PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing over u/s

mummypink
November 25th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Is anyone else obsessing over their ultrasound pics in the hope they have got it wrong?!

Mine was done at 19 weeks and is so clearly a boy but I just cannot shake of that 'what if' feeling that they have got it wrong. I thought that after the scan I could just deal with the gender and concentrate on enjoying my pregnancy but I am still obsessing. :(

I get another scan at 32 weeks so I know I will have it confirmed then and my dh will not agree to a private scan as he doesn't see the need.

Has anyone been on here and been told they got the gender wrong at a later scan?

So wish I could just shake off this GD now!! xxx

Claire33
November 25th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but I think you're going to have to accept that the u/s was most likely right. I know it's tempting to hope the u/s was wrong, but the likelihood is pretty small. Hugs to you mama!

mummypink
November 25th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Claire, I know you're right. xx

mydream
November 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM
of course anything can happen and I know how you feel because when I found ds2 was a boy at 20 weeks I kept praying the tech made a mistake, I researched it, posted about it on other forums etc...but in the end he was/is very much a boy.

Sugaree
November 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've been obsessing over my nub shot. I even looked through all 80+ pages of confirmed girl nubs on IG. I was feeling good but then I started looking through the boy ones and getting discouraged again.

I remember doing the same as you with confirmed US pics with my other kids. It can be so hard to accept. I'm sorry you're feeling down right now.

mummypink
November 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks lovely ladies, yep I felt it the same with ds2 but not as bad as this. The pregnancy has seemed so different I think I had really convinced myself it was a girl without realising it.

It doesn't help that the hospital I had my scan at has been known to be wrong before on several occasions, but the tech was great and very certain and I was convinced at the time as well. It is only afterwards I've been obsessing and thinking surely it can't be another boy!

Really hope you get your girl this time Sugaree. x

homebirthing princess
November 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Hugs mummy (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

mummypink
November 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks HB xxx

coocoobananas
November 25th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I still think about mine and it was at 24 weeks and so clearly a penis lol!! It's hard to accept! I think it's that feeling like 'really? Not 1 out if 3 could be the opposite!??!' especially when it seems to come so easy for so many others!!

Mrs_P
November 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM
oh hunny i remember going there with ds3, they can be wrong, more likely if they tell you girl (which seems crueler to dangle the carrot and then ruin the dream). I have only heard of it being wrong with a boy once (and there is a pic up in our hospital of the newspaper clipping) and they'd seen the cord, baby was really a girl but at the time they hold the mom baby was in an awkard position and the guess wasn't 100%, but it does happen.

Only thing i can promise you is that you will separate your feelings of wanting a daughter from disappointment at hearing blue, took me a couple of months but i was so excited to meet Toby before he came and settled down about 7.5 months and was at peace with him being a boy. The desire for girl unfortunately didn't go though, it faded til he turned one then came back with a vengeance, hence me being here now. My little Toby was mean't for our family, he filled a hole i never knew existed and brought my boys and our family closer together. He and i have such a close relationship and he covers me in kisses every morning (real slobbery toddler ones which melt my heart) and he is forever loving his brothers. What i went through with him made me stronger and a better mother and made me appreciate my boys so much more, three sons are truely special

3boys
November 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I did it with DS3 and if this baby is another DS, I'm sure I will again. It's hard to let go of a dream isn't it.

I get lots of comments around town about how lovely and unusual three boys are... I try and look at it as being very very special if you only have one sex, after all we beat all the odds.

mummypink
November 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
oh hunny i remember going there with ds3, they can be wrong, more likely if they tell you girl (which seems crueler to dangle the carrot and then ruin the dream). I have only heard of it being wrong with a boy once (and there is a pic up in our hospital of the newspaper clipping) and they'd seen the cord, baby was really a girl but at the time they hold the mom baby was in an awkard position and the guess wasn't 100%, but it does happen.

Only thing i can promise you is that you will separate your feelings of wanting a daughter from disappointment at hearing blue, took me a couple of months but i was so excited to meet Toby before he came and settled down about 7.5 months and was at peace with him being a boy. The desire for girl unfortunately didn't go though, it faded til he turned one then came back with a vengeance, hence me being here now. My little Toby was mean't for our family, he filled a hole i never knew existed and brought my boys and our family closer together. He and i have such a close relationship and he covers me in kisses every morning (real slobbery toddler ones which melt my heart) and he is forever loving his brothers. What i went through with him made me stronger and a better mother and made me appreciate my boys so much more, three sons are truely special

Thanks Mrs P, your post brought tears to my eyes (in a good way!). I know you are right, this little man was clearly meant to be!

