go to the preschool, I keep to myself. I will do small talk and that is it.

How much do you chit chat at the preschool, grade school or highschool?

I do not know if it is mainly because the GD always gets in the way or if I had my DG if I would still not want to be involved with the Moms?

I hope that this thread is not lame.

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Girl, I live in a fairly conservative area, and I am not your average-looking soccer mom, so often I get looks from Moms like I'm a punk or something (I don't look like a punk, just have a big tattoo on my leg and I dress pretty funky). I will try to make some small talk with some around me, but I usually just try to go hang out with my kid as I find them far more interesting than any weirdo adults. But sometimes there are other cool parents, and I try to never judge a book by its cover, as I get subjected to sometimes.

Don't feel bad for feeling like they all suck....I know you've said they give you the "all girls?" comments which are stupid and annoying, plus you've had a few catty b**ches say other rude things to you (I read those posts and got so mad for you!!!). I know I would avoid those people like the plague....I am sort of expecting it when (if) I get pg again.

Whenever my kids are in a new class and I go to the room for the first time, I can usually spot the other cool (ie. non-competitive and laid-back) parents pretty quickly and I will try to gravitate over that way.

My girls are both in elementary now, but the preschool parents at the church preschool that my girls went to from 2-4 was the worst!!!! They were so conservative, and I don't know why it bugged me so much when they would look at my like I was about to whip some newborn puppies out of my purse and bite their heads off! (Back then, I dyed my hair black too....but I am not gothy at all! Just funky is how I'd put it.) I knew it was bothering me when I'd rethink my wardrobe decisions in the morning when I had to go up and there try to find the most conservative long pants possible and blah blah.

Hope that's not a lame answer/rambling!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 10th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Girl, I live in a fairly conservative area, and I am not your average-looking soccer mom, so often I get looks from Moms like I'm a punk or something (I don't look like a punk, just have a big tattoo on my leg and I dress pretty funky). I will try to make some small talk with some around me, but I usually just try to go hang out with my kid as I find them far more interesting than any weirdo adults. But sometimes there are other cool parents, and I try to never judge a book by its cover, as I get subjected to sometimes.

Don't feel bad for feeling like they all suck....I know you've said they give you the "all girls?" comments which are stupid and annoying, plus you've had a few catty b**ches say other rude things to you (I read those posts and got so mad for you!!!). I know I would avoid those people like the plague....I am sort of expecting it when (if) I get pg again.

Maybe that is why I sought of feel like that because of the dumb comments. I also feel like I can spot phoneys. And it takes such a long time to know how a person really is. It is a total of like 10 minutes of waiting time to get the children but in that 5 or 10 minutes gee so much freaking talking.Whenever my kids are in a new class and I go to the room for the first time, I can usually spot the other cool (ie. non-competitive and laid-back) parents pretty quickly and I will try to gravitate over that way.

My girls are both in elementary now, but the preschool parents at the church preschool that my girls went to from 2-4 was the worst!!!! They were so conservative, and I don't know why it bugged me so much when they would look at my like I was about to whip some newborn puppies out of my purse and bite their heads off! (Back then, I dyed my hair black too....but I am not gothy at all! Just funky is how I'd put it.) I knew it was bothering me when I'd rethink my wardrobe decisions in the morning when I had to go up and there try to find the most conservative long pants possible and blah blah.

I just got my boots that I ordered from sears. They go over the knee and I want to wear them with black stretch pants. But waiting until I loose more weight. But I know even if I was at my desired weight, I would get looks with those boots LOL.

Hope that's not a lame answer/rambling!

