PDA

View Full Version : Almond Milk

TTC5
March 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Ok so bought some yesterdat and trying it today.. it seems to have much less calcium than any other form of milk???

LolaInLove
March 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I think it tastes great, too! The kind here in US is about the same amount of calcium but has more nutrients overall, especially vitamin e. It's really good on cereal, and I trick my girls into drinking it by putting a little Ovaltine or something in it, but they like the taste now just as is.

TTC5
March 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe I read the label wrong then, lol?

atomic sagebrush
March 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Not necessarily, the kind you have may not be fortified. It seems to vary by brand.

I just bought some coconut "milk" (not coconut milk but the milk substitute that is made of coconut) and the kind I got "So Delicious Organic" Coconut Milk Beverage only had 10% calcium, so that's better (less calcium) than the info that I listed in my milk essay. I think it's tastier than the almond milk. Plus OMG the saturated fat is amazingly high! (I know sat. fat is not good for health but they are good for raising testosterone!!)

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Well, Atomic, if you were swaying boy, which one would you drink?

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Well, Atomic, if you were swaying boy, which one would you drink? I just read your extended milk essay, thanks for working on that! I'm sticking with regular fat milk and almond milk!

TTC5
March 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I love the almond milk too - not as much as my soy though!!
I am dairy intolerant so no dairy for me.
The brand is Pure Harvest - Organic almond milk original. Does not say if it is fortified or not?
Calcium (mg) 7.5 per 250mls... looking at the dairy I have here for the family it says Calcium 285 mg per 250ml?

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Well, Atomic, if you were swaying boy, which one would you drink?

Full fat cow's milk and coconut milk. Followed by almond but I didn't love the taste of the almond one.

LolaInLove
March 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm going to try the coconut milk, I do love me some coconut. Thanks!

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I love the almond milk too - not as much as my soy though!!
I am dairy intolerant so no dairy for me.
The brand is Pure Harvest - Organic almond milk original. Does not say if it is fortified or not?
Calcium (mg) 7.5 per 250mls... looking at the dairy I have here for the family it says Calcium 285 mg per 250ml?

When they fortify the milk, they are going for similar calcium to what is in reg. dairy, so it seems to me that it is not fortified. Almonds do have some naturally occuring calcium in them so that is prob. where it is coming from.

LolaInLove
March 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I guessed that the almond milk has higher levels of vit e also, but haven't checked the back of the carton!

TTC5
March 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM
When they fortify the milk, they are going for similar calcium to what is in reg. dairy, so it seems to me that it is not fortified. Almonds do have some naturally occuring calcium in them so that is prob. where it is coming from.

Would it be more than 2% per serve do you think if it has 7.5mg per 250ml?

atomic sagebrush
March 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Making me do math first thing in the morning, are you??? :sigh::wink:

Ok, the daily recommended amount of calcium for women 15-40 is 1000 mg, so 1% of that would be 10 mg calcium.

7.5 mg per 250 mL would be less than 1% of your day's total.

This also fits in with the recommendations for a boy-friendly diet, keeping calcium intake 250-400 mg a day.

TTC5
March 20th, 2011, 04:58 PM
LOL LOL yes I am :P

Thanks for that!!!!!! xoxoxox