PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation Translation!

atomic sagebrush
March 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
If you are a newer member and you feel like you suddenly landed in a vat of alphabet soup, this thread may help you! (Thanks to my old friend Maureen for compiling the original list that this is based on.)

:cheerteam:FAMILY

DH – Dear husband or darling husband

DP, SO Dancing Partner or Significant Other . Usually means unmarried partner.

DD, DS = Darling Daughter or Son

DSD or DSD = Darling Stepdaughter or Stepson

DN = Niece or nephew

MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL = The in-laws: mother, father, brother, sister

SAHM, SAHD = Stay at home mom or dad

WAHM, WAHD = work at home mom or dad

LO - little ones

FOAF - Friend of a friend - meaning you heard a story about someone somewhere but it's not someone you actually know firsthand.

:cheerteam: SEX AND CONCEPTION

TTC = Trying to conceive (trying to get pregnant)

BD = Baby Dancing (sex to get pregnant)

DTD = Did The Deed or Doing The Dance (had sex, either to get pregnant or just for recreational purposes)

Pg = Pregnant

BC, BCP = Birth control, Birth control pill

TPFS - Three Primary Fertility Signs - http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1642-Tracking-the-three-primary-fertility-signs-(BBT-cervical-position-and-CM)

HT - High Tech

MS - Microsort OR Morning Sickness

IVF/PGD - InVitro Fertilization and Preimplantation genetic diagnosis

OHW - One Hit Wonder - someone who gets pregnant their first round of high tech or first month swaying

:cheerteam:Monthly Cycle and Gross Bodily Functions

VJJ - Vajayjay or vagina

O = Ovulation or orgasm (orgasm is usually “big O”) You typically can tell from context which O is the O in question.

O + or - = ovulation plus (after) or minus (before) a certain number of days

AF = Aunt Flo (“flow”) = menstruation, getting your period

CD = cycle day. The day you start your period is cycle day 1.

CD plus a number = the day of your cycle you are on.

CB = Cycle Buddy. Person in the same part of cycle as yourself.

DPO = Days Past Ovulation

DBO - Days Before Ovulation

CM or CF = cervical mucus or cervical fluid, the fluid that normally comes out of the vagina during the fertile part of your cycle

EWCM = Egg White Cervical Mucus. The most fertile CM; clear and slippery like egg white.

CP = cervical position

SHOW - Soft, high, open, and wet - describes your cervix at ovulation.

BBT = Basal Body Temperature. Method for detecting ovulation.

OPK = Ovulation Prediction Kit (pos is positive, neg is negative)

POAS = Pee on a stick (to test for pregnancy or ovulation)

TCOYF = Taking Charge of Your Fertility book

FF - Fertility Friends - a website where you can chart your cycle

SMEP = Sperm Meets Egg Plan Sperm Meets Egg Plan (http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm)

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a site where you can chart your diet and nutrition info

BM - bowel movement

:cheerteam: Pregnancy Testing

2WW = Two week wait. After trying to get pregnant, waiting to test.

HPT = Home Pregnancy Test

BFP = Big Fat Positive (positive pregnancy test)

BFN = Big Fat Negative (negative pregnancy test)

hCG = Human chorionic gonodotropin. Substance detected by pregnancy tests.

Beta = blood test for pregnancy

FMU - First morning urine...when you take an early pregnancy test you should always use your first morning urine because it's more concentrated.

POAS - Pee on a stick (take a pregnancy test)

PUPO - Pregnant until proven otherwise...you haven't gotten a BFP or a BFN, but until you do, you're not doing anything that might jeopardize a potential pregnancy.

:cheerteam: Pregnancy and Nursing

EDD = Estimated Due Date

U/S = Ultrasound

CVS = Chorionic Villae Sampling. Test during pregnancy to check baby’s chromosomes; also determines sex.

BF = Breast feeding

BB = boobies (breasts)

MC or m/c = Miscarriage

:cheerteam: Expressions

24-7 - doing something 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

KWIM = Know what I mean?

