PDA

View Full Version : IVF Mistake prevention

Dreaming
March 17th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Carole, the embryologist that replies to posts here on genderdreaming posted an interesting link to her blog regarding IVF Lab Mistakes. At the end of the blog she recommends questions you should ask your RE. I was hoping you would respond to the questions she recommends asking? How many embryologists do you have that work on IVF cases? What happens if one of them gets sick? How are techs covered when one of them is sick? What protocols do you have in place to prevent lab mix-ups? Thanks Dr P!

RedCanoe
March 31st, 2011, 02:08 PM
bump, I want to know too :)

Dr. Potter
April 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Carole, the embryologist that replies to posts here on genderdreaming posted an interesting link to her blog regarding IVF Lab Mistakes. At the end of the blog she recommends questions you should ask your RE. I was hoping you would respond to the questions she recommends asking? How many embryologists do you have that work on IVF cases? What happens if one of them gets sick? How are techs covered when one of them is sick? What protocols do you have in place to prevent lab mix-ups? Thanks Dr P!

In Orange County we have 3 embryologists that work on IVF cases. There are 2 senior embryologists and one assistant embryologist. Usually all three embryologists are on hand. No matter what, there is at least one senior embryologist on the premises each day and a senior embryologist available to perform all ICSI and PGD. All specimens are identified and matched by at least two embryologists. All specimens are handled much like crime screen evidence with a chain of custody being established. All cases have a unique number which is matched. All cases have their own incubator **** which is labeled with their name. All culture dishes have the patients’ name etched into the bottom of them. Additionally, with GSN, you have the additional step of have the embryos matched to the parents DNA.
I hope that this helps.