PDA

View Full Version : Fermented Cod Liver Oil

Elements
November 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'v been taking green pastures fermented cod liver oil for about 6 weeks, But im unsure of the saftey of it during pregnancy. The company themselves recommend taking during preg, but it has Vit A and Vit D in it and I have read that Vit A is very bad for pregnancy.

Does anyone take this and know if its okay?

(I Am swaying boy)

BeadinMom
November 12th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure, but I'd definitely be careful...A,D,E &K are all fat based vitamins, so they stay in your system longer.

Atsaukina1
November 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
do you have a midwife or naturpath you could ask that would be more skilled in nutrition than reg. ob? and do they list exactly how much vit a,vit d is in it??

Elements
November 13th, 2012, 12:38 AM
this is from the website

The amount of each nutrient varies from batch to batch. Typical nutrients in this traditional food include:

Vitamin A (approx 35-37%DV per 2 caps)
Vitamin D (approx 90-107%DV per 2 caps)
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
EPA
DHA
Quinones
Ingredients: Fermented Cod Liver Oil, unbleached beeswax (thickener). Capsules: Plant cellulose

atomic sagebrush
November 13th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I personally strongly advise against cod liver oil because of the vit. A. There are other people like the Mercola folks or the Weston Price people who think it's great and safe, I just don't think it is at all worth the risk.

atomic sagebrush
November 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
this is from the website

The amount of each nutrient varies from batch to batch. Typical nutrients in this traditional food include:

Vitamin A (approx 35-37%DV per 2 caps)
Vitamin D (approx 90-107%DV per 2 caps)
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
EPA
DHA
Quinones
Ingredients: Fermented Cod Liver Oil, unbleached beeswax (thickener). Capsules: Plant cellulose

And how much are you taking?? Those certainly aren't megadoses by any means. You have to be in the realm of megadoses before you cause harm with Vit. A

confusedman
November 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
My wife and I have been taking green pastures fclo for about two years, and personally, I think it's great stuff. My wife researched this for a couple of years and plans on doubling the amount once she's pregnant. I brought this question up to her when I read it and she believes it's safe and good for the pregnancy, but of course this is just one opinion, you'll probably want to do your own research and do what you're comfortable with. Good luck :)

PS: we're swaying girl, but I don't know if fclo has any swaying effect... If anything I'd guess it would sway boy because it would provides more nutrients.

Atsaukina1
November 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM
interesting- it seems lots of foods are pretty high in vit a and all veggies/cartenoids are ok
Vitamin A: Are You Getting Too Much? (http://bestnaturalfoods.com/newsletter/vitamin-a-too-much.html)

atomic sagebrush
November 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Vitamin A via foods is fine. It's Vit A thru concentrated supplements that causes potential birth defects.

Study Links Excess Vitamin A and Birth Defects - NYTimes.com (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE0DC103CF934A35753C1A9639582 60&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Organizations/B/Boston%20University) Google Vit A and birth defects, you'll get plenty of hits.

PLEASE be careful, guys. Natural does not mean SAFE. Botulism is 100% natural and can kill you - so is arsenic, ptomaine, strychnine, etc.

Elements
November 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
And how much are you taking?? Those certainly aren't megadoses by any means. You have to be in the realm of megadoses before you cause harm with Vit. A

Im taking 2 or 4 capsules a day. I just ran out today actually

atomic sagebrush
November 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Stick with 2 a day and it's fine.