IYKYWIM - I know you know what I mean - when you're talking to someone you know has experienced the same situation

BTW = By the way

IRL = In Real Life

FWIW - For what it's worth

OMG - Oh my Gosh!

GD = Gender Disappointment OR Gender Dreaming website!

PP = Previous poster. Someone who commented earlier on the current thread and I can't remember their username right now.

OP - Original poster. The person who started the thread.

GMTA = Great minds think alike

H&H = Happy and healthy (usually used to wish someone success in pregnancy)

HTH = Hope that helps!

ITA = I totally agree

IMHO = In my humble opinion (or IMO in my opinion)

LOL = Laughing out loud

ROFL = Rolling on floor laughing

LMAO = Laughing my ass off!

TTFN = Ta ta for now

AFAIK = As far as I know

BTDT = Been there, done that

DHAC = Don’t have a clue

FWIW = For what it’s worth

OT = Off Topic

IK,R - I know, right??

PITA = Pain in the ass

GL - Good Luck

KUP - Keep us posted!

TY and TIA - Thank you and Thanks in advance

KFX, FX and TX - Keeping fingers crossed, fingers crossed, and toes crossed

WTH or WTF - What the heck or what the F...

FML - F... my life, a statement of intense frustration

P and PT - prayers and positive thoughts

FB - Facebook

:cheerteam:Swaying

TBM = “Turkey Baster Method” = self insemination

O+12 = 12 hours after ovulation

RE = Reproductive endocrinologist. Certification for fertility doctor. Not all fertility doctors are RE's.

J&D - Jump and Dump

MSU = Modified Swim-Up - an at home high tech method that we don't do on this site but I can answer basic questions and help you find someone who does.

EGS - Extreme gender swaying - at home high tech, we don't do that on this site but I can answer basic questions and help you find someone who does

BS - Baking soda

BSD = Baking Soda Drink or Douche

BSF = Baking Soda Finger

ASG - Alka-Selzer Gold

COT - Cream of Tartar (drink for blue swayers)

ACV - Apple Cider Vinegar

V-8 - This means V-8 juice which you may or may not have in your country. It's tomato juice with other vegetable juices mixed in and is great for conceiving boys.

High or low T - high or low testosterone. Also raise or lower T. T is testosterone levels. (note - HT means "high tech")

BGL - Blood glucose levels (I need to start using this one more!!) or blood sugar (BS).

NYF and BY - Nutritional Yeast Flakes and Brewer's yeast.

Prog Cream - progesterone cream

UHT milk - shelf-stable milk that does not need refrigeration

FGD - French Gender Diet

IGD - InGender Diet

EOD - every other day (having sex every other day)

:cheerteam:MINERALS, HERBS, and VITAMINS

Supps - supplements, generic term for all the pills you're popping

AF-O, O-AF - Some supplements should only be taken from menstruation (AF) through ovulation (O) because they are not safe for a potential conception. Other things are started after ovulation and stopped at menstruation.

EPO - Evening primrose oil

SP - Saw Palmetto

TT - tribulus terrestris

FUR - False Unicorn Root

CLO and FO - Cod liver oil and fish oil

Soy Iso - Soy isoflavones

RL and RLT - Raspberry Leaf, Raspberry Leaf Tea

PT - Peppermint Tea
Ca - Calcium
Na - Sodium
K - potassium
Mg - Magnesium

atomic sagebrush
March 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
What else am I missing here guys???

skrimpy
March 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
CLO for cod liver oil, FO for Fish oil - though usually that one is written out. Also, not an acronym but I have noticed that most of us use "Supp" or "supps" to abbreviate for supplements! Wouldn't want that to get confused with a suppository :rofl: okay so maybe I'm the only one who thinks like that :p

atomic sagebrush
March 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you! I added those!

Out of the Blue
March 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks so much for compiling these abbreviations...While I know a lot of these, there are still many I don't know.

atomic sagebrush
March 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Are there any that I have forgotten?? Let me know!

