PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Uses/Tried a Ovulation Watch?

ButterflyMama
March 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hi All, I have came across a item I never knew about... a Ovulation Watch, it is meant to read you by sweat.. you wear it throughout your cycle & it is meant to let you know 4 days before Ovulation is about to happen, think i read 66% more pregnancies happen with this watch then OPKs... so would like to know if anyone used one & had success?? As this sounds perfect for swaying esp for girls.. as we DTD 4-3 days before O if you're timing DTD.

atomic sagebrush
March 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
These are actually good because they pick up on subtle variations in electrolytes on your skin that OPK's don't so you really can tell when you're going to O.

http://www.ovwatch.com/
Very good graphic found here: http://www.ovwatch.org/

You can order the OV watch with free shipping from the ovwatch.ORG link above. Not the .com site.

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Did you see how you have to buy a $40 sensor for it for each cycle? That is pretty expensive, but looks like a good way to track.

atomic sagebrush
March 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Yes, I just found that info out and I also read a few bad reviews that made me think maybe it's not such a good idea - some people are having issues with the watch not reading because they're not sweating enough.

There are other ovulation detectors out there that might be a better choice, like the Ovacue.

mkarntz1980
March 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
what about the clearblue easy fertility monitor?? they also have that ovacue but that thing is like $350!

LolaInLove
March 17th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I was wondering about the sweat factor, too....like, do you have to strap that thing on so tight that it would trap any moisture you make at all? Anyway, being that you have to pay for the monthly sensor, if it were me, I'd just spring for one of the other monitors, either the CBE or the Ovacue....but I am an ic gal myself....$10 a month is more like my budget. I'd love to try the Ovacue with the vj sensor though.

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
what about the clearblue easy fertility monitor?? they also have that ovacue but that thing is like $350!

Let me ask around - I've never used any of them so i don't know.

atomic sagebrush
March 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Here is the scoop from Jojogirl who has a lot of experience with such things...

Clearblue measures LH in the urine. Ovacue measures the electrolytes that are found in saliva and vaginal secretions. (The electrolytes are better and can tell you earlier when you might O, 5-7 days earlier) Blood tests are most sensitive but Ovacue/cue is the next best thing. Clearblue would be the 3rd choice.

The reason you can get a 5-7 day warning with an ovacue is because a week before ovulation, your electrolytes will spike in the saliva and drop in the vagina, if you use the vaginal sensor. (see the graphic in the OV Watch.org webpage because it shows this better than I can explain.) This spike of electrolytes allows you to know that you will be close to ovulating within the week. Clearblue tells you a few days in advance too...but nothing like the ovacue (because it is checking for the LH surge and not the electrolytes, which show up earlier). The benefit is knowing ahead of time to plan your attempt.

AnnaG1
March 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Nooo Do Not Buy- ovulation watch---- terribly inaccurate and completley conflicting with my OPKs. And the Ovacue stinks too- GET THE CLEARBLUE FERTILITY MONITOR. I had them all and was neurotic with all of them

atomic sagebrush
March 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you Anna! May I ask what exactly you liked better over the Clearblue? Was it easier to use??

I never used any fertility monitors so I don't know, and greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experiences!

AnnaG1
March 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I used to joke with DH saying he should wear the OV watch so it would tell him when hes ovulating- thats how inaccurate it is. I bought it and used it hoping it would time my cut-off - However when used in conjunction with OPKs it was completely off - and I trust the OPKs. It really simply works by you setting your cycle dates- you have a 28 day cycle for example, it will give you Fertile Day 1 on cycle on cycle day 10 , fertile day 2 on cyle day 11 .. and so on and then Ovulation Day on cycle day 14. So whatever you enter as your cycle ...say 30 days it will just give you Ovulation Day of 16. This has been my experience with it. I think they figure if you have sex any of those days it will work- but for those using it to time intercourse- Beware!!!

Ovacue- Used the saliva one and the vaginal- Bought to time intercourse. Again super inaccurate when used with OPKs. The "peak" would be way off.
The Clear Blue is very easy - not too expensive- although you do have to keep buying the sticks and always right. Can be used for those wishing to time intercourse. This is by far the best monitor and I highly recommend.

familiesr4ever
March 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have used the clearblue fertility monitor on and off since 2004, my ob recommended trying it, because we were having a hard time conceiving our third child. Anyway, it (along with the clomid) seemed to help and we conceived after only a few months using the monitor. When we tried for a fourth, it still helped us target our ovulation and it does give you a few peak days before the highest peak day, so in theory it is okay for trying for a girl.(we did conceive a dd for our third child, our other children are boys) Anyway, I have a friend and she bought and tried the ov watch and she had the same complaint as Anna, it really doesn't help and she usually ovulates late in her cycle too, so the watch was always off for her. Anyway, that's just my two cents. GL

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Thank you guys so very much! This is invaluable info!! I will sticky a thread with a link to this in it.

PS - welcome and congrats familiesr4ever!!

purplepoet20
April 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have found that the Ovacue can have mixed results if done wrong... I used it for last months (mouth 5am and vag 7pm) and I continued tested after O to see if I can mess up the results. Mouth - if you move your tounge around in your mouth it removes some of the layer of saliva that has been rested in your mouth all night, test for is about 100. If I test right away without the tounge wiggle it is lower or much higher and the results are never close to the same. Vag - If it is not in the right spot it can read high, must remember to pull back 1/2 an inch. Best to lay down on the bed. I found my Ovacue's first months results to be correct with an OPK. I also was able to figure out that the fever, dizziness, and cramps were my bodies O signals.

I just started my 2nd month of test this morning.

atomic sagebrush
April 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you that is great info!!