PDA

View Full Version : interesting info about improving sperm count and male-factor infertility

atomic sagebrush
March 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
It is directed at couples doing IVF for male-factor infertility but there is good info in there for everyone.

Facing IVF and don't want to wean your baby

http://mythnomore.blogspot.com/2011/02/facing-ivf-and-dont-want-to-wean-your.html

ELP
March 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I've been looking for this thread!! For some reason I thought it had breastfeeding in the title ????

ELP
March 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM
So they recommend 200mg of Co-Q10 daily for DH, I wonder how long he was taking it?

atomic sagebrush
March 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Me too!

CoQ10 is safe to take for as long as you want and it should start helping right away.

bugstooth
March 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hi.
I wrote the blog post and saw traffic from here....
To answer your q re. How long DH had been on the q10, he'd been on it 4 months. His motility went from 39% month 1 to 42%, month 2, then about 10 weeks later it was 51%.
It's important to note that it was ubiquinol q10 (more expensive!), and the % rise was steady and consistent even though the dates make it look like there was a leap. It averaged about 3% improvement per month.
Like the post says, NAPRO don't care about 'normal looking' sperm (at least it's not as important to them as it is for IVF!), they are more concerned with motility. We haven't had another test yet to see if the antibiotics have made an improvement too, that's later this month. NAPRO also have other methods (using drugs like clomid and tamoxifen!) which they have used to successfully improve male fertility if supplements/ diet/ lifestyle etc haven't produced significant results. There are links to more info in the blog. You can leave me a comment if u have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability. Good luck all!
Xo anne

atomic sagebrush
March 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Wow thank you SO MUCH for dropping in to help us!! ♥♥♥

Clomid raises testosterone and so is often used by men to address low T issues and tamoxifen supresses estrogen, in case anyone was wondering how those things might help with male infertility.

Flava
May 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
So it would be the best to give DH this ubiquinol CoQ 10? I find the same one what bugstooth have on her link at amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Ubiquinol-Softgel-60-Count/dp/B0010PK996/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304956406&sr=8-6) free shipping and the price is not so bad compare to the regular CoQ 10.
Im willing to buy this for DH because I want a high sperm count and hopefully bigger chance to have a boy finally.

babydes56
May 9th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Wow thank you SO MUCH for dropping in to help us!! ♥♥♥

Clomid raises testosterone and so is often used by men to address low T issues and tamoxifen supresses estrogen, in case anyone was wondering how those things might help with male infertility.

I didnt realise that clomid raises testosterone, if this is the case then why is it that more girls are born to women who have taken clomid

Flava
May 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Anyone?

bugstooth
May 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Ubiquinol is more efficiently processed by the body than standard Q10. It is also much more expensive. If you can afford it, I advise the Ubiquinol. It certainly helped us.

Flava
May 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks! I find one I think it's the same like what you have in your blog .Would you say this (http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Ubiquinol-Softgel-60-Count/dp/B0010PK996/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304956406&sr=8-6) is good? It's 30 $ on amazon now use to be 60 or what.

atomic sagebrush
May 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I didnt realise that clomid raises testosterone, if this is the case then why is it that more girls are born to women who have taken clomid

Clomid makes hostile CM and sways pink that way.

atomic sagebrush
May 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
So it would be the best to give DH this ubiquinol CoQ 10? I find the same one what bugstooth have on her link at amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-Ubiquinol-Softgel-60-Count/dp/B0010PK996/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304956406&sr=8-6) free shipping and the price is not so bad compare to the regular CoQ 10.
Im willing to buy this for DH because I want a high sperm count and hopefully bigger chance to have a boy finally.

I think that since we know that it did help at least one person, if it's similar in price, then it would be a good thing to try!!!

Flava
May 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
atomic you always make me feel better:hugs: I just needed to make sure it's ok.
Now I go and order it lol. Tnx!

Flava
May 17th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Forget to ask what kind of CoQ10 should I take?? Because this one is only for DH, right?
Or just take L-arginine? We only take one of this i guess? But lots of girls says arginine mess up their cycle so I don't know what to do.:think:

Zivic-Bubac
May 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Flava, check this http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?3327-Improving-egg-quality&p=34862#post34862
I was thinking for dh 100 mg of CoQ10 and for me maybe 100 mg or a bit less ( there are also 60 mg tablets available)I always forget to ask you: are you Almost Perfect from IG?:happy:

rainbowflower
May 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
hope you don't mind me asking, is there a study I can read done on low sperm count and swaying? one other study I read hinted that maybe those men with naturally lower sperm counts actually had lower testosterone levels and it was the hormone level that caused the swaying and not the sperm count?

atomic sagebrush
May 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Well, I think it's the other way around, the low testosterone causes the low sperm count. Because there are studies that show all sorts of things that damage sperm (like heat, pesticides, etc) that wouldn't have any affect on a guy's testosterone levels, that cause more daughters to be conceived.

There is no one study done on sperm count and gender ratio that I am aware of, but lots of studies that show things that lower sperm count seem to sway pink (I do remember reading at least one study that said the opposite, that low sperm count didn't affect gender ratio, but that seems to be the way it goes with these studies.)