Yuzu
March 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM
The only one Ican think of right now is LO (little one). Great list!

Hobbermittens
April 9th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Glad I found this list! :)

kaseybaby
April 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
What does HT mean?

atomic sagebrush
April 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM
High tech.

lindi
April 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
high T = high testosterone. would take one to read this list and come up with that :)

CeeCee
April 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
thank you, this was very helpful.

atomic sagebrush
April 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
high T = high testosterone. would take one to read this list and come up with that :)

Hahahaha that made my morning lindi! Thank you so much!!!

Flava
April 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I always use IKR = I know , right??

atomic sagebrush
April 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I like that one and I will add it!

Yuzu
April 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Oh, I thought of another one--FET (frozen embryo transfer).

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Well - there are a LOT of HT abbreviations so I actually focused only on the ones I thought we would be using here in the swaying section because that is a pretty substantial list!

Do you guys want me to include HT translations??

Zivic-Bubac
June 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
What is HRC?

jane
June 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
thankyou so much for this info, very much needed as i struggle to understand what everyones talking about!:bigsmile:

atomic sagebrush
June 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
What is HRC?

HRC is Huntington Reproductive Center, home of Dr. Potter, where many of the high-tech ladies cycle.

http://www.havingbabies.com/about-hrc/staff/daniel-a-potter/

Zivic-Bubac
June 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
HRC is Huntington Reproductive Center, home of Dr. Potter Thanks Atomic! I thought it was smthg like Human Reproductive C??? or High Risk but again what with C???? :p

Here is one I like: KUP - keep us posted

gizmo77
August 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM
whats OHW?

zanacal
August 26th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I think it's One Hit Wonder!

atomic sagebrush
August 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, one hit wonder - usu. someone who gets pg from their first round of high tech, but also is sometimes used as a person who gets pg their first month swaying.

The Anchor
June 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Can someone tell me what SMOG stands for? I keep seeing the thread "UK SMOG wannabes"...

myGirl
June 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Can someone tell me what SMOG stands for? I keep seeing the thread "UK SMOG wannabes"...

Omg I've been wondering this too! It has to do with wanting a girl...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
June 8th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not totally sure on that one. Those gals are from a different site originally, that went under and then they moved over here. It's a support group I think primarily for Brits who want girls. I ~think~ it means "Smug Mums of Girls" wannabes.

Lilpumpkin06
June 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
What does ETA mean?

BeadinMom
June 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Edited to add :)

BeadinMom
June 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Or estimated time of arrival

Lilpumpkin06
June 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Thank you!!!

xHopeFaithLove
July 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
What is FSH?

BeadinMom
July 6th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Follicle stimulating hormone.

atomic sagebrush
July 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Follicle stimulating hormone.

:agree: it's the hormone that causes your ovaries to grow eggos.

xHopeFaithLove
July 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Thank you :)

Dreamofpink
September 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm not totally sure on that one. Those gals are from a different site originally, that went under and then they moved over here. It's a support group I think primarily for Brits who want girls. I ~think~ it means "Smug Mums of Girls" wannabes.

Yep, you're right Atomic. I used to follow that thread last year whilst on the IG diet and then around the beginning of this year the website disappeared. I'm just annoyed with myself for taking so long to find your website! I gave up on reading up on swaying and thought I'd just stick with what I ~thought~ I knew about it from IG. I'm so glad now that I haven't conceived yet as at least I can give the LE diet a go!

The Anchor
September 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Yep, you're right Atomic. I used to follow that thread last year whilst on the IG diet and then around the beginning of this year the website disappeared. I'm just annoyed with myself for taking so long to find your website! I gave up on reading up on swaying and thought I'd just stick with what I ~thought~ I knew about it from IG. I'm so glad now that I haven't conceived yet as at least I can give the LE diet a go!

I just wanted to say...GAWD your kids are cute!

Dreamofpink
September 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thank you very much, Anchor! :-)

atomic sagebrush
September 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I'm glad you found us too, Dream!!! NO ONE should ever sway for a year without getting pg. :(

Tiggerian
October 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
What's KY?

atomic sagebrush
October 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
What's KY?

