PDA

View Full Version : Never get a +ve OPK, please help!

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, slowly getting the hang of everything. I've been charting for 3 cycles now. I'm 27, have polycystic ovaries and no other signs of PCOS. My cycles range from 28-35 days. I usually get O symptoms like O pains, change in BBT, CM BUT I have never gotten a +ve on my OPK. Last cycle I also got a 21 day progesterone level and according to my Dr, I ovulated...but still I never had a +ve on my home OPK!!! I use the CB smiley face ones. I also check from CD 11- CD 21, about 3-4 times a day starting at 1 PM to 11 PM and I make sure not to drink a lot of water prior to. So, therefore I can never predict my coming O date on the OPK. Does anyone know why is it so? I'm really frustrated. I was taking it light in the past 3 cycles but I really want to try harder to conceive in the next month. Please help! :(

The Anchor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I feel your pain! I have had one positive OPK out of about 200. I have tried every type, ICs, blue lines, red lines, smiley faces - and nothing. I have had slightly more success with the microscope, but it's still confusing.

Are you using FMU? I've heard it's better to test in the afternoon...

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Ohh I'm so glad I'm not the only one! No, I'm not using FMU. I start at about 1 PM and do it till 11 PM. Did you ever find out why is it so? Do you have other signs like O pains, CM, BBT, progesterone level to confirm O or are you only using OPK?

The Anchor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
I usually have O pains, pretty consistent CM patterns and I'm on and off with temping. I think I'm having an extra weird cycle this month, I had a m/c in October and I'm pretty sure that screwed me up.

To be honest, I'm not really sure why you're supposed to do OPKs in the afternoon...

The Anchor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Oh I wanted to post this link:

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion-ttc-boy-girl-home-swaying-info/1723-getting-started-opks.html

There's an article that says you def can O without getting a +OPK

The Anchor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Pulled this from one of the articles:

"Should I use first morning urine (FMU) with OPK's? No. LH is synthesized early in the day, and is not metabolized into your urine until later. So, as a rule, you are more likely to catch your surge later in the day. ("They" say you should test sometime around 2-4 p.m., but I've had fine luck at 10 p.m.-midnight.) Using FMU may not be a problem for you, but if you do not detect a surge during the cycle you use FMU, try testing later during the next cycle.

Note: the Clearblue Fertility Monitor is the exception. The FM Monitor does require FMU."

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Oh thank you so much. But from "why is it so", I meant why don't we ever get a +ve when we have other signs :) I always checked later in afternoon/evening/night but never get that darn smiley face which I'm so eager to see!

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
And I'm sorry to hear about your m/c....hopefully you get your BFP soon and get a sticky bean :)

The Anchor
November 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Oh thank you so much. But from "why is it so", I meant why don't we ever get a +ve when we have other signs :) I always checked later in afternoon/evening/night but never get that darn smiley face which I'm so eager to see!

One of the articles says that some women simply don't get them...which means the LH doesn't show up at sufficient levels to be detected as a +OPK. Maybe that's us!

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hmmm that probably is us!

Wanting-a-girl
November 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
I was testing all this month and only neg I did get a faint line on cycle day 9 which I know is a neg
I have other signs of ov so I'm pretty sure I am... Very frustrating tho lol
I think I'm officially in tww now tried a couple more days then my suspected o day

Good luck ladies :)

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Its probably something you need to speak to your Dr about. Maybe you would be a good candidate for clomid.

hopeful0913
November 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Its probably something you need to speak to your Dr about. Maybe you would be a good candidate for clomid.

I've already talked to her. She refused to put me on clomid because I ovulate by myself. She said my tests were fine and progesterone level was good on day 21 so she said she'd wait for another 8-9 months before going further.

Cinss
November 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I've already talked to her. She refused to put me on clomid because I ovulate by myself. She said my tests were fine and progesterone level was good on day 21 so she said she'd wait for another 8-9 months before going further.

oh bummer, looks like you will just have to keep trying then, dont worry too much about the opks then, maybe you have such a short surge you miss it, or its just too low for the tests you use. You could look at the saliva microscope.

Hello2003
November 23rd, 2012, 02:33 AM
Maybe your just getting your surge after bedtime hours and ovulate soon after. You can ovulate as early as 5/6 hours after surge.

Pearl327
November 23rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hopeful I was having trouble getting a +OPK too. Like you I was testing in the afternoon and evening and all the other signs were indicating that I was ovulating. The month I got my BFP I started using the clear blue smilie face ones and I took them as the packet recommended. 1st thing in the morning. I know this is not recommended by most OPK's but it is by the clear blue one and it finally got me my smilie face and BFP

hopeful0913
November 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Pearl, thanks for letting me know. I've actually never tested FMU, will try it next time. Hopefully, I get to see that smiley face! :)

black&gold
February 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I know this is way late, but the last two cycles I wasn't getting + until I started testing with FMU and I got 2. I got tipped off when I had a half positive (the bottom half of the line was positive, top have was faded) around 11am. The next morning I used FMU and it was +. I've always used 11am, and around 4pm and then around 8pm and never got a positive. From now on I'll be including FMU in my tests