PDA

View Full Version : What are you most looking forward to about having a daughter?

peonymama
November 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thought this might be a fun poll, or at least a way to explain why we want daughters so much in addition to our sons. :)

Claire33
November 11th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I look forward to having a proper and close mother daughter relationship, something I didn't get myself. I don't care about frilly dresses, ponytails and barbies, I just want to create a good mother-daughter bond.

zibibbogirl
November 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks for starting this thread peonymama. It is an interesting question.

I think I am most looking forward to a feeling of completeness. I love every one of my boys so much, but I wanted one more baby and I feel like this one will be the icing on the cake. She is my fairytale happy ending.

I will no longer have to wonder what it is like to raise a girl and wonder if it is different to raising boys. I will no longer have to wonder how it feels to have a mixed gender family. I will no longer have to look at other families of mixed genders with envy. I will no longer have to wonder what it will be like for my DS's to have a sister or me and my DH to have a DD. I can walk into a baby store and look at the pink things without wondering if I will ever be able to buy them for my DD. I can hear the birth announcements/gender announcements of my friend's babies with genuine happiness, without looking at life through a gender lense. And, I can look forward to having another girl in the house to do girl things with.

I have always hated annoying comments from people about having all boys. I know there will still be comments from strangers that I "got the girl" but I think I will be able to cope with them better.

lisvna
November 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I so totally agree with zibibbogirl. I really hope that I'm the lucky one I can experience that one day......

hotdogz&boyz
November 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I look forward to not only being a "mother-in-law." It sounds like a silly reason, but two of my aunts are currently doing the "mother-in-law" thing...and despite being fabulous ladies who don't meddle and are fun, they still feel left out and "isolated" from their daughter-in-laws. Could be crappy luck and both got rotten deals for daughter-in-laws. But I don't get to pick who my sons love and could end up being "just" the mother-in-law. I desperately want the opportunity to have the mother-daughter thing. Me and my mom are very close and I desire to have a similar relationship with m daughter (if possible). And I just want to know what its like to have a girl. I always thought I would have one and now it seems I am questioning if that will happen.

wildwooddays
November 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Honestly just having a little sister for my boys and have a little variety in the family. I'm not into frilly stuff.

Myloves
November 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
If I listed everything I'm looking forward to experiencing with dd, then I'd be here all day :D

But some of the important things are:

-Having a little girl to love, cherish and adore the way I wasn't growing up. Never was appreciated that much growing up, and neither was my sister. Our brothers were spoiled to death because my family wanted boys. Now that I have my own little girl, I can appreciate her and love her just the way she deserves.
-Watching my Dh interact with DD. My dad was never there for me growing up, and I've always had a hole in my heart where my father's love should have been. Having a DD and watching Dh dote on her fills that empty feeling I used to have.
-Giving my sons a sister. They are so sweet and gentle with her, I just love watching them play with her. My Ds1 used to ask me over and over, 'when am I getting a sister?' before DD was born.
-I rose above any GD. Well, mostly. I'd still love to give DD a sister, but I will never feel the GD I felt with my boys ever again. Never again will I sit and wonder what's it's like to have a dd. She healed me in that aspect.

Clothes, shoes and other cute girly stuff are just bonuses to me. Actually I was pretty tomboy growing up so I don't mind at all if DD turns out to be tomboy :o

Myloves
November 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM
hotdogz&boyz - interesting point. I really dislike my MIL, but she's nothing like your dear aunts (she's bat-shit crazy that even Dh avoids her).
I think if we raise our sons to be loving, kind individuals, then hopefully they will love girls who are also loving. :awe:

Sugaree
November 12th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I look forward to rubbing it in a couple people's faces.

And all of the other lovely things people mentioned of course.

RedCanoe
November 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM

this made me LOL! :)

Regrow
November 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for starting this thread peonymama. It is an interesting question.

I think I am most looking forward to a feeling of completeness. I love every one of my boys so much, but I wanted one more baby and I feel like this one will be the icing on the cake. She is my fairytale happy ending.

I will no longer have to wonder what it is like to raise a girl and wonder if it is different to raising boys. I will no longer have to wonder how it feels to have a mixed gender family. I will no longer have to look at other families of mixed genders with envy. I will no longer have to wonder what it will be like for my DS's to have a sister or me and my DH to have a DD. I can walk into a baby store and look at the pink things without wondering if I will ever be able to buy them for my DD. I can hear the birth announcements/gender announcements of my friend's babies with genuine happiness, without looking at life through a gender lense. And, I can look forward to having another girl in the house to do girl things with.

I have always hated annoying comments from people about having all boys. I know there will still be comments from strangers that I "got the girl" but I think I will be able to cope with them better.

All of those points you raised are exactly how I felt before my DD joined our family. And no the annoying sometimes funny comments don't stop, a friend who I hadn't spoken to in a long long time recently contacted me and I told her we had a DD in February this year. She said "Wow you couldn't have planned it any better, to have a girl after two boys!". Haha if only she knew how much I did plan it ;)

auroara78
November 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Can't believe I never answered this before!

I'm most looking forward to the mother-daughter bond. My mom and I used to be really close, but as she is getting into her 70s now she is dealing with some dementia and what not, and it's so sad, but I really want that bond for Lillian and I. I just want to teach her and share with her all the wonderous things about being a female--a woman, what it means.

I look forward to one day seeing her get married and have a baby of her own; I think it's going to be extra special supporting her through that extradorindary time in a woman's life.

And yes, along the way, I am looking forward to the dresses! Hopefully she'll like dresses like I did when I was growing up, but if she's a tomboy, I'll support that too.

Wanting a daughter
November 29th, 2012, 04:33 AM
The adult friendship that I have with my Mum now. That's the real source of my gender desire. All the cute girly stuff will be lovely but that passes in an instant. The adult friendship is what endures year after year.

I totally get the mother in law thing too. Being a mil to a man rather than a woman. We are too hard to get along with. Lol.

Being the grandma to the mum!! My Mum gets so much more of my boys than my mil does.

Tiggerian
November 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Something different from robots, tractors, airplanes, power ranger, bionicle, Marvel's avengers, transformers, sword fighting and dragons!

Being able to finally buy some of all the cute stuff I see!

Seeing my boys care and protect their sister.

Seeing my OH with his 'little' girl (tbh, the way he protects our female cat from the neighbourhood tomcats I almost fear for any teenage boy entering our home!)

Having the mother-daugther relationship I once had with my mum.

Hopefully, being there when she has her babies (if she wants me to) and support her afterwards.

Planning her wedding! Seeing her in her wedding dress for the first time, walking up the aisle with her dad..

Everything! Just everything!

gallons of milk
December 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Ha ha! So true!