I'm lucky in that my dh would actually like 4 children, it is only me that thinks 3 is probably enough! I guess I am also worried about the comments we would get if we went for number 4 in a couple of years time, as well as how I would feel if it was another boy. I have had so many people tell me of relatives or friends they have that have 4 boys it makes me think that unless I really honestly and truly just want another baby after this one then I should stop at 3. Although a friend of mine had 3 boys and went on to have her little girl so you just never know!

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed that you get your little princess this time! xx

mummypink
November 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I did it with DS3 and if this baby is another DS, I'm sure I will again. It's hard to let go of a dream isn't it.

I get lots of comments around town about how lovely and unusual three boys are... I try and look at it as being very very special if you only have one sex, after all we beat all the odds.

You're right 3boys, instead of thinking how unlucky I must have been I should realise how lucky I am instead!! Fingers crossed you get your little pink bundle this time.

You ladies with 3 boys have to show me that it is possible to go on and have a girl! xxx

Mrs_P
November 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM

I wish i lived where you did, i think my three boys are pretty special but everyone i meet goes "3 Boys!" always like its a bad thing and some negative comment, really upsets me especially when they do it in front of them

3boys
November 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I wish i lived where you did, i think my three boys are pretty special but everyone i meet goes "3 Boys!" always like its a bad thing and some negative comment, really upsets me especially when they do it in front of them

I do get this as well. Once you have kids people think they have a public right to offer up comments on your family make up. The most usual one is... You've got your hands full!!

Just think though Hun.... These people must live pretty miserable, boring lives if they've got time to insult other people's family's. The fact that we wouldn't do this to ANYONE makes us nicer people and I would rather be a nice person with ten boys than a cow with a pigeon pair. Pitty them and hold your head high x

Mrssmudger
November 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I havent been on here recently, Ive been trying to come to terms with my GD but I've been thinking about you as you were still to find out your gender. I'm sorry you didnt get a pink one :(
I know how you feel about the mistaken gender thing tho and I am now obsessed thinking maybe we had it done too early!? I lloked at the scan again and thebubs was measuring 14w4d - can the gender be wrong at this age?? Although I did see a 'lump' between his legs!!
We can but dream!! lol x

mum08
December 2nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi mummypink i know how you feel i have wanted a girl so much i have 4 boys and another on the way and i was sure this baby was my girl..I had all girl votes at 12weeks i had a dream it was a girl and i feel like its a girl even when the 20week scan showed clear boy shot iam still in disbelieve its another boy..I know i will love this little one as much as my boys i just cant deal with the fact i will neva have my little girl that i have wanted so much..Hubby is book in for the snip in 2 weeks and baby is due in 10weeks..I am yet to find a name..I just wanted to let you know your not alone

mummypink
December 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks mum08, I'm so sorry you're feeling so sad. I can imagine 5 boys in a row is hard to get your head around as surely statistically the odds must have been for one girl in the mix. I wish I had a magic wand to give you your little girl, sending you a big hug. xx

Mrssmudger - yep 14w4d is early there is a chance for a mistake so I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for you. Do you get another scan so you can double check?
Mine was at 18+6 by my dates and the changed my due date at the scan which made me 19+4 so I know the reality is I really am having another boy. I still can't seem to get my head around it though, my gut instinct is still telling me this is a girl but I think it is just because I want a girl so badly.

ladymclemore
December 18th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I know how you feel. I am only 13 weeks but I am pretty sure I saw a boy nub on the ultrasound, and while the tech wouldn't tell me..she definitely looked surprised when that baby opened his little legs..she said, "umm..I've seen things that look like that turn into girls....before?" very questionable. I am almost certain it is a boy, his little nub is sticking straight up! I am getting a gender determination u/s on Jan. 12 and we will see then....

mummypink
December 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Best of luck ladymclemore, I really hope you get a surprise and you are expecting a little girl. xx