PDA

View Full Version : Coke - good or bad for any sway?

Zivic-Bubac
March 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I was a huge Coca -Cola addict before swaying and I think it played one of the major roles in my very low CM pH (it was 4 when I 1st tested)

So I'm wondering: pH of Coca -Cola is 2,5 and it takes 10 glasses of pure water to neutralize 1 glass of Coke + it contains Phosphoric Acid, so it will definitely lower your pH.

On the other hand, it has some caffeine ( not much : a 12 ounce can of Coca- Cola contains 34,5 mg of caffeine) For those of us who's minds are working in metric system, 12 oz ~ 3,54 dl
The Diet Coke range actually contain about 40% more caffeine, but then again it has aspartame which sways pink (source: http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/coca-cola-classic)

Sugar content of Coca -Cola classic: 40.5 grams per 12 ounces (excessive, IMHO)

So is that amount of caffeine enough to block someones Calcium absorption or its acidic effect will outmatch?
( for example 8 ounces of brewed coffee has 1o8 mg of caffeine - much more, and pH of the coffee is 5.2- 6.9 depending on the type of the coffee and where the beans came from)

Boyjoy had great thread on ig about caffeine amount in various drinks, maybe she could post it here?

I believe Coca -Cola sway pink, especially Diet Coke. Am I right?
I've stopped drinking Coke ( and I miss it badly LOL!)

shouldihope?
March 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I saw on another site that a lady swayed pink after 3 DS's. She had in her sway that she drank caffeine free diet coke. I bought some the other day. So I am curious what others have to say.

nuthinbutpink
March 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Definitely horrible for a boy sway and nothing lowers your pH like fake sugar so caffeine free diet coke for girls. I would limit your intake though personally. Not great for overall health at all IMO.

TTC5
March 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I drank diet every single day with my girls!

My Fabulous Children
March 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I LOVE pepsi ..I am trying so hard to not drink it, but sometimes I can't. How bad is it if I only drink one can a day? :oops:

TulleExplosion
March 28th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I guzzled Coke for my first girl and Diet Coke for my next two. I plan to stay away when I ttc after this baby.

Freya
March 28th, 2011, 02:17 AM
It can be so addictive, I know. I actually drank it now and then during my last pregnancy (oops!). I wouldn't drink it now, but it's hard to stop. If you TTC boy, then it's soo bad for pH. Did you know they put so much sugar in it it is actually not good for thirst quenching - they want you to drink copious amounts so they make sure the drink actually makes you thirsty!

TulleExplosion
March 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Did you know they put so much sugar in it it is actually not good for thirst quenching - they want you to drink copious amounts so they make sure the drink actually makes you thirsty!
My friend told me that her old European Grandma used to give the kids soda on hot days because she was afraid their games would preoccupy them and that if she gave them soda, they would come back for more!

Zivic-Bubac
March 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I LOVE pepsi ..I am trying so hard to not drink it, but sometimes I can't. How bad is it if I only drink one can a day? :oops:

I think 1 can is still too much. It's better to stop completely. It is hard, but it can be done. If you drink 1 can a day it will keep your ph low while you are trying to bring it up.

atomic sagebrush
March 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I LOVE pepsi ..I am trying so hard to not drink it, but sometimes I can't. How bad is it if I only drink one can a day? :oops: If you eat protein when you drink it, that will help mitigate some of the bad things for blue. Prob. better to stop all together but then again, you don't want to lose any weight either.

I drink a lot of pop (except for with DS 2, where I drank it only occasionally) and have all boys so I do know it's possible!

atomic sagebrush
March 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I was a huge Coca -Cola addict before swaying and I think it played one of the major roles in my very low CM pH (it was 4 when I 1st tested)

So I'm wondering: pH of Coca -Cola is 2,5 and it takes 10 glasses of pure water to neutralize 1 glass of Coke + it contains Phosphoric Acid, so it will definitely lower your pH.

On the other hand, it has some caffeine ( not much : a 12 ounce can of Coca- Cola contains 34,5 mg of caffeine) For those of us who's minds are working in metric system, 12 oz ~ 3,54 dl
The Diet Coke range actually contain about 40% more caffeine, but then again it has aspartame which sways pink (source: http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/coca-cola-classic)

Sugar content of Coca -Cola classic: 40.5 grams per 12 ounces (excessive, IMHO)

So is that amount of caffeine enough to block someones Calcium absorption or its acidic effect will outmatch?
( for example 8 ounces of brewed coffee has 1o8 mg of caffeine - much more, and pH of the coffee is 5.2- 6.9 depending on the type of the coffee and where the beans came from)

Boyjoy had great thread on ig about caffeine amount in various drinks, maybe she could post it here?

I believe Coca -Cola sway pink, especially Diet Coke. Am I right?
I've stopped drinking Coke ( and I miss it badly LOL!)

This is a fantastic post and I will sticky it, too! Thank you!

This is one that I have never quite agreed with largely because I do drink pop regularly yet still have 4 boys. I don't think the limited amount of caffeine could have possibly blocked enough calcium to make any difference.

