PDA

View Full Version : My 4 year old son refuses to give up his baby beaker, NEED HELP!!

Kpeanuts
March 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi all
My 4 year old DS will only drink water (not complaining about that!) but will ONLY drink it from a baby beaker (like the baby ones with 2 hole spout and handles, only this is without the handles). A year ago I took it away and gave him FIVE different beakers to choose from (ranging from a small cup, pop up bottle to straw) and for 3 days he didn't drink a single drop, so I had to give his old one back.
As he starts school in Sept I'm VERY keen to get rid of this now. Its been suggested to get the Easter Bunny to take it away and give lots of gifts and new beakers/cups in its place, which I'm keen to try. BUT what if he doesn't drink for days on end again - what do I do then?? If I give in, I don't think we'll ever get over it, but if I don't he could become ill?
I believe the problem stemmed from preschool where he tried a cup and dropped the whole lot down himself, got hysterical apparently that he was cold & wet, and hasn't tried it since. I've tried reward charts, offering to help him, bribery etc, nothing works.
ANY help would be much appreciated. So sorry for the long essay!
Thanks xx

nuthinbutpink
March 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
What if you let him pick something else to drink other than water if he will drink from a cup? Maybe that will help?

Yuzu
March 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe you could try a bendy or twisty straw? Or let him choose a special cup feom the store; something with a cute shape? I have a little plastic cup that looks like an alligator that kids would love!

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I had a similar problem where DS 3 wouldn't drink out of a cup at all and I was trying to wean him from breastfeeding. This sounds terrible but I gave him unlimited popsicles to keep his fluid intake up and put pop in the cup (he had drunk a taste of pop before with a straw and liked it) and within a day or two he was drinking out of a cup nicely. He still won't drink much milk or water, only juice, but at least he is drinking SOMETHING.

LolaInLove
March 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Take him shopping to the baby superstore or wherever they have a big selection of those big kid cups and make a big deal out of letting him pick his new "big boy" cups, etc....and then do what Atomic did and put whatever in it, just stick to your guns. I like the Easter Bunny idea, too. Lots of pacifier users give them to the various fairies and such in childhood and have them take them to "new babies that really need them" or something like that. Good luck, I know this stuff is nerve-wracking!!!!

Kpeanuts
March 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. I have tried twisty straws, and have also taken him along the 'cups' aisles in various shops, and each time he goes straight to the baby beaker (the one with handles - argghh!). I've tried to get him to suck popsicles, refused the orange ones, even refused the plain water ones. He refuses to try any other fluid other than water (won't even drink milk, have to disguise it in weetabix to get any in him). On the odd occasion I've sneaked a drop of orange squash into his beaker, he's frowned at the colour and refused to try it. BOY do I have a strong willed 4 year old! I think the only option is for the Easter Bunny to take it, and then do all of the above again. BUT I have a feeling he will go straight to the same beaker in the shop :-( Thank you all for your suggestions - those methods are all great, but my strongwilled fussy boy won't listen!

shouldihope?
March 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Pick out a few you want him to choose from and say he can only choose from those because that is what other kids will be taking to school??? Maybe use peer pressure to your advantage!

Wanting a daughter
March 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Try cutting to top off it and tell him it's broken. Not sure if it will work but that's what I did with my son's dummy (pacifier) and he quite easily gave them up. I didn't think he would fall for it as he was VERY attached to them. I just cut all the tops off then made this big act of looking confused and saying "oh no, they're all broken. I wonder how that happened" He still tried to suck on the tiny tip that was left but ended up just holding them that night then the next morning we threw them in the bin together. It worked a treat.
Good luck