PDA

View Full Version : What are the best insurance carriers to have if you hope to have some of IVF costs covered?

serafina
November 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Or are there no carriers who will cover services with no diagnosis of infertility?

alreadyneedivf
November 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Depends on each specific plan, but from my experience, Blue Cross Blue Shield is better than Aetna or Oxford because you do not have to jump through hoops to get coverage. For aetna and oxford, they will only give ivf coverage if you have done 4 iuis which is not good for gender selection purposes.

serafina
November 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thank you :). We have BCBS right now but it is open season so I could change. How do I go about researching plans? Do I need to call?

nuthinbutpink
November 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Call HRC and speak with finance!

serafina
November 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Would they talk to me if I am not a client?

Does HRC refer to both the Laguna and Newport branches?

nuthinbutpink
November 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Dr Potter is in Newport now I think but it will totally depend on YOUR plan as to what is covered. So, you would have to have the plan specific information in order for them to check. BCBS coverage can and does vary from one employer to another. Benefits vary. They can check your current provider for coverage easily with your information. You can also call your insurance carrier and ask them if you would be covered going there.

alreadyneedivf
November 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
yes call insurance coverage and HRC! They checked my insurance (and so did SIRM) prior to me being a patient. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions on where to look!

serafina
November 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you both! I will do that once I get up the nerve :). I'm such a chicken haha.

Dr. Potter
December 5th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Or are there no carriers who will cover services with no diagnosis of infertility?
All carriers offer IVF coverage! It depends on whether your employer purchases the rider that covers IVF. In mandated states, they are required to do so. In non-madated states like California, the employer is not required to do so and therefore very few of them do. It is interesting to note that companies based in mandated states (i.e Fidelity) cover IVF even for employees working in non-mandated states. It would be interesting to hear which employers are available in this roll across the country. So picking your employer or your state of residence may be more important than choosing your insurance company