I tend to think that it can go either way depending on the rest of your diet. Prob. better for pink overall but if you eat it with protein you will be in boy zone with blood sugar levels.

Lara3
June 16th, 2012, 12:41 AM
What about the caffeine free diet coke for girl sway? Would that help at all?

Butterfly Spirit
June 16th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I was a MAJOR regular Coke addict with both of my pregnancies and I conceived 2 boys.

So while swaying girl I decided to stop drinking it. I have barely drank it since February! :)

During my sway I have found that caffeine can interfere with implantation!
Once I learned that, I avoided it and chocolate as much as I could.

I'm even going to wait until 12 weeks to have it again.

BeadinMom
June 16th, 2012, 01:04 AM
I was addicted to regular Coke, too - for all 3 of my pregnancies and have 3 boys.

If I drink any sodas this time around, they will DEFINITELY be diet!!

pinkin2011
June 16th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I would usually drink 1 or 2 600ml bottles of sugar free coke a day and i have done for years and I have 1 d/s and one on the way!

Butterfly Spirit
June 16th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I would usually drink 1 or 2 600ml bottles of sugar free coke a day and i have done for years and I have 1 d/s and one on the way!

:HH:

atomic sagebrush
June 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
ETA - Please check the date on this original post, it dates back to March of 2011 and as you can see from the response I just wrote, I have more information to go off of now. I like people bumping up old posts, I just want you to understand why my answer is a bit different now than it was 15 months ago.

NEW reply:

Well, I've gotten 4 boys drinking full sugar soda so I don't think it's any sort of magic bullet whatsoever.

1)I'm working on an essay about this, but I think you guys really need to set aside the idea that foods can make you acidic or alkaline, because it is biologically impossible. The pH of the acid in your stomach is 1.5-3.5, when you eat your body makes more stomach acid, and EVERYTHING you eat quickly drops to that level unless you are taking acid blockers like Prevacid. NOTHING you put into your mouth foodwise changes your pH (except your urine.) Gastric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_acid)

In fact it's even more biologically impossible that the pH of your BLOOD changes. I know many sites claim this as fact but when your blood pH varies outside a very narrow range, you DIE.
Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html)

I know people claim that their pH drops from taking supps and maybe it does. But many supps are formulated not to dissolve while in the stomach and they dissolve in your intestines instead (no stomach acid there) and may affect pH that way. Also, I do think that many times when we think our pH has dropped, really we've just dried up our CM and allowed the naturally low pH of the VJ to register on the pH sticks.

I took NO supps and only lost weight, and my pH dropped from 6 to 4.5 within just a couple weeks.

Low CM pH does seem to be an issue for people with fertility problems (hostile CM) but there are REASONS for that. Not the foods you eat. Your body lowers the CM pH when you take Clomid, but it's not because Clomid is super low in pH (because you only take it for 5 days anyway). Your body makes low pH in the CM for reasons that aren't entirely clear - we know it's probably at least in part to prevent infections but it may be some sort of primitive birth control as well.

2)I keep posting about this but I guess not everyone has heard, but the idea that caffeine blocks calcium absorption has been 110% totally debunked. It's just not true (yes, I'm aware there are several places on the Internet that still claim this as fact, no need to post links because the newest studies have clearly proven that caff does not contribute to bone loss nor does carbonated water.) The old studies that seemed to find that, failed to take into account that people who drink a lot of pop DON'T drink a lot of milk and tend to have lousy diets/lifestyles and therefore don't get enough calcium or do the types of bone-building exercise required to build bone.

3)Now, the real reasons why Coke might potentiall sway pink has to do with blood sugar, nutrients, and fertility.

Blood sugar - when you ingest a very sugary food like Coke, yoru blood sugar shoots up and then plummets after drinking it. So you actually end up with LOWER blood sugar than when you started out. Researchers have lowered blood sugar to dangerously low levels (in mice) by feeding them nothing but sugar. If you eat a little protein with your Coke, this will keep your blood sugar stable and can actually sway BLUE. A high carb but low fat/protein diet has been shown to sway pink.

Nutrients - the most reliable studies we have (Oxford Study and Nurses' Study II) show pretty definitively that calcium is required for fertility and women who ate the most calcium had more boys, not girls. So if you were drinking a lot of Coke at the expense of more nutritious foods, then you were getting a lot of calories for very little nutrition, which would sway pink.

Fertility - lower nutrient intake has been proven pretty definitively to reduce fertility and in the Nurses' Study II, high levels of carb ingestion also lowered fertility as well. Lower fertility seems to sway pink.

Anyway, nutshell version, if you're swaying blue you certainly don't need to cut out Coke from your diet entirely, but it can mess up your blood sugar, might interfere with your fertility, and takes the place of more nutrient dense foods that really will sway blue for you.

atomic sagebrush
June 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM
re Diet Coke, all the same things apply (except blood sugar, of course) and also the artificial sweeteners in Diet Coke may affect CM and fertility negatively as well.

atomic sagebrush
June 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
What about the caffeine free diet coke for girl sway? Would that help at all?

Here's a good thread about Diet Coke. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion/4437-calling-everyones-opinion-diet-coke-pink-sway.html