No I love what you wrote. I just always feel like the odd ball. It is like I just do not want to be bothered. I just am trying to concentrate on my own life. I do not want these people at the school to be my new friends. I hang out with a grandmother and her daughter is the mother to the preschooler. They are very nice and not gossipy. As a matter of fact, I drive the grandmother home and in turn she helps me with my 9 month old if I need the help. All the mothers look at me and probably wonder why I am so connected with this grandmother. They would never understand that to me it is a more comfortable place. [/COLOR]

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I think it's great that you've formed a friendship with those ladies! I love old people, I would probably do the same! I think you are right on about not needing them to be your friends....and that is what it is with parents at organizations, you know....some of them think everyone has to be friends and they must know all about you and your family. Maybe it makes them feel better about leaving their kid at that place, who knows. I'm always friendly with people, but I am not good with the formalities in life sometimes....I am kinda all out there, and the conservatives don't take well to people like me who tell it like it is. It's the ones with the 20 questions too. And by the way, I think you posted those boots in the Shoes forum and they are sweet!!!! I'd totally wear those!!!!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks so much. Can you believe that those boots were on sale for $20.00. Sears.com has all their boots for so cheap. I mean the inexpensive ones are not real leather though. For me, fake leather will do for now being we are trying to save.

I think it's great that you've formed a friendship with those ladies! I love old people, I would probably do the same! I think you are right on about not needing them to be your friends....and that is what it is with parents at organizations, you know....some of them think everyone has to be friends and they must know all about you and your family. Maybe it makes them feel better about leaving their kid at that place, who knows. I'm always friendly with people, but I am not good with the formalities in life sometimes....I am kinda all out there, and the conservatives don't take well to people like me who tell it like it is. It's the ones with the 20 questions too. And by the way, I think you posted those boots in the Shoes forum and they are sweet!!!! I'd totally wear those!!!!

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm all about some pleather!

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I love/hate the mum's at school lol. The evil side of me just loves it when one of the mum's tries and gets competitive with me but I know I shouldn't, it's my guilty pleasure! Only because there is now no row left in the world over children that I haven't already had:bigsmile: And there's no competition that one of my children hasn't won, the earliest walker, the earliest speaker, the top in lessons, the prettiest, yawn, yawn yawn:bigsmile: Of course it helps that I have usally 4x as many kids as them to choose from:oops:, see why it's my guilty pleasure:bigsmile: They now generally know to avoid me as it's just not worth it and I just sit on my bench, on my own, crunched up like a strange homeless person in my big cardigan in summer, it so funny to even think of, I swear to God I think I frighten half of them :rofl: I can come and visit your school for a laugh if you like NY5:agree:

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
:agree: 8LP LOVE IT! Don't mess with the Mommy Master!!!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM
You are too cute! I wish you can come to my school. I love it, love it and love it.

I love/hate the mum's at school lol. The evil side of me just loves it when one of the mum's tries and gets competitive with me but I know I shouldn't, it's my guilty pleasure! Only because there is now no row left in the world over children that I haven't already had:bigsmile: And there's no competition that one of my children hasn't won, the earliest walker, the earliest speaker, the top in lessons, the prettiest, yawn, yawn yawn:bigsmile: Of course it helps that I have usally 4x as many kids as them to choose from:oops:, see why it's my guilty pleasure:bigsmile: They now generally know to avoid me as it's just not worth it and I just sit on my bench, on my own, crunched up like a strange homeless person in my big cardigan in summer, it so funny to even think of, I swear to God I think I frighten half of them :rofl: I can come and visit your school for a laugh if you like NY5:agree:

skrimpy
March 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I homeschool my kids but my 7yo takes violin lessons and has a group lesson every week. I always feel a little uncomfortable - I'm odd because I have "so many kids" and because we homeschool them. Plus I feel uncomfortable because they let their kids go wild while we are waiting on the teacher and I speak to my 7yo telling him specifically to be quiet and stay calm. They tend to gossip and talk during the lessons and I just don't. It is weird for me and I don't care for it. But I am a pretty shy person and have always been an odd one out, so I don't think I should expect things to be much different now :p I try to smile and be polite but I don't really get into the chatting much.

Liv
March 10th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I like most of the parents at my boys' school. A few have become very good friends of mine. Of course, there are the annoying moms who have the most perfect children, husbands, lives (rolling eyes) and I try my best to ignore them.

Gus
March 12th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I feel out of place with them. We live on the edge of the super wealthy part of town so the moms at my kids' school are usually rich and we are very not. Makes me uncomfortable.