KY Jelly - it's a lube for intercourse we have in the States that is hostile to sperm and may sway pink.

Tammy123
November 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hi - Whats OWT?

atomic sagebrush
November 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM
old wives tales :)

Atsaukina1
November 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
SMEP?? saw thread about it and googled it but still don't know what it stands for lol and thought others might like to know:)

atomic sagebrush
November 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
SMEP - Sperm Meets Egg plan aka Deanna's Plan - found here: Sperm Meets Egg Plan (http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm)

Satox3
November 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the info and work put into these lists! Newbies like me really appreciate it! I was wondering though, what is SEM? I came up with many ideas.. Lol "sperm ejecting maneuver" was probably my favorite idea. But what does it really stad for and what does it
entail?

NM. I have found it... Set. Thank you again!

atomic sagebrush
November 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM
semen emitting technique (same diff LOL) and for anyone else who wants to read about it, it's here http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ttc-girl-best-practices/1137-jump-dump-semen-emitting-technique.html

Beanie
November 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hello, I'm a newbie and have been searching for an abbreviations list for ages..... thank you - V helpful! ...I see you asked if anyone wanted a HT abbreviations list...yes please! Trying hard to follow some conversations but missing out on loads because I'm guessing....... and obviously want to gain as much info as poss! Thank you. Love this site x

atomic sagebrush
November 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Let me ask around - I think they prob have one.

sunnygirl
March 14th, 2013, 05:07 AM
What is FRER?

Cinss
March 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM
First Response Early Response (pregnancy test)

Mocha_sw
September 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks Atomic, u really helps me a lot. I am so blur just now..haha

Mocha_sw
September 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
BTW, what is IUI?

Rno
December 5th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I want to know what is IUI too!

dloui128
December 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I want to know what is IUI too!

intrauterine insemination

SeaMaiden86
January 16th, 2014, 06:30 PM
*Soaking up some more knowledge* Thanks, I so needed this! :owl::bigsmile:

Mulberry Smurf
January 21st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned but what does cfr mean? Thanks in advance xx

atomic sagebrush
January 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM
compressed frequent release and you can read about that here http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/5636-frequency-bd-pink-blue.html

Mulberry Smurf
January 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks atomic :) does age have a bearing on gender? I was very interested In Your essay on testosterone and its impact on gender. My husband has OCD I wonder whether it can impact on how many xx and xy sperm is made?? Xx

atomic sagebrush
January 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
yes we believe that as we age, we are a bit more likely to conceive girls but it's only just a bit and nothing we can rely upon. Certainly not till late 30's-early 40's does it even come into play anyway.

Whatever swaying does, it does NOT alter the amount of X to Y sperm a man can make. THere's a full explanation of it here http://genderdreaming.com/forum/sperm-qualities/552-guess-what-men-make-50-50-x-y-sperm.html

oncue
February 14th, 2014, 09:35 AM
SMEP? i had a look and cldnt find what it stands for? sorry!

atomic sagebrush
February 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
sperm meets egg plan Sperm Meets Egg Plan (http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm)

Wishing-well
October 15th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I am so thankful for this list, thank you so much for taking the time:curtsey:

Nann3r
June 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
what does EOD mean??

TaytumJ
June 22nd, 2015, 09:36 PM
what does EOD mean??

Every other day. [emoji4]

atomic sagebrush
June 24th, 2015, 02:55 PM
...which means unprotected sex every other day.

I just got a q that had some confusion as to whether I ever wanted any husbands to RELEASE every other day on their own. I DON'T. It may deplete sperm count more than the regular release every 2-4 days, so it gains you NOTHING for a blue sway or upping odds of conception, and at the same time it is not enough release to sway pink either so it's kind of the worst of all worlds. Does not up odds of conception, may be too pink for blue sways and too blue for pink ones.

