PDA

View Full Version : Is suddenly getting a cold a sign of early pregnancy?

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
So, when I was pg in January (and had a chemical), I was getting over a cold when I conceived, and then it relapsed and it took me 3 weeks to get over it. NOW, I suddenly feel like a cold is coming on today (at 1dpo!) which is very unlike me....I never get sick! Could there be some correlation? Could it be that my immune system immediately stops focusing on warding off all of the dormant germs that lie in the body and starts focusing on the brand new fertilized egg?

Just curious....kind of a random question for us science nerds to ponder.

atomic sagebrush
March 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM
It can be actually. Are you sure it's a cold or is it just stuffiness? Lots of people get stuffy right away when they're pregnant.

ETA - did you take Robitussin? Do you think it could be a rebound from the Robitussin, as in you were making a lot of bodily fluids and now they're drying up and making you feel like you're getting a cold?

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I did take some Mucinex before our bding, but I'm not stuffy. I just have that achy body and muddy brain, as well as that achy feeling in my sinuses that leads all the way up to a headache. Hmmm, maybe I am rebounding from the Mucinex....but I only took it right before bding last night and the night before, because I wasn't expecting to O (thought I already had!). I truly feel like a cold is coming on though....

I just couldn't help but think about putting 2 and 2 together since I just ttc, ya know? Thanks!

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM
In my googling, I found this from the babybelly.com.au site:

A foetus is very clever, even at an early age. In a healthy pregnancy, your immune system is suppressed and prevented from attacking and rejecting the foetus as if it were an foreign object by hormones and antibodies the foetus produces. The antibodies also take part in the growth and development of the placenta. As a result of these hormonal changes to your immune system, you are more susceptible to colds and flu.

babydes56
March 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hope that's what it is, wouldnt it be awesome!!

LolaInLove
March 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
SUPER awesome, although being sick is no fun. I'll take it, though!

ELP
March 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I usually get a really runny nose, I'm not sure when it starts but it is definately a good symptom!

Coccinelle33
March 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
im always cold in early pregnancy. im not sure why but i wake up freezing and just feel cold all the time. good luck!!

TTC5
March 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM
YES!! I always without fail came down with sniffles!!

mkarntz1980
March 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Im wondering to.....im only 4 or 5 DPO but I have had the sniffles the last couple days

mkarntz1980
March 15th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Oh yes and I have been very cold to....who knows, could be all in my todays. Today I am feeling twinges in my belly, kind of like cramps

LolaInLove
March 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh yes and I have been very cold to....who knows, could be all in my todays. Today I am feeling twinges in my belly, kind of like cramps

Exciting! How many dpo are you? I'm 6dpo and feeling a few twinges as well. I do indeed have a lovely sinus infection, which I am annoyed with as I don't want to take any antibiotics, just trying all my natural methods as if I were pg. Still curious, though, as I got a relapse of the flu when I got pg on Dec. 30th (m/c)....I had the flu from 12/24 until right around then, and a couple of days after that conception, it came back with a nice vengeance. I wonder if the immune system is immediately compromised....and re-directed, so to speak, so it doesn't attack the little blastocyst.

TTC5
March 16th, 2011, 01:20 AM
So excited for you Lola!!

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks, girl.....I don't feel pg, not much cramping (implant time) going on, so I am not getting my hopes up. But, you never know. I do wish I could get rid of this horrid sinus infection though, it is killing me!

atomic sagebrush
March 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Exciting! How many dpo are you? I'm 6dpo and feeling a few twinges as well. I do indeed have a lovely sinus infection, which I am annoyed with as I don't want to take any antibiotics, just trying all my natural methods as if I were pg. Still curious, though, as I got a relapse of the flu when I got pg on Dec. 30th (m/c)....I had the flu from 12/24 until right around then, and a couple of days after that conception, it came back with a nice vengeance. I wonder if the immune system is immediately compromised....and re-directed, so to speak, so it doesn't attack the little blastocyst.

That could very well be the case. I have a book somewhere that I can't find (ARGH) that describes in great detail the war that is fought between the mother's body and the blast and how the father's genes do things that trick the mother's body into not attacking the blast.

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Well that wouldn't be surprising as DH constantly tricks me into not attacking things on a less molecular level! :wink: I am so not trying to read into this. Just think it's a strange correlation, as I've said before. Maybe it's my "sign," like some women get veiny boobs immediately, etc.

It's nice to be so busy at work (I am writing grants currently and have a Friday deadline!!!) so I'm not obsessing, although being ill makes writing a bit more challenging as my brain is not functioning properly. I may test on Saturday morning (10dpo) and see what is up.

mkarntz1980
March 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Lola I dont feel pg either....think we overdid it on the acijel/etc plus I was VERY sick which gave me a fake LH surge, who knows last week we DTD monday got a +OPK on IC and CBE digi didnt DTD that night, but wednesday both were negative.....and i usually get 2 days of surges. WE DTD wed night,thursday, got a BLAZING OPK on IC cheapie and CBE digi at 2pm and 5pm, so we DTD Thursday night. I am pretty sure I O'd Friday. But this was our first attempt, and I think I may have overdid it on acijel, replens, lime etc. If im not pg this month, im dropping liime and acijel, and probably just gonna maybe use rephresh.

mkarntz1980
March 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I want to test early to but with my last pg, i didnt get any kind of line even on the FRER till 12 DPO but with my DD and one DS I got a + at 9 or 10 DPO

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mkarntz, sounds like you got a lot of bd in and good timing from what I can tell. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get a bfp on the first attempt....I am on my 8th month! I'm swaying boy, but the first 3 I swear I overdid it on the egg white and all the blue sway stuff for the attempt. You'll find the right combo that fits you and DH and gets you a nice pink bfp! But, here's to hoping we are both pg right now and needn't worry about it anymore!

sixhappysons
March 19th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I ALWAYS get a stinking cold in my tww before a BFP.. FX!! :D

TTC5
March 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Have you tested yet?