PDA

View Full Version : Are these supplements ok?

Chicky
March 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Well supplements etc....
Hoping someone can take a look and let me know if there is anything in these that makes them the wrong ones for ttc pink. Also, has anyone found a cranberry that is good? I was at the store today and the only ones they had did not look right to me.

Spring Valley Saw Palmetto Standardized Extract 160mg softgels
Serenoa Repens, Pure Olive Oil, Gelatin, Glycerin.
Isn't olive oil bad for ttc pink? I assume it's not enough to be bad though. What about the gelatin...is the small amount ok?

Spring Valley Folic Acid 800mg
Dicalcium phosphate, cellulose (plant origin), malodextrin, croscarmellose, vegetable stearic acid, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica

Nature Made Magnesium 250mg
Magnesium oxide, cellulose gel, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate

Equate Calcium Citrate +D 500IUI Vit D and 630mg calcium (I got the equate brand because citrical had a very small amount -like 10mg - of sodium)
calcium citrate, dicalcium phosphate, corn starch, coating (hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, modified corn startch, titanium dioxide, polyethylene glycol, magnesium triscillicate), cellulose, magnesium stearate, cholecalciferol

Sudafed 12hr - 120mg pseudophedrine extended release

Will also be getting some vitamin C - any recs on a brand for that?

Thank you!!

atomic sagebrush
March 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
As far as I can tell those are all ok, nothing is jumping out at me. Those are all common ingredients in pills.

The very small amounts of things in capsules and pills (like gelatin and olive oil), you just have to live with because they are necessary to the making of the pill.

I personally prefer antihistamines to Sudafed and I am iffy on Vit. D. It can raise testosterone (and if I was swaying pink again I would NOT take it) but I know it is a time honored part of the pink sway. You need to decide what feels right in your gut with Vit. D.

The cran I have is Sunkist brand gelcaps and I like them.

Chicky
March 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thank you. I was iffy on the D too but the only calcium citrate I could find had D in it. I'll keep looking. I will look into the Sunkist cranberry. Thanks again!

Chicky
March 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Ok I found some cvs brand calcium citrate that has 1000mg calcium citrate per 5 tablets. No other vitamins/minerals in them. So I will just take 3-4 of those to get 600-800mg and the rest from diet.
Also while I was at cvs I found some cvs brand super cranberry that has 3360 mg of fresh cranberry equivalent per 2 softgels (it says cranberry concentrate 280mg powder - vaccinium macrocarpon - fruit- from 12:1 concentrate). I would have to take 6 a day which I'll deal with, but it also has Vitamin C (200mg as ascorbic acid - so I would be getting 600mg taking 6) and Vitamin E (6IU as d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate). I know 500mg vit c and vitamin E are ok but worried it will be too much vit c. Just wanted to get opinions on if this is ok.
I looked into the sunkist online but it looks like the fresh fruit equivalent is really high. I'm not good at figuring that out though unless it tells me on the bottle

atomic sagebrush
March 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I would advise people not take ANY additional nutrients that I could avoid as a part of a pink sway. I know some other sites say that C and E are ok but I would rather people avoid nutrients when possible. In some ways I don't even know if cranberry is always the best choice - a baby aspirin a day can also acidify and it does so without adding nutrients.

I need an essay on cranberry conversion, don't I? It is confusing. That's actually what I like about those Sunkist cranberry pills, they are easy to figure out. (They are called, Grower Select Cranberry 36:1 extract). 36 grams of cranberry = 1 pill. 1000 mg in a gram, so each capsule is 3600 mg of whole cranberries. You can start off with one a day and see if it acidifies you, or take two or even three for 10,000 mg fresh fruit equivlalent (you can take between 1000-10,000 mg of cranberry, but I prefer that people start with the minimum dosage of all supps and see if it works for them before increasing dosage.)

You can get too much cranberry and it is a blood thinner, so be aware of this. If you begin to have nosebleeds or heavier periods, cut back on the cranberry right away, because blood thinners can cause bleeding in the brain or stomach that can KILL you.