It kinda depends on who you get the study from, the conclusions that they draw. If a researcher believes strongly in the testosterone factor, they will hint that it's testosterone, but we can't know that just yet. The good news is, it doesn't matter what it is, we know the things that sway pink and we can emulate them regardless of the actual mechanisms at play.

atomic sagebrush
May 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Forget to ask what kind of CoQ10 should I take?? Because this one is only for DH, right?
Or just take L-arginine? We only take one of this i guess? But lots of girls says arginine mess up their cycle so I don't know what to do.:think:

I would take the CoQ10 (and any brand is ok, I would just use the one my DH takes) and then if you're worried about the arginine, just do the gelatin drinks because those have some in it. Not as much, but it may be the best of both worlds.

rainbowflower
May 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Well, I think it's the other way around, the low testosterone causes the low sperm count. Because there are studies that show all sorts of things that damage sperm (like heat, pesticides, etc) that wouldn't have any affect on a guy's testosterone levels, that cause more daughters to be conceived.

There is no one study done on sperm count and gender ratio that I am aware of, but lots of studies that show things that lower sperm count seem to sway pink (I do remember reading at least one study that said the opposite, that low sperm count didn't affect gender ratio, but that seems to be the way it goes with these studies.)

It kinda depends on who you get the study from, the conclusions that they draw. If a researcher believes strongly in the testosterone factor, they will hint that it's testosterone, but we can't know that just yet. The good news is, it doesn't matter what it is, we know the things that sway pink and we can emulate them regardless of the actual mechanisms at play.

I wonder if it's total sperm in there that count. I mean.. how would your body know that sperm count is low? if it was low and you did it multiple times (in the frequent BD option) you might end up having the same amount of total sperm in there as there would be if you just DTD one time without lowering sperm count.

ELP
May 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I wonder if it's total sperm in there that count. I mean.. how would your body know that sperm count is low? if it was low and you did it multiple times (in the frequent BD option) you might end up having the same amount of total sperm in there as there would be if you just DTD one time without lowering sperm count.This is what I'm wondering, is it best to keep grabbing DH as much as possible when you feel its the right time, then it would give more of them a chance to get to the right place. OR is it that high sperm count itself means more quality blue sperm to begin with.

ELP
May 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Flava, did you order those ones?? I ordered some from the link below, I think they are cheaper and they ship to UK for me, now I just have to wait for them to arrive lol:)
http://www.puritan.com/coenzyme-q-10-055

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I wonder if it's total sperm in there that count. I mean.. how would your body know that sperm count is low? if it was low and you did it multiple times (in the frequent BD option) you might end up having the same amount of total sperm in there as there would be if you just DTD one time without lowering sperm count.

Yes, that's exactly what I think - sperm numbers IN the vagina and/or at the egg. I think sperm numbers somehow influence either which sperm make it to the egg first or perhaps what sperm fertilizes the egg. Aside from that, I believe there's still luck involved so you can do everything "right" and then roll over at the last second LOL and your egg tumbles into a cloud of Y's and whoops!! o.O

For the frequent BD, that could be but if a guy's sperm count is low, he may NEED to do more frequent BD to fertilize the egg. Very few sperm manage to survive the harsh conditions of the vagina (even less with swaying) so for each individual BD session, most sperm will die in only a short time anyway. As an illustration, if a guy has a count of 20 million (on the high end of low, so many guys will have less than this number) each time he BD as opposed to 80 million (normal) he could potentially BD 4 times before he even had the numbers to add up to the one shot of 80 million. And in that 20 million, a higher percentage of sperm may die off because there is often less semen ejaculated to protect the sperm, even more if you are doing other swaying techniques. Most of us only have a fertile window of 4-5 days anyway, so frequent BD + low sperm count comes out equal or better than normal sperm count. Plus, a lot of people are doing frequent RELEASE, not frequent BD. I think frequent BD does sway pink and I think it's the best choice for older couples, so I hope no one is deterred from using it because the numbers are still very much on your side.

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM
This is what I'm wondering, is it best to keep grabbing DH as much as possible when you feel its the right time, then it would give more of them a chance to get to the right place. OR is it that high sperm count itself means more quality blue sperm to begin with.

High count does = better quality. I am inclined to think that for guys who have good counts, grabbing them whenever possible would sway blue. But, since a lot of the gals on this site who are swaying blue have many girls, I have to assume that their DH's may not have optimal counts to begin with and so steps must be taken to maximize the numbers, so the 2-4 days abstinence between BD seems the wisest course for blue.

lindi
July 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Does the high amount of seminal fluid play any role at all? I am just curious if the frequent BD would add lots of high pH liquid into the whole equation, or if there are others qualities in a lot of just plain seminal fluid that might affect what's going on. I am thinking of a friend who had a vasectomy and they had a reversal, but her body had gotten used to his seminal fluid- and when it was reversed, the sperm were seen as invaders- longer story, but the point was without ANY sperm count at all, the woman's body was having a response to it.

atomic sagebrush
July 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oh sorry I just spotted this!!!!!

That's very interesting about your friend!

I agree that there might be some quality in semen that could sway (either by raising pH or through some other mechanism) but for now it seems that it's sperm count and not semen that makes the difference.