If you want to do EOD (for a blue sway, don't do it for pink) it has to be unprotected sex every other day. NOT RELEASE

Nann3r
June 24th, 2015, 10:29 PM
what do you mean by release? In regards to unprotected sex. I mean I know what release means.. So ur encouraging unprotected sex EOD without DH finishing inside?? Sorry I'm a newbie here!

atomic sagebrush
June 25th, 2015, 02:11 PM
It's a complex thing to explain and it's probably easiest if everyone just does what I tell them to do LOL but I'll try to fill in the blanks...it is a combination of swaying, trying to keep timing for people who want it, and also guarding against husbands being unable to perform when the fertile window is open.

Release means husband takes care of his own business or with you, with a condom. He ejaculates, either inside or not inside. Regular release every 2-4 days (no matter where or how this occurs) helps increase sperm count and quality as much as it is possible to improve it. Release every other day, is also great for quality but may make for slightly fewer sperm per batch.

Regular exposure to the hormones in your partner's semen may sway blue. Since timing does not sway, those of us who no longer believe in it (because we got so many opposites with it, usually) are often open to trying a different type of pattern even if it means we have Shettles pink timing, and one of the things we are using to good effect is having unprotected sex regularly even when you're not fertile. Some people do believe in timing and they don't want to do that, which is also fine (and they should stick to the 3 attempts at pos OPK method after having husband release on his own every 2-4 days.)

Many of us who have lots of boys got them by BD every other day, that's just the way we tend to BD on average. Then when we were actively TTC we'd have an additional couple of attempts around O. This is very much similar to the pattern I tend to advocate for blue swayers (BD every 2-4 days plus 3 attempts around pos OPK) The reason I am not necessarily advocating EOD BD for blue swayers (even though many of us with all boys, got boys that way) is the problem is that blue swayers' husbands sometimes run out of steam with EOD and cannot continue thru O. THis is the worst case scenario because it is very possible to have one of the EOD rounds fall on O-2 and then hubby can't manage to BD again until after ovulation, leaving you with one attempt in the fertile window and Shettles timing to boot!!! So it's bad for the 3 attempts and it's bad for timing, everyone's unhappy. :)

Long story short do this: Have hubby release every 2-4 days either unprotected with you if you're not a timing believer, OR on his own or with a condom if you do believe in SHettles timing. Then go for 3 attempts at positive OPK.

not that: Don't have hubby release every other day and then try for the 3 attempts at pos OPK. If you MUST do EOD be sure it's inside and even then it feels like a big gamble to me because he can run out of steam leaving you "stranded" with one attempt in fertile window.

The only exception is the handful of people whose husbands can really go that often and do regularly. In my experience about 95% of blue swayers' husband's can't do it and it is just really, really a big risk to take.

Nann3r
June 26th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Okay it all totally makes sense now.. I don't know for certain obviously, but I think my husband would be thrilled to do the deed three times in a 12 hour window!!!! Lol at only 24 years old he pretty much likes to BD any opportunity that we get:) but again who knows! I'll do whatever it take tho to increase my odds of course and thankfully DH is totally on board. Thank you so much for the clarification Atomic!

atomic sagebrush
June 26th, 2015, 02:25 PM
AT 24 you can assume the rules will be different for you guys than for someone whose husband is 44 or even 54, we have several hubbies in that age range and thus my concerns!!! :)

Nann3r
June 26th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Absolutely and I'm glad you take the time to explain it all for us! :)

momo07
August 18th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry what does E4D mean, with regards to timing. I have seen a few time on the boards and I'm trying to figure it out thanks.

ahorn586
August 18th, 2016, 01:38 PM
It means to dtd (do the deed) Every 4 Days in the effort to only have one attempt in the fertile window. This is for people who don't want to bother with OPKs.

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry what does E4D mean, with regards to timing. I have seen a few time on the boards and I'm trying to figure it out thanks.

:agree: I should really add that one, it's newer.

It means every 4 days' method - having unprotected sex every 4 days throughout your cycle. It's a pink sway tactic.