PDA

View Full Version : 1

Juniebjones
March 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Coccinelle33
March 14th, 2011, 11:38 PM
These cows I get my milk from will be mostly grass-fed this spring/summer too, not corn or a lot of grains.

lol that was funny... i have no idea but that made me laugh.

atomic sagebrush
March 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
It seems to be much the same. If anything it may have more.

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/what_is_in_raw_milk.html

Minerals in Raw Milk:

The mineral content of milk varies with a host of conditions as well. Soil quality, geographical location, species of cow, health of the animal- all these factors and more come into play.

Accesibility to raw milk's mineral content is dependent upon its enzymes and other factors remaining functional. Here are some approximate values for mineral levels in the average quart of raw milk:

Mineral Content per quart (Typical range):

Sodium__330-850mg
Potassium__1040-1600mg
Chloride__850-1040mg
Calcium__1040-1225mg
Magnesium__85-130mg
Phosphorus__850-940mg
Iron__280-570ug
Zinc__1880-5660ug
Copper__95-570ug
Manganese__19-47ug
Iodine __~245ug
Fluoride__28-207ug
Selenium__4.7-63ug
Cobalt__0.47-1.23ug
Chromium__7.5-12.3ug
Molybdenum__17-113ug
Nickel__0-47ug
Silicon__700-6600ug
Vanadium__trace-290ug
Tin__38-470ug
Arsenic__19-57ug

The benefit that I can see for raw milk is that it is not fortified with vitamin D, which may help sway pink by lowering testosterone (Vit. D raises testosterone).

atomic sagebrush
March 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I am so glad you asked about this because this was educational for me!!

The vitamin D is in the fat part of the milk so any milk without the fat (even if that milk is raw) will not have Vit. D, unless it's added back in like it is in 2% and skim. It may very well be better absorbed in raw milk, but without the fat you don't absorb it regardless of source. So if you get full-fat raw milk from grass fed cows, then there is Vit. D in there naturally. If not, if it's skimmed of fat at all, then there isn't. The downside is that fat seems to sway blue so it seems like milk is maybe not the best choice no matter how you slice (or pour) it.

I am highly intrigued about the yogurt/protein though because that could be very very helpful! Thanks for sharing!!

Yeah, def. do give up the D for awhile if you can, like B12 it's stored in the body so you can live without it for awhile.

atomic sagebrush
March 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, but I think you are smart to wait an hour or hours after exercise to eat. That way your body will be low in glucose for that much longer and have to burn fat and yes even muscle for fuel.

lindi
March 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Whey protein known to be super helpful for women with PCOS because of that effect on blood sugar. Also, please make sure your raw milk comes from 100% grass fed cows! No grains at all because cows stomachs are designed for grass, and so they naturally can deal with bacteria that pasteurization would otherwise deal with. The milk from 100% grass fed cows won't transmit salmonella, etc because the cows' body has been able to "clean it". But not so with grain fed cows. It doesn't digest the same and therefore the cows body's defenses don't work the same. That milk is riskier and should be pasteurized unfortunately.

atomic sagebrush
March 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Skim raw milk is better than full fat milk for sure!

Most of the good stuff is in the fat - the vit. D and all the healthy fats that raw milk is supposed to have. The minerals that are left behind are the ones commonly believed to be good for pink. BUT I would still watch my sodium